Frugal Village Forums banner

If you pay with cash only.....

Tags
cash pay
2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  britbunny 
#1 ·
Should businesses give you a discount?

In Winnipeg, some of the smaller companies are doing just that because they don't like the amount cc companies charge them to use their cards. When we lived there, I tried to shop at those places.

In Brandon, one of the large furniture companies will give you a 15% discount if you pay by cash for the exact same reason.

#6 ·
I'm noticing a trend when I run register at work. I have to ask every customer if they would like to apply for a Sears credit card when I ring up their order. In the 6 months I've been doing this, I've only ever had 1 person say yes and it turns out they were denied applying.

People are using their cards less and some (quite a few) admit to cutting them up!

Do I see cc's in our future? Not if this trend continues. Yeeee Haw!
Graci

#8 ·
It would be nice if they did! I would sure shop there as much as possible

G
#9 ·
Wow what a concept!!
Imagine the trend? turning back to cash!
I remember when I was younger- 20 or so- 'back in the day-1985 sshh'
I would write out a check and the cashier would ask me for a credit card. I didn't have one and this became a real problem as stores were not accepting checks unless you had a credit card.

Out I went to apply for my first cc at age 20. That was the beginning of my lack of control over spending. I blame it on the stores! (look at me always trying to blame others)

Then when I got into a jam by over-extending myself-1989- I put everything away and started to pay with checks again. I had to argue with the cashier- that I have the money (cash), in my bank account, to pay for this item . I do not need a credit card anymore. I argued the point that it's best to accept a check from someone who has no credit cards but has cash, rather than a check from someone who has a credit card but can not use it!
They didn't see the logic in that.

Anyway- what was the question here? Oh yeah... wouldn't it be funny that the stores actually offered a discount for cash? considering that it was the stores that insisted on credit cards?

#11 ·
Alot of places here will give a discount if you pay with cash, especially for electrical items etc (even though the stores say it's not their policy to do so).

I think it is good to ask, we've sometimes got extra free stuff if there was no cash discount to be had. "If you don't ask you don't get" as my mother always says.

I did hear in one store that a discount wouldn't be given for cash as it was easier to reconcile the till at the end of the day if they'd only taken CC transactions. So there was no incentive for the staff to do a deal as it made more work for them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.