Disappointed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Disappointed

I got the complete Tightwad Gazette from the library and was quite disappointed in it. A lot of things were quite "out dated" I thought. For example, we all know how crazy groceries have become. Here in Denver, it makes no sense to buy powdered milk because it equals the same price (and quantity) as 2 gallons of 2% milk. (buying milk from Costco, that is. Costco doesn't sell Powdered milk so I am going by Kroger pricing) A lot of things that she does with items, I would never do because I don't see how it saves money and I visualize more clutter build up. I did get a few things from it (recipes for cleaners, food, etc...) which will be helpful, but overall I didn't feel it was all that great. Am I the only one that feels this way...or did I just miss a few things in my "speed reading"?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some things are definitely "dated" in the book (the internet was just getting big, for one example!).

In a few places in the books, Amy mentions using the newsletters/books as an inspiration rather than a "cookbook". In one article (the create-a-muffin one), she points out that everyone may not have access to free pumpkins and blueberries like she does, but to take advantage of what you *do* have that is free/cheap.

Also, specifically as far as the powdered milk, somewhere in there she addresses the fluctuating price of "fluid" milk versus powdered, and how it may not always be cheapest to buy powdered.

So...I do AND don't agree, LOL. I'm currently re-reading it and come across tips that simply are NOT relevant today (does anyone use their landlines for long distance anymore? There's a lengthy article about long-distance carriers and how they practically pay you to switch to them.......now, not so much!). But I also used the create-a-loaf article to make some awesome bread today...since it's less a recipe than a guide to creating your own bread with what you have, I'm able to really tinker with what I like and don't like MORE than with a recipe.

Lisa
    Gratitude.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wasn't very thrilled with them either.

I felt that I got much more practical advice on how to reduce my day to day cost of living here at the village.
    McD
    -wife to Z
    -mommy to Dubya & Moo Cow

Blog: http://familystylemayhem.com/

My Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/nicd...view=thumbnail

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think the real value of the TWG is the change of mind and attitude towards the normal way of doing things. Not so much a "recipe" for frugal living, as everyone's circumstances are different.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

much of what she says is still able to be used today. The price book... know your prices. How to calculate the actual costs of things. Its more then meets the eye.

Take much of what she says with also a big picture in mind... re-using an evelope??? well, otherwise, it helps waste a tree, and or clutters land fills... and saves you what... 1-3 cents? well, you have to have one penny before you can have two...

small thoughtful changes are what she was also after. As well as a few major what I would have concidered no way in heck changes that she did/does. We live in a society of bigger is better, newer is better, keep up with the jones. She wants one to be aware of thier suroundings and use it to thier advantage.

will I bother to save and wash and reuse baggies? No. Not gonna happen. for one, I dont get baggies. I have rubbermaid containers, and for those instences where I worry I might not get it back, I save butter containers that I concider more disposable. But I must say, I read the baggie thing years ago... I bet I have saved well over 50.00-100.00 now by not buying the baggies at all anymore.

toile
    Tourist

I have to agree with Sunshine.
    The TWG is all about being "bitten by the frugal bug".

Amy doesnt even follow many of those tips herself. She shares them all though.

The book is to get you motivated about beating grocers at their own game, or challenging yourself.

If you could have seen interviews with her on the Old Phil Donahue show that might have helped.

Amy saw a show on Tightads. Everyone was laughing at the families.... Amy took notes!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    I wasn't very thrilled with them either.

I felt that I got much more practical advice on how to reduce my day to day cost of living here at the village.
    I think this is a great example of how the internet has changed our world so drastically. When the TWG was in newsletter and book form, there was no internet to speak of. Tightwads had no real "community", outside of hearing about someone like Amy D. through Parade magazine or the Phil Donahue show then subscribing to her newsletters.

Today, we can put a couple of searchwords in Google and get waaay more information, AND ask questions, in seconds!
    Gratitude.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    I think the real value of the TWG is the change of mind and attitude towards the normal way of doing things. Not so much a "recipe" for frugal living, as everyone's circumstances are different.
    This is what I got out of it. It's like a college course on philosophy. The point is not to agree with the philosophers, but to know how to think a certain way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with Sunshine!!

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die

married 19 yrs to my
    mom to big J (18)
    mom to little j (11)
    Zena Cherry Max Lilly Chianti

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I agree with sunshine, too. It is *all* about changing one's perception of spending and consumerism. Many of the specifics *are* out of date, but the philosophy itself, is timeless. Between TWG and flylady, I have a totally different attitude about spending, buying stuff, and clutter. And it has improved our quality of life tremendously, and is helping us get control of our finances and future. Try rereading the TWG, with an eye toward the philosophy, rather than the specifics Amy presents. It's about making do with what we have, distinguishing what we *want* from what we *need* (they are NOT synonymous), planning, and prioritizing. Most people go through life day-to-day, without a plan, and without thinking about the long-term consequences of their spending and consumerism--both for their wallets AND the environment. I think for me, the TWG really opened my eyes to the power of planning ahead and being conscious of the impact even small choices can have. Good luck in your journey to frugality!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Outdated? Maybe a tad but you have to realize that the last book in the series was written well over 10 years ago so some things are not going to be quite accurate for our time today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is something about Amy Dacyzyn and her writing that comforts me and makes me enjoy being frugal. Maybe it's her down-to-earth style, or the fact that she is a real homebody, just like I am.

As with all books, I take what I can use and forget the rest. I just received Mary Hunt's Tiptionary 2 as a gift. I enjoy some of her tips, and I'll try them, while many I just ignore. But her writing and her style just don't grab me the way Amy's stuff did. I wish she would come out of retirement and write a new gazette for the 21st Century

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I definitely see what you mean about some of those tips contributing to clutter--I thought the same thing when I read them.

I'm not that crazy about them, either. A lot of the tips were too drastic for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I liked the thought processes that she went through. Isn't that what frugality is about? Weighing what is important and what is not important, and spending your hard earned money on what is important in your life.

I loved the way she broked down things to show what the real value was. It was things like that that I got out of it, I can adapt it to my own life. I didn't get out of the book that this is the only way to do stuff, but got that if you want to figure these things out for yourself, here are ways to break down the real costs and weigh for yourself if it is worth your time or money to do this or that.

Some things worked for her (bulk buying and scratch cooking, for example) while other things did not (coupon clipping for things she wouldn't buy anyways). But it's not the case for everyone. She weighed her decisions on her own life, and showed you how to weigh decisions in your own life.

Least, that's what I got out of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by sunshine [ame="http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?p=821936#post821936"][/ame]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    This is what I got out of it. It's like a college course on philosophy. The point is not to agree with the philosophers, but to know how to think a certain way.
    What they said. Good analogy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast