Frugal Village Forums banner

UGH I need motivation..

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Mamaw 
#1 ·
I have been slacking on my frugality lately. I started an externship at a lawfirm and still attend a class and have gotten lazy. When I was just taking the class I could keep up with things around the house easily and not be so tired. I'll be glad when the thing is OVER.
Anyone else have this happen? I was doing SO well and now I am spending money on fast food and so on. Hopefully once I get used to doing the externship I will get back on track. :-(

#2 ·
Missy,

The only thing that pops into my mind so early this morning is to realize all the extra money your spending by eating out and then think about how much you can save if you started brining your lunch or as it says in one book "Buy your drinks/soda in bulk from the store, they cost about 25cents in bulk while you may spend $1 a day on a drink, it saves you $22.50 a month, and that's on the drink alone".

I am sure you will get back on track you just have to set your mind to it.

I'm with you all the way!

#3 ·
Ask the kids to pack you up a lunch...that could be interesting.;)
I'm sure everyone would be envious of your lunch, all kinds of good stuff.
Speaking of those kids I think they can help out a little more.;)

#4 ·
Darlene said:
Ask the kids to pack you up a lunch...that could be interesting.;)
I'm sure everyone would be envious of your lunch, all kinds of good stuff.
Speaking of those kids I think they can help out a little more.;)
LOL, I'm just imagining what you would end up with for lunch, explain a box of raisins, a banana and an apple, cookies, pretzels with a few hersheys kisses, oh that'd be nutritious and balanced!

You'll get back on track, a change of schedule always throws me for a loop too.

kj

#6 ·
It always throws me off my frugality when I have a major change in my routine. I completely understand what you're talking about. Take a weekend, say this next one and spend part of your time on housework but require more help from the fam. on that one and then spend some quality time planning your meals and snacks and whatever else you'll be having to spend money on over the next 2 weeks out. Grocery shop and maybe even cook a couple of freezer meals up for the nites when you're too tired to cook when you get home. Or you could buy a couple of convenience foods, keeping in mind that it will save you money over eating out or bringing home take home to cook up something quick. It's hard and it sounds like you've got your hands full but also sounds very worth while. Hang in there! :hugz:

#7 ·
This happens to me as well. It helps for me to get a few freezer meals ready to go. spend a day on the weekend getting some meals together as well as making up some quick breads or something for the kids to snack on or eat for breakfast. Once I get going in the kitchen I can get a lot accomplished. I also try to buy a few convienence foods at the grocery store. I try to always have a frozen pizza here, so on those nights I am tempted to order pizza, I can make the frozen one quicker than the pizza delivery guy can be here. Toss a salad while it is cooking and you have a meal. If you buy chicken nuggets or fish sticks or something, you can add a salad, frozen corn and some rolls and have a good meal. Purchasing a few quick foods from the grocery store is cheaper than ordering or getting fast food and is generally better for you, although not the best.

I have been where you are! It usually happens after I have a baby though. This is a short season of your life. Do the best you can and don't beat yourself up over small things. All you can do is try your best.

Jennifer

#8 ·
I actually do take my lunch but slack a bit on cooking dinner. i am going to cook in bulk again and freeze leftovers. I hate a change in my routine!

#9 ·
I have two words for you, my friend. No, one word. No, two words. No, one word. Oh, I don't know.

I just have one thing to say: Crockpot!

#11 ·
I understand I had this happen to me a few months ago when my health took a turn for the worse, just remember to take it one day at a time and you can get back on track. pick one thing to change like taking you lunch then pick another before you know it you will be right back on track, I also gave the kids some extra chores and for a reward we made some cookies or something from scratch on the weekend since things were already done this helped alot. just remeber to breath and this to shall pass.

#13 ·
I would definately say pack a lunch. Or on say Sat or Sun prepare your lunches for the next week. That way all you have to do is grab your lunch right before you walk out the door.
You can get a nice insulated lunchbox. My husband has one where there is a pocket in the bottom the sandwich goes in. Then in the top I put his 2 cold sodas his chips and cookies. Then there are 2 side pockets where I put energy bars.

#15 ·
Yeah. That's life. At times you do sooo good and then you blink and you've fallen off the wagon. But even when I'm off the wagon, I remind myself of all I have accomplished. And you probably don't even realize how some of your other unfrugal "old habits" haven't come back. You have made progress. AND you realize that you've fallen off the wagon and that it bothers you. That will do more to get back on that horse than anything will.

You need to spend a little time brainstorming to adjust to your new routine.

Maybe make meatloaf one night and make 4 instead of just 1, the extras to the freezer. And maybe make a big turkey over the weekend and freeze extra cooked turkey for something else. And convenience foods to help you along. Maybe brainstorm a list of "quick", less effort meals. Frozen raviolis and sauce. Make a big salad and dish it out for days.

And sometimes you just have to remind yourself that you can't do everything and that's okay.

#17 ·
I understand. I also have a work situation that is causing me to back slide somewhat. I am also finding it hard to cook dinner every night. By the time you get home you are just so tired and the last thing you want to do is cook and clean. What I think needs to happen is that we need to cook over the weekend and freeze a few things. Also have breakfast for dinner one night a week. Omelets, waffles and the like are easy and make a nice change. Lets bring out the crockpots and put some soup or chile in them. And maybe, just maybe, lets put the family in charge of dinner one night a week or so.....I did this last week and DH actually made stuffed pork chops! I still had to add a salad and veggie but at least he got it going! Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.