Moving!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Moving!

Some of you may recall a few months back we were up in the air about moving or not moving, etc.... Well, long story short: After finding out about the baby we asked the landlady to renew a lease and negotiated the terms and she was supposed to be writing it up. Well, out of the blue (four days after dh called her to see what the hold up was on the lease) she called and demanded an extra $200 more per month than we had agreed to or we had to leave. Well, our rent is paid through July 4th as our last month was paid in advance and we decided we'd rather not deal with her anymore so we're looking. I've found a couple of prospective places, but I'm just so lost, lol. One place is literally 500 sq. ft. smaller and the same as what we're paying now. We're in a condo now to give some perspective. This is a house with a huge backyard. Everything is seven years old or less and it comes furnished with a washer/dryer. There's no extra pet deposit and overall, the guy seems pretty nice. We had planned on downsizing a lot of our stuff anyway, but there's no storage space and some of the stuff we have, it really makes no sense to get rid of as we will need it again. Also, we have a large chest freezer and we'd have to either sell our table and hutch and get a smaller table or get rid of the freezer. I really hate to do either honestly. This house is literally just up the street so there is still some potential for dh to bike to work and dd would stay in the same school. With the baby coming though and dh continuing to work three jobs, it's still very likely we'll need to acquire a second car anyway. The bedrooms are very small and we'd also likely have to sell our bedset and try to get something smaller to be able to fit the crib in our room. Also, we don't have our mower down here (and it's not the easiest thing to get here at this point) so we'd have to get a mower or pay for lawn service.

The second place is a duplex with an elderly couple living next door. The rent is $75 less than what we're paying and it's only about 100 sq. ft. smaller than where we are so we could still downsize, but would have room for the important stuff. I don't know about storage. We are supposed to go and see it tomorrow. I had given up as the lady had previously had someone interested and I guess they changed their mind. This home doesn't have a washer/dryer so we would need to get those (I've seen them fairly inexpensively all over the place) and we would absolutely have to get a second car for dh as it's not a feasible biking distance. There would be a small pet deposit as well and dd would go to a different school within the same district. It does have a nice fenced in yard as well. This lady is also very nice. We chatted for a good thirty minutes last week and really seemed to get along. She's raising her grandson as her dd passed away three years ago and so she was very sympathetic about changing schools and the like.

Both places want about the same amount for deposit so that's not an issue with the exception of the pet deposit, but that's not that significant.

I know I'm probably putting the cart before the horse here, but I am just so confused. I really don't have a problem downsizing, but storage is important to me. I know we could sell our bedset, but probably not for what dh seems to think we could get for it. My attachment to physical things is not what it used to be so I don't care either way. I just keep thinking that what we need will be there when we need it as long as we keep our focus and positive outlook. Last week we had no rental prospects and this week we have two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it were me, I would go with the duplex that is only 100 sq. ft. smaller. Do remember that with the bankruptcy on your record and being so recent, that you may be denied at a few places when trying to rent. So try and have as many options available as possible.

auntie

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, that has factored into a few other places. Plus, our landlord is giving us a really hard time about being a reference. The house is immaculate despite all of us having been sick for a week and all of the packing, etc.... She just seems very unstable and in hindsight, I guess she always has been. I always try to see the good in people, but she has been obnoxious and rude to me on more than one occasion. I'm hoping this doesn't become an issue for us. These two places don't want to run credit checks and I have no problems being perfectly honest. I'd rather they know and understand where we're coming from than not know and feel deceived should they find out in the future somehow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't mind the duplex option, I would choose that one as well. The rent is less than what you are paying now, so that could pay for DH's gas to travel back and forth to work if he needs to take the car. It is also only 100 sq. ft. smaller than your current living arrangement and since storage is important to you, this one seems like the idea choice. The fenced yard is a plus! Good luck with your decision!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Im voting for the 2nd option - the duplex.
    Its cheaper in rent per month, the land lady is nice and sympathetic and totally can relate to you and you seem to get along well, the fenced in yard is a bonus but the fact that you're paying $75 less a month (though theres a pet deposit and you'll need to buy a washer/dryer) and only losing 100 sq ft. You wont even miss that 100 sq ft. Plus the kids will get to play OUTSIDE not inside so that extra bit of space may not feel lost at all.

Let us know what you decide upon...or is there a third option?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd also say go for the duplex. You wouldn't be losing so much space, the rent is cheaper and the landlord sounds nice. And the fenced in backyard will be invaluable, you can send the kids to play when you're busy with the baby. Good luck!

--Michelle
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $37,846.99

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks. I guess I forgot to mention the house also has a fenced in backyard. The yard itself is actually about three times the size of the yard at the duplex. I'm meeting with the landlady at the duplex today to see the inside and get an idea of the actual storage available, etc.... This is the first time I'm going to look at something without dh, but time is invaluable right now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too would go with the house that is only 100 sq ft smaller, which in the long run really isnt that much plus the rent is cheaper too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Before you make a final decision, check out the new school. Even schools in the same district can vary widely so you'll want to ensure that the one your daughter will go to is as nice as the one she would leave.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd opt for the duplex too. One hundred square feet isn't much difference. Depends how it's laid out. We moved from 2400 sq. ft. to 2200 sq. ft. and the house seemed empty. Go figure. It was just the layout.

Hope everything checks out okay! I'm praying for you. {{{Hugs}}}

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Update

Well, I took dh last night to meet the lady and see the duplex. As it turns out the yards are actually seperated as well and even though it's fairly close to a main road, it's pretty quiet. We spent about an hour going around the property and talking to the lady and then......she asked for an application. I didn't omit anything, but I'm scared now. I can only hope that she can see we're just honest people looking for a place to make our home. The rooms are a bit smaller than what we have here, but it's all one level and the layout would allow us a seperate room for our desk, filing cabinets, etc.... The backyard is full of trees which is pretty rare down here. The neighbors' areas were all extremely well kept and they had a small garden growing around their patio. It really felt like a nice and quiet neighborhood so I really hope she picks us. The school dd would go to is a great school. It's one of three I was leaving open as a consideration if we had to move out of our current zone. She already knows one person in her grade that goes there so I know she's a little more comfortable knowing that at least she knows someone. It's probably only a three minute drive. I wouldn't want to walk it because it's across a six lane road with a turning lane, but there's a good possibility she wouldn't get bus transportation. If the lady calls and says the place is ours I'm going to call the school and see if someone can check for me so there's no surprises in the fall.

I guess worst case scenario is that we don't get it and have to go with the other house. It's not like downsizing would be all that bad. Dh also may have a painting job at the duplex. The exterior trim and such needs redone. He gave her a quote that seemed quite reasonable based on the work involved. She said that if she picks us we would arrange to take it off the rent. I think dh impressed her when he said it didn't all have to come off one month but could be spread out over four or six so they didn't take a big hit on one month. I have a good feeling about it, but I can't help but worry. I know why we made the decisions we did and I know we have a lot of work to do to keep things cleaned up and we're on the right path. I've just been praying that whatever is right for us will come to us. Last week this place was spoken for and this week we had the opportunity to apply for it so if it's meant be then we'll be chosen for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep us posted on how it works out! Wishing you all the best!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Guys,
    You Know I actually am going to vote for the first choice. Based on
    1. DH being able to bike to work. Gas and Insurance ain't getten any cheaper- (not to mention repairs)
    2. Yard
    3. Same school for kid- without the lane changing walk.

The duplex seems to force you into having to own a car-a huge expense by itself. Also let me tell you if you have a baby on the way and it is crappy weather and your kid needs to go to school. well without a car you have a wretched walk or you keep your kid home. Plus..the idea of downsizing well..If you cherry pick out of current belongings you should be able to furnish nicely without too much cost and moving. and then..well do you have craigslist? there.. cheap and good.
    The biggest neg about the townhouse that I can see, is that I see from the pix you have kids already and a baby? Sympathetic she might be about children..but face it she is 70 and a crying baby and active kids might be far different from one solitary child. I kinda think that a stand alone house would be better. Anyway whichever way it goes..I wish you guys the best..
    just my .02

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm leaning toward the first option for the same reasons that Leahmom mentioned. Yeah, the duplex is $75 less, but if you have to buy a 2nd car, you've just lost that $75. Plus, the cost of gas is getting higher and higher, you'd have to pay to insure that second car, oil changes and maintenance cost money...

I know it wouldn't be great to have to get rid of your furniture, but that seems a small sacrifice compared to the car costs that the duplex might add to your expenses. If you have an IKEA near you, check it out for space-saving ideas. You may have things already that can be used in new and different ways to maximize a small space.

And there's always the third option, which is to keep looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast