Sitting on the fence of poverty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Registered User Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,221
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Sitting on the fence of poverty

    http://sharonhr.blogspot.com/2006/08...f-poverty.html

    Sounds like a interesting show is coming out, showing people that have to survive on minimum wage.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Registered User Valerie in WA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    1,421
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I think it's an interesting question. There is little doubt in my mind that it's next to impossible to live on minimum wage. But what are the solutions?

    Should everyone go to college and get a better job? Who would pay for that education? The government? Guess what! The government doesn't have any money of its own - that all our money. And then who would do the minimum wage jobs? We all need and want janitors and fast food workers.

    Should we raise minimum wage? Where's that money going to come from? Companies will have to pass the cost on to the consumer. That means things will cost more and poor people still won't be able to afford things.

    I don't know what the solution is, but this documentary looks interesting.

    Morgan Spurlock (formerly of Fast Food Nation) has a show called Thirty Days. In the pilot episode (aired last year), he and his girlfriend arrived in a small city on the bus, with very little resources and obtained and tried to make it on minimum wage jobs - for thirty days. It was a mess, in the end. She got sick and both missed work to take her to the ER (she had a kidney infection), and of course the bills were piling in for the ER visit and her meds. Their apartment was infested and they ate little more than rice & beans.

    Tough issues.

  3. #3
    Registered User Michelle68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,612
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    This sounds like it will be an interesting program. Right now I'm reading a very interesting book called "Inequality Matters", a series of essays regarding the working poor in America and how difficult it is with the rising cost of housing, education, etc. to really get ahead in America. Very interesting subject matter. I think, as a start, the minimun wage should be raised. Although consumers might feel a bit of an increase in prices from businesses, the last time the minimum wage was increased (around 10 years ago.) I do not recall a dramatic increase in what I was paying at stores and for services. Using the argument of increasing costs to consumers to detract from an increase of minimum wage, IMHO, is not relevant. Costs are rising all the time, even without an increase in wages. If wages do not keep up with rising costs then eventually people will be earning last century paychecks and struggling to pay 21st century prices for goods, housing and education. Thanks for the link, Shell.


    --Michelle
    ~ Michelle



    Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

    Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $37,390.12

    ----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

  4. #4
    Registered User dwallyfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    interesting shows.

    Kellie
    Kellie

    2014 Goals
    1. Save $150 each month from frugality
    2. Earn $1000 each month
    3. Get down to 135 by 7/11

  5. #5
    Moderator baxjul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    W. Central Florida
    Posts
    10,774
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Sounds interesting!


    June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

  6. #6
    Registered User autumnlynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,999
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    It does sound interesting. I don't know how anyone can survive, let alone lead a decent life, on minimum wage. In the case of Jerry, the security guard, he lives in San Francisco which is one of the most expensive areas in the country.

  7. #7
    Registered User i.m.cheap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Kansas
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,346
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Well, that really hit home for us. DH is attending college full-time, while working as a fry cook for $9.00 an hour. I work as a cashier (part-time) and make $8.00 an hour. Our rent and utilities consume over half of our take home pay. My main worry is that DH will finish school, and not make much more, if he can even find a job. Then we will have student loans to repay. We are not just starting out, either, we have been married eleven years.

    Most of our friends work the same kind of jobs we do, with no health insurance, paid vacation or any other benefits.

  8. #8
    Registered User kabin63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    IN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,200
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    interesting stories.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks to Shell for mentioning this topic with the link to my blog.

    The stories summarized from the PBS show chilled me because I thought about how close many of us are to the poverty line.

    From minimum-wage employees to six-digit income executives, there are a lot of us who are just a paycheck or two away from financial ruin.

    Your comments gave me a lot to think about and I will try to watch the show.

    Thanks again Shell.
    I registered on this forum to thank you and I will continue to participate.

  10. #10
    Registered User bee9984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    49
    Posts
    821
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    10
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Thanks Shell for posting this and Welcome Frugal Duchess I will be reading your blog often

    I can't wait to see this show, I love the PBS station
    Starting Totally Over. Working on the Dave Ramsey Baby Steps!

    Challenges:

    Baby Emergency Fund: $642./ $1000

    Debt :

    Visa #1 $3404.79/ $3500
    Visa #2 $3551.74/ $3500
    M.C #3 $1707.18/ $1800
    LOC #4 $3000/$8000
    Mortgage $54,559.53/60,000

    Other:
    Retirement Savings $97,769

    My Blog: Living A Simple Life

    http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/blogs/bee9984/

  11. #11
    Registered User brenda67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,956
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    This is a very interesting subject...And very sad at the same time...With the rising cost of everything lately...I can't see how anyone can make it even with higher paying jobs...take the cost of home heating fuel for example to heat my home this winter(thats if we have a mild winter)will be over a $1000.00...thats scary!!! Now mind you we live below are means and have money put away....But that could easily wipeout anyones savings... Yesterday I over heard a co-worker of mine say that her Boyfriend had his fuel tank filled and had to pay over $4500.00..OMG...I could of fell off my chair..

    Rents around here are more than mortgages.....a little one bedroom apartment is no less then $800.00 a month with nothing included...


    I'm a CNA I don't have a high school diploma or a GED...my job is very physical and can be very mentally overwhelming...I often think that I just don't get paid enough for what I do ( I love taking care of the elderly)...But then that would require me going back to school...which is not an option for me right now..I work in Conn and live in NY..and found out that I make more then most LPN'S in NY State.. Kind of shocking to hear that when you don't have any education and someone else does and you make more money then they do... by the way in case your wondering I make $15.50 an hr...I guess I shouldn't complain....
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

  12. #12
    Moderator aka AmyBob AmyBoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,725
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries
    43
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Thanks, Shell! I'm really hoping that I remember to watch!

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bee9984 View Post
    Thanks Shell for posting this and Welcome Frugal Duchess I will be reading your blog often

    I can't wait to see this show, I love the PBS station
    Thanks for such a warm welcome Bee9984 (and company) I appreciate the wave.
    take care!!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    This is a very interesting subject...And very sad at the same time...With the rising cost of everything lately...I can't see how anyone can make it even with higher paying jobs...take the cost of home heating fuel for example to heat my home this winter(thats if we have a mild winter)will be over a $1000.00...thats scary!!! Now mind you we live below are means and have money put away....But that could easily wipeout anyones savings... Yesterday I over heard a co-worker of mine say that her Boyfriend had his fuel tank filled and had to pay over $4500.00..OMG...I could of fell off my chair..

    Rents around here are more than mortgages.....a little one bedroom apartment is no less then $800.00 a month with nothing included...


    I'm a CNA I don't have a high school diploma or a GED...my job is very physical and can be very mentally overwhelming...I often think that I just don't get paid enough for what I do ( I love taking care of the elderly)...But then that would require me going back to school...which is not an option for me right now..I work in Conn and live in NY..and found out that I make more then most LPN'S in NY State.. Kind of shocking to hear that when you don't have any education and someone else does and you make more money then they do... by the way in case your wondering I make $15.50 an hr...I guess I shouldn't complain....
    Rents are also climbing in Miami and many people live in low-income hotels because they can't afford to get together three months rent (security deposit) for a regular apartment. And these are hard-working people with steady, but low to medium-wage jobs.

    I know a woman, with a very decent income, who has recently stopped driving her car because she can no longer afford the gas for the auto. She takes a scooter around and saves her car for bad weather.

  15. #15
    Registered User Shell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,221
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Duchess View Post
    Thanks to Shell for mentioning this topic with the link to my blog.

    The stories summarized from the PBS show chilled me because I thought about how close many of us are to the poverty line.

    From minimum-wage employees to six-digit income executives, there are a lot of us who are just a paycheck or two away from financial ruin.

    Your comments gave me a lot to think about and I will try to watch the show.

    Thanks again Shell.
    I registered on this forum to thank you and I will continue to participate.
    It's great to have you here and you're welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Poverty if under $68,000?
    By nodmicks in forum General Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM
  2. Poverty sucks!
    By Daisygirl in forum Debt Reduction & Money Management
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 09:52 PM
  3. The changing face of Poverty
    By COUNTRYBUMPKIN in forum Frugal Living
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 08:22 PM
  4. My poverty pantry......
    By captclearance in forum Frugal Living
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 09:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •