Light Desserts that are Light on the Pocketbook
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Light Desserts that are Light on the Pocketbook

As the weather warms up, lighter fare replaces the heavier foods enjoyed in fall and winter and desserts are no exception! Many look to fresh fruit-based and no-cook desserts as a way to satisfy the sweet tooth.

I discovered this combination quite by accident (I put strawberries in my salad, something I'd never done before) and have fallen in love with the combination of strawberries and balsamic vinegar. Who knew that would make a delicious light dessert by itself?!

Balsamic Strawberries

Clean and slice a quart of fresh strawberries.
    Add 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar to strawberries.
    Mix lightly.

Super light...super easy...super delicious! An inexpensive dessert to enjoy during strawberry season

Do you make a dessert that is both light and light on the pocketbook? Please share!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't really know much about paring fruit with anything other than sweet until the past couple years ago. It's an awesome combo. I need to look thru my recipes to see what I can add to this nice thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fruit Cremes
    (Better than plain old JELL-O.)

1 package (4-serving) gelatin (any flavor - sugar-free if you'd like)
    3/4 c. boiling water
    1/2 c. orange juice (or other flavors of 100% juice) OR water
    Ice Cubes
    1 c. cold milk (low-fat works well)

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Combine orange juice or water and ice cubes to make 1-cup. Add to gelatin and stir until ice is completely melted. Add milk. Pour into individual dessert dishes. Chill, soft set in 30-minutes. Yields: 5 servings.
    (If you use low-fat milk and sugar-free gelatin = 35 calories per serving.)

(Sorta') Apple Pie

Wash, cut, and core one apple. Cut into slices and then into bite-size cubes. Place the cubes into a bowl of lemon/water or Fruit Fresh and water, for a few minutes to prevent them from browning. When ready to serve... Layer a parfait glass with apple bits, add some vanilla yogurt, granola; repeat topping the glass with vanilla yogurt and granola.

Pumpkin Pudding
    (instead of pumpkin pie)

1 can (15-ounce) canned pumpkin
    1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
    1-1/2 c. milk
    3.5-ounce package instant vanilla pudding (reg. or sugar-free)

Mix pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice together in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Slowly stir in the milk. Mix well.

Add the instant pudding mix and stir slowly for about one minute until it thickens. Chill mixture. Serve!

Makes about 6 servings. Using regular instant pudding, each serving has 110 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 270 mg sodium

For serving, top each serving with one of the following:
    -baked pastry (cut into a shape that can be stuck in the top of the pudding)
    -crumbled Gingersnap cookies
    -granola

Banana Ice Cream
    A great use for those over-ripe bananas sitting in the freezer.
    How To Make Creamy Ice Cream with Just One Ingredient! | Apartment Therapy The Kitchn

Magic Mix Fudgsicles
    How to Magic Mix | eHow.com
    See step 7.

Marinated Fresh Fruit Kabobs

marinade:
    1/2 c. honey (I use low-glycemic agave nectar)
    1/4 c. water
    1/4 c. lime juice
    1/4 c. orange juice

fruit:
    1 cup honeydew melon balls or cubes
    1 cup watermelon balls or cubes
    1 cup cantaloupe melon balls or cubes
    2 large nectarines or peaches, cut into cubes
    8-12 (8" to 12") bamboo skewers

In small saucepan, combine honey and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lime and orange juice. Cool completely.

Combine fruit in medium bowl. Pour marinade over fruit; toss gently. Cover; refrigerate 1-2 hours to blend flavors. When ready to serve, place about 12 pieces of fruit on each bamboo skewer. Yields 8-12 kabobs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I prefer a drink after dinner as a dessert.
    Fruity Faux Martinis are a new fave of mine. Mix chilled 100% juice(I'm into cherry Juicy Juice right now)with a bit of nectar(apricot or peach are yummo)with ice in a shaker. Arrange pieces of frozen fruit(peaches, berries, melon, apples)in a cocktail glass and pour chilled juice blend over. Add a splash of club soda and serve.
    Another one we used to enjoy before I cut Cool Whip from our diet was Quick Mousse. Mix a 3.9 oz box of instant pudding(can use sugar free. I usually used chocolate)with 1 cup cold low-fat milk. Add 1-2 TB of your favorite liquor(bailey's, brandy, 99 bananas) or 1 Tsp of extract(almond, raspberry, mint)and fold in a 12 oz container of Cool Whip(can use lite). Fill dessert glasses and allow to set in fridge. 4 servings with fruit, nut or chocolate as a garnish or 6 servings when used as a dip or topping for your fresh fruit.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like cherry Jello with bananas. Mom made it a hundredyears ago when I was a kid, and I've loved it ever since.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pat in east texas View Post
    I like cherry Jello with bananas. Mom made it a hundredyears ago when I was a kid, and I've loved it ever since.
    This sure does bring back memories! My grandmother always made us jello with bananas. She used different flavors, and sometimes would make half of the container one flavor and the other half would be another flavor. So many years have passed since then...she was younger then than I am now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My fave light dessert - storebought angel food cake with fresh berries on top with a lightly sweetened plain yoghurt (not really a big fan of whipped cream) serve with a hot tea.