Out Of Interest!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Out Of Interest!

I had a interesting conversation with my Granmother yesterday.
    She is blind and lives with other family members, but she raised a family of 7 and was widowed at a young age.

I was telling Gran about how we were being Frugal and living within our means(didnt tell her how much we owe mind you )....

Anyway, my gran was telling me that debt was almost an unused word when she was bringing up her family. They had to make do, she had no washing machine and often she went without food for her childrens sake. She then went on to tell me that in her opinion the ammount of debt people have is due to a change in society and the way society puts pressure on people/families to live outwith their means???

I do agree with her, I know we were trying to keep up with outher people and overspending etc....

Does anyone else agree that there is pressure on you to live outwith your means, buy your children good clothes and toys....etc?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree .... My children want to have the best clothes or sneakers but I just can't afford them, most times I put them on my credit card which makes a $75 pair of shoes almost $150.

Lately I've told my kids that I can't afford those anymore and they will have to make do with what I can get them without using my CCs. While they understand they always say "Everyone has those, I need to have it to". It gets annoying at times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel that there is tonnes of pressure....but...I REFUSE to let the pressure get to me. In fact, I have to laugh at how much people stress about having the best of everything.....to keep up with the Joneses.

Example....at xmas, I refuse to go into debt. I enjoy the holidays but it is the togetherness that I enjoy. I don't do any extra baking than I normally do. So we always have home baked cookies or dessert at any given time of the year. We put up the decorations we have...simple, elegant and nice. We have always just bought the kids one gift each so they have never come to expect more.

So when people ask me how I can afford to stay home, I just say that we have set up our priorities as to what works for us and it is very affordable for me to stay home.

I enjoy a simplistic life...so much more relaxing than trying to keep up with the Joneses. I have friends that do keep up with the Joneses and they are always rushed, anxious and stressed....always needing more and always the best. It's a personal choice and we enjoy the choices we made.
    Tamara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree that there is pressure, however, you have to make your mind up to not give into that pressure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by AmyBoz
    I agree that there is pressure, however, you have to make your mind up to not give into that pressure.
    I agree with what Amy has said. It's a choice has to whether you give into the pressure or not.

At some point, all this debt is going to come back to haunt people. All this debt govern'ments have is also going to play a huge role down the road as to how we live.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know that kids can put a lot of pressure on their parents to buy them the latest toys and fashions, but don't cave in too much! I am a reasonable person, and I know that a child doesn't want to be too different from his/her peers. They can still dress fashionably, and it doesn't have to break the family bank. It was amusing to observe our 4 children. Once they were responsible for buying more of their clothes with babysitting or part-time job money, they suddenly found out they didn't really need so much! Likewise, it has never bothered me to drive cars for 15 years until they pretty much die a natural death. It just feels so good to know it is paid for!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree that there is so much pressure out there. Today DH and I saw a TV commercial with two women comparing their vacations and which one was better (who had the 5 start hotel, who had 1st class airfare, etc) - and we both agreed that we were almost offended. Today there is way too much pressure to "keep up with the Joneses" or at least "not to seem poor."

But I also think that you can train yourself to look past it and get over it - it takes a while, but it can be done.

guest7
    Tourist

I agree with the agree-ers
    I'm so done with keeping up with the jones'

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We never made our kids feel "entitled" to all the newest and best of things. We offered them an allowance for clothing and or shoes (unless I bought their things on a clearance rack, garage sale, thrift store and until they got the "eeewww, it's used attitude") and if that wasn't enough for them to have what they wanted, they had to make up the difference. We did that with college too. You can go here...... or... figure it all out yourself.
    If we continue to keep up with the Jones'es we're depriving ourselves of a secure future. We have to take control and stop it. Before it's too late.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by frugalfanny
    I agree with the agree-ers
    I'm so done with keeping up with the jones'