If You Have Kids, How Frugal Are They?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink If You Have Kids, How Frugal Are They?

I have seen so many threads where people mention how they have gotten their kids to "get it". It's great! So, I was wondering, how many people have kids that truly do get it?

I know my DS will point out coupons, clearence sales, and say that paying full price is just silly. Anyone else have a great aha moment when they realised their child was totally on board? Also any idea as to their motivation? Not alot of $$ in the family, aversion to waste, stuff like that.

Hope I worded this the way I wanted it to come across. I just think it could make for some interesting posts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

My examples: My teens keep wiping off aluminum foil, fold it in half, and sticking it back in the drawer. My pile of saved foil kept growing! Rinsing and recycling cans/bottles without being asked, going through their art supplies for school projects without asking to go buy some and then bragging to me how "I already had this, and this and this...." as they show me their project. Telling me what they were going to be for Halloween and showing me how they came up with their costume with items they already had. Offering up items for Habitat for Humanity from their room after they cleaned it. Asking me, "does this go in recycle?" when they aren't sure. I'm proud they know that is an option for a variety of items. Asking me, "do you want to save this" for just about anything. Asking me ahead of time if we can stop at certain places "while we are out" rather than constantly asking for rides separately. (saves gas) And the final one that sometimes makes me grimace: being little pack rats for items they think they will reuse later. Thankfully we have numerous storage drawers/boxes in their rooms to contain it all.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My 19 year old is frugal when he wants to be .
    Then there are times he thinks he's The Jones. lol
    To be One With The Universe In Spirit, Mind and Body

BEF $150/ $1000

"Every achiever that I have ever met says, 'My life turned around when I began to believe in me.'"
    ~ Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Minister and Author~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

great post idea!

i have a teen now and am rather surprised at times at how frugal he can be.

i'm not an extreme-frugal-ite, but when it comes to kids, i don't mind spending more a necessities... clothes, they grow too fast, save money for sure... but other things, especially during their teen years, i think is important.

but when we're out shopping together, he'll see something he really likes and says he'll exchange chores or allowance for it if he REALLY likes it.

otherwise, "yeah, i like it, but i dont need it" *gasp*

OR, most teens are picky eaters, not this one!
    he REQUESTS veggies *knocked over* & looks for stuff on sale!

he likes certain breakfast foods that usually aren't on sale, but he'll choose the store-brand (which is usually a dollar or so cheaper!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For two years now, I have been sitting with Chloe as we go online to access the bank account. I hand her a stack of utility bills and direct her as she pays them online. She is totally aware, at the age of 12, how much it takes to run a household.

The other day I realized she got it as we were going through the fliers, checking for good deals when she pointed out, "Mom, Food Basics has the big jars of peanut butter for $1.88. Those are usually over $3!"

It sounds like such a silly little thing, but I was so proud!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My DS, on those RARE occassions he will deign to go to the grocery store with me, will look at an item and ask if I have a coupon for it-LOL! If not, back it goes, unless I tell him it's ok the price is good!

He could care less about clothes (he's 11 after all) and thinks yard sale clothes are fine. After all he points out he'll grow out of them soon anyway!

And yes, he is such a packrat (gets that from me), because heck he might need it again and why buy another!

He wanted both a Nintendo Wii and a Sony PSP. We made him save and buy them himself. He sure wouldn't part with a penny while doing that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DD is very frugal ~ she has to be as a grad student. Between her classes, internship, homework, there is no way she could have a steady job so she lives off the money we give her and student loans. She has her own apartment so she has all the bills that go with that and she has a dog so another expense. She manages really well and I'm proud of her

I can't remember the last time she bought anything at regular price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I wish I knew how to pass this on to my daughter, but anything I do is automatically wrong

She buys things on sale and will use a coupon, but she must spend every penny that crosses her path. She has this mindset that if she has money, she then must immediately go out and find something to buy with it.

I've tried showing her the finances, but she doesn't have any concept of what they mean. She constantly insists we are poor and backs it up with ridiculous evidence - like I don't buy Crispers when all her friends parents do (Crispers make me sick). I showed her the balance in the chequing account one time and she was devastated that that was all we had to live on (I think it was $5000) - I tried explaining that the rest was invested and that we get paid twice a month, but she was still convinced that the account balance was all the money we were ever going to have. I showed her our net worth report and she said none of that counted because it wasn't money. She says all her friends parents have more - which disturbs me on two accounts a) that it matters so much to her what other people have and b) that she thinks financial wealth is measured in snack foods (which is how she determines how much the others have, as I'm quite sure she hasn't seen anyone else's financial statements).

Anyway, I seem to have gone off on a rant here, I'm just sick of her whining all the time that we're poor (because it shouldn't matter, and because we aren't).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could try to tell her that all those snack foods could be hers if she bought them herself. I know, probably wouldn't work. How old is your DD? Sounds like a teen to me. Which may mean there is something more than your finances on her mind.

I don't have a solution for you, but I do know some teens just "look" for a way for you to be wrong. Maybe this is what's going on. If coolness amts to chips, maybe you could buy her a package for herself once a week?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My 7 year old daughter thinks my debit card is free money lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yeah, we went through the "Just go to the Money Machine" phase!

He just thought I got "free" money that way. Boy did it take me a long time to convince him that I had to PUT the $$ in the bank first! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My kids are grown and sincere frugalites.

When they were younger I started noticing. My son, who was 12 started comparing all the foods we bought at the grocery store. He would figure out the unit measures and point out the best buys for me.

My daughter, when she was 13, wanted a started jacket. The one she wanted was going for $138.00 (1997 dollars). She had her money saved and got on the phone. I think she called every retail and sporting goods store in Greater Cleveland. She found one in a western suburb for $78.00 (she had the UPC when she called these places).

I am very proud of the them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are other instances, but I will name just a few.
    When dd#2 was little, she use to have this tote bag & would "hoard" all of her toys in it...watching her do this, I had a feeling that she would be wise with whatever she had. As she would get older & the other kids would spend their allowance/birthday money, she would buy very little, or not at all. When she was in 3rd grade, she had saved nearly $80.
    Now that my older kids have jobs, I've caught them doing the "envelope thing" for special things that they want to do.
    The other day, ds#2 stopped by the store on his way home & bought some honey mustard. When he came through the door, he proudly told me.."The store had honey mustard on sale, so I stocked up & bought a few more".
    I have to smile...these kids have learned just by watching me shop

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My kids get it (especially my 6 year old). Sometimes I would guess that he just doesn't get it...but then, if he has to spend his own money or his own gift card instead of using our money, he is awfully thrifty!

He knows a good bargain when he sees it!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think mine learned from the "No pay Fridays". Being in construction there are fridays when we don't get paid. And my kids would get told "We can't do this or that because its a "No Pay Friday."
    They learned to budget money for the no pays days. DD and DS both see the difference in the cost of grocery from our salvage grocery and our regualr grocery store. They know that the difference betweeen the 2 stores goes into the trip account. DD has also discovered Plato's Closet where she can trade in her old name brand clothes for different ones. Since they only take clothes in that have been gently worn shes more careful with her stuff.

Laurie in Bradenton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast