I hate being paid biweekly..grocery budget dilemma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I hate being paid biweekly..grocery budget dilemma

Need some frugal expertise!

Before, with my old job, DH and I got paid alternatley bi-weekly, meaning, we got paid every week. That was great and our budget thanked us for it. Now I have this new job where we get paid the same days, so we have to make the money last 2 weeks. I'm finding we just can't keep our budget straight. It seems we spending double the first week, but only getting a weeks worth of food. Its not intentional, but it just works out that way. I used to be able to feed us for a week with $40. Last night we spent $80 for the week! Other things, such as gas and spending money are ending up the same way too, but the major problem is with groceries. Does anyone else get paid biweekly only? How do you manage it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are married 25 years this year in June....dh has always been paid biweekly. I have just learned to try to adjust the $ every 2 weeks.....it's not easy when ALL THE THINGS IN THE WORLD are going UP, UP, UP! Rising prices are killing the world......and gas is out of the way of being crazy....it's downright sickening.
    Have JOY in your life........
    Jesus 1st, Others 2nd, Yourself 3rd.

Youth is a blessing, Old Age is a Gift.

Life is so precious........don't waste it.
    Enjoying it one day at a time.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Suggestion -- 'hold' your check for a week and then deposit it

The Old Man started getting paid bi-weekly in September, I will hold on to the checks as long as I can before I deposit them. The longer we can stretch 1 check, the better off we will be... we can't spend what we don't have....

If you can't hang on to your check for a week (to be on your original schedule) what about making a bi-weekly menu and sorting the things out and putting the 'next weeks' things out of sight...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd just get the sales ads and make my weekly menu from that. When you get to the store, stick to the list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you can manage...continue going to the grocery store each week.

When Dh was paid bi-weekly, I used the cash-envelope system. So I had 2 grocery envelopes, one for the first week and the second for the second week. I put the second week of grocery money way until I needed it, and I wasn't tempted to spend it, and I was still on the same grocery schedule...it helped alot!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Holding the cheque might be a good idea, I'll talk to DH about it, because he gets paid with one, I don't. But putting food out of sight doesn't work. I tried it, and DH found it, thought it was "extra" and ate it in the first week...lol. He doesn't have much control when it comes to snacking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the putting money aside suggestion be it in an envelope until you're ready to shop the 2nd wk where you dont get paid OR saving a chq until the following week.

You know your total is going to be $40/wk and that hubby will just eat b/c its there - your only choice is to continue shopping weekly.

What I used to do (and sometimes still do) is do one big'ish shop the pay week and for the 2nd wk do a quick 'pick up' of the basics - fruits & veggies, bread and milk. Split the grocery into 60/40 or even 70/30.

Just a tip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

for 14 years dh got paid monthly and not at all in December. currently he gets paid every 2 weeks. Just budget your money and stick to your list. Do you use the envelope system? That might help. also groceries are going up, so factor that in. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Boyz View Post
    If you can manage...continue going to the grocery store each week.

When Dh was paid bi-weekly, I used the cash-envelope system. So I had 2 grocery envelopes, one for the first week and the second for the second week. I put the second week of grocery money way until I needed it, and I wasn't tempted to spend it, and I was still on the same grocery schedule...it helped alot!
    We do this too. I take out enough for two weeks of food and two weeks of gasoline for the car after I get paid and this lasts me until the next time I get paid. Sometimes it's a challenge, but I don't dip into the second week's envelope. We create a menu and stick to it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wink

Well, just tell dh if he eats the second weeks' groceries early there is nothing to buy any more with. I bet it only happens once.
    Living Single and Loving it!
    EmilyD

Savings goals:
    2014 Change Jar Challenge (New, smaller clothes) $0/$500.00 (turned in 6/2/14 $118.00 for another purpose)
    52 Week Money Challenge (Christmas 2014): $0.00/$1378.00 in a year (need to save 275.00 to make it by Nov. )
    Emergency Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin (167.00 pm to make it by Dec)
    House Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Car Repair Fund: $0.00/$1000.00 to begin
    Medical Expenses $0.00/$1000.00
    Dental Expenses $0.00/$1000.00

My Challenges:
    2014 Lose-A-Pound-A-Week Challenge 1 @ wk 16/52
    2014 Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge
    2014 Household Purge/Declutter Challenge
    2014 Emergency Fund Challenge
    2014 Twenty Wishes Challenge
    2014 Reading Challenge 11/52
    2014 Change Jar Challenge

52 Week Saving Challenge W1-$1, W2-$2, W3-$3, $W4-$4, W5-$5, W6-$6, W7-$7, W8-$8,W9- $9, W10- $10 W11-$11, W12-$12, W13-$13, W14-$14, W15-$15, W16-$16 W17-$17, W18-$18, W19-$19, W20-$20 , W21-$21, W22-$22,W23-$23, W24-$24, W25-$25, W26-$26, W27-$27, W28-$28, W29-$29, W30-$30, W31-$31, W32-$32, W33-$33, W34-$34, W35-$35, W36-$36, W37-$37, W38-$38, W39-$39, W40-$40, W41-$41, W42-$42, W43-$43, W44-$44, W45-$45, W46-$46, W47-$47, W48-$48, W49-$49, W50-$50, W51-$51, W52-$52

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

First I'd take a look at your groceries... are you getting unnecessary things?
    Check the ads online before you hit the store... many have 'em online... so you can budget BEFORE ya go!

Stock up on bunches of staples, canned goods & frozen things... that way, you'll always have "something" to eat... even if it is spaghetti for the 3rd day in a row.

Usually, when something happens that "feels like an upgrade" (be it a job, a new house/car/etc) we (as people) tend to upgrade our "things" too.
    Has this happened perhaps? (more meat, better quality of meats? more produce?)

Perhaps it's simply the stress of a "new" job (good stress, I'm sure... but stress nonetheless) that has made things sort of go out the window.

I hope you figure out the cause.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyD View Post
    Well, just tell dh if he eats the second weeks' groceries early there is nothing to buy any more with. I bet it only happens once.
    LMAO, I bet it, too! I go to the grocery store weekly. Menu planing really helps. If you can find out what is on sale before you go you can plan with what's on sale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    What I used to do (and sometimes still do) is do one big'ish shop the pay week and for the 2nd wk do a quick 'pick up' of the basics - fruits & veggies, bread and milk. Split the grocery into 60/40 or even 70/30.

Just a tip.
    We have always been bi-wkly and at one time monthly. I do my shopping like shorty. Two weeks of menus, big shop and then second week just perishables.

If you have to hold a check to make it seem like it's weekly I would do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we were first married dh was paid weekly and when he went to bi-weekly it was hard. I had to learn to manage it, it took some time but we made it work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went from being payed weekly (and working at the grocery store so could shop daily) to being payed fortnightly (which was social security when I has my ds - sole parent). It was a hard adjsutment. Luckily it was only me to feed so it didn't matter if I messed up and had spaghetti on toast for the week.
    I did find menu planning useful. That way I had everything I needed in my pantry.
    Maybe having a basket of ggod that dh knows he can help himself to but has to last the two weeks might help him to 'budget' his snacks. I do this for the kids it works wonders.
    I would try holding your check over too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast