Just can't seem to get back on track
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Just can't seem to get back on track

I have fallen off the frugal wagon plenty of times, but I've always been able to dust myself off and get back on. Except this time. I fell off the wagon a few months ago, and can't even seem to get the desire to want to jump back on. I don't pay attention to things like long distance calls, usage of things, etc. Thanks for listening. Any advice?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some times are just tougher than others, aren't they!

Maybe pick one thing to work on for a week? A small step that you used to be comfortable with and have just drifted away from?
    You can do it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe use Instant Messaging or email instead of long distance?

Maybe find a cheaper long distance plan or phone card? or better yet, have them call you.

I'm the same way with spending money on eating meals out. I like to put up notes on my desk to remind myself of my "greater goals."

I've fallen off the wagon so many times, I've lost track.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try regifting, give a gift that you get to someone else, I do it all the time to relieve debt!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck! We all feel this way from time to time, but you know that you have a world of support here at these boards - keep going, we're all right behind you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Jennifer! I actually made a post similar to yours in february. Seriously that post was the motivational factor to help push me back in the right direction.
    Hop back on that bandwagon!Just plan small inexpenive treats for yourself/family along the way for a job well done!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post to the Weekly Frugal Challenge threads. That way, you can list those little baby steps and they'll add up. That's what I do.

I'm somewhat off the wagon right now, too, since I got my income tax refund. I have that excited attitude over having money in the bank. Fortunately, I've limited my shopping to a few minor purchases that we needed.

Well, okay, I didn't need twenty bucks worth of seeds from the mail order gardening place, but...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Falling off the wagon is sooo normal.

Now, you have to spend a few minutes asking yourself why you don't want to get back on? Are you overwhelmed in another part of your life? Are you just tired of counting pennies? Do you feel that you just aren't getting anywhere despite your hard work?

I think if you stop and identify what the problem is, then you can move from there.

Game enough to post the answer to this question?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jennifer,

It is pretty easy to fall off and lose your way, especially if you have been being frugal for a long time and it is not really who you are. That's a real problem for me.

I think the first step to getting back on track is saying it out loud and you have done that. Good luck and don't beat yourself up. Just keep trying, you can do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm battling the same thing right now, only my big fall off the wagon is eating out. I can control every thing else pretty much so by just staying out of the store. But eating out is so easy and it's so easy for me to make excuses.

I'm still of the wagon for lunch but have done really well this week with not eating dinner out. So that is my focus this week, hopefully by splitting it into two steps I will come completely out of it by next week. But it's hard. I keep hoping that this is just something I will have to fight at the beginning and not something that will be a problem the whole time I paying down debt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like several before have said, identify one thing to do. It can be so overwhelming to try and set to many goals at one time. I try do focus on incorporating one thing into my lifesytle at a time.

A couple of weeks ago I began to hang laundry. A small step but I am enjoying it.

Now I am practicing on coupons. It may work or may not.

Set a goal to do 1 thing. Also, if you have debt. Focus on the one that you can pay off the quickest. Put your energy into that one debt. Then when that is paid off you will have some momentum back.

We are all wishing you much success.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This board definitely keeps me on track. Seeing my total debt at the end of each message I post is a reminder of why I can't just swing by the yarn shop, or buy a bunch of gourmet crackers at the grocery store, or even why I can do without that caramel macchiato at Starbuck's. Since I have been entering the challenges, I am much more aware of my spending and I am better about consciously saying "no' to myself, as opposed to the old me, who would justify it with, "Oh, it's just a $2.00 cup of coffee - what's $2.00 in the scheme of things?"

I've still got a long way to go, but I suspect as you get closer to your goal, it is easier to "fall off the wagon," because there is almost a fear of success going on. Being frugal and saving money becomes who you are while you are striving for your goal, so some little voice tells you that when you get there, you will lose that identity.

I haven't fallen off the wagon in a big way since making this committment, but I suppose if I start, my way back would be to remind myself of why I'm doing this, what my goals are, and why they are a heck of a lot more important and valuable than that dinner at Applebee's. :-)
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know how you feel. We had a couple of DIY projects that we paid cash for. In order to do it right we had to buy items that werent necessarily planned for but were needed.

It kinda got me a bit lax, I spent on other things too or ok'd it. It was cash so no debt, but still.

Im back on track but it took a hike in our property taxes to kinda shock me back on track.

What I tried first was keep a written tally on everything we spent. Just seeing it all on paper seems to help in cutting back.

You could just start with fast food and grocery purchases as that can be fairly flexable.

I think its best to start with a little something not too tedious to help get back on track. You can do it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by ironmaiden
    Falling off the wagon is sooo normal.

Now, you have to spend a few minutes asking yourself why you don't want to get back on? Are you overwhelmed in another part of your life? Are you just tired of counting pennies? Do you feel that you just aren't getting anywhere despite your hard work?

I think if you stop and identify what the problem is, then you can move from there.

Game enough to post the answer to this question?
    Yea, I'm game. I don't want to get back on the wagon, because I guess I'm tired of not seeing more results. Lately, I just want to ignore our financial issues.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So, how long were you on the wagon?
    What did you accomplish?
    Did you make a dent in your debt?
    What new skills did you learn?
    What did you learn about yourself?
    How did you feel about yourself when you were on the wagon?

And, yes, I am expecting answers - that accountability thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast