Frugal Village Forums banner

Frugal foods for desperate times

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  sunshine 
#1 ·
I was asked to start a thread on my $1 meals that I use- so here is my list-

Lentil and rice casserole
Veggie tomato sauce and pasta
Lentil soup and bread (from the day old bakery 60 cents a loaf).
Pancakes for supper
French toast for supper
veggie chilli
potatoe and corn chowder
tuna casserole
creamy scalloped potatoes and hotdog slices
Fried rice
baked beans (from scratch)and hotdog slices
fried egg sandwiches and soup
refried beans and corn bread
homemade pizza (with only a little cheese)
calzones
pizza buns and soup

few desserts
Vegetables are what is cheepest, or in the freezer or in the garden (my kale and arugula and cornsalad are up and growing).

Lunch is homemade vegetable soup with muffins or bread

Breakfast
Oatmeal
toast
muffins or loafs

Fruit becomes a luxury (and so does coffee and tea etc).
We drink water.

The children enjoy some of these meals more than others and esopecially my 8 yr. old who doesn't like many casseroles she eats alot more pasta/bread/rice to substitue even though I always ask her to eat some of the main meal.
Even though after a while we start to dream of exotic foods.....these meals keep us fat and I don't seem to be able to loose weight on them! ( Dumb thyroid!) Even though the rest of my family are slim or SKINNY!

If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it. Especially frugal crockpot meals!

See less See more
#2 ·
i wish the day old store sold bread here that cheap, here its quite old and 99c instead of 1.89....pathetic....

eggs i find are a great meal...and stuffed potatoes ....pizza would be cheap if it wasnt that darn cheese....

i do have a recipe for frozen cabbage coleslaw that i cant wait to try this summer...if anyone would like i could post it...

chicken fried rice is cheap here, you can add some frozen peas...a scrambled egg...even some cheap or canned mushrooms...

those breakfast sausages go for 1$ for 20 of them often at no frills and are quite tasty and filling...i'll often combine that with a bag of tortellini or perogies for 1.20 and a can of tomatoes 0.63,....so can make 2 meals for quite cheap and make garlic bread cheap with old bread, margarine, garlic powder and a sprinkling of dried parmesan cheese....

canned sardine or herring with fries was a fav growing up..of course now i cant do sardines...but i love the smoked herring...

if other of mom's tried and true recipes come to mind i'll type them...mom was a miracle worker...

#3 ·
We love eggs but we can't find them cheap enough here....$2 a dozen....so i use them "in" things instead of a meal.

I also have never found breakfast sausages that cheap! Chickendogs go as low as $1.75 per doz. here though.

We love perogies and tortellinis but they are pricey compared to plain pasta, rice and potatoes.

Yes, fried rice is standard fare....

We are VERY lucky to have that day old bakery! It is McGavins outlet store and everything goes for 60 cents in that bin! Sometimes there are even tortilla wraps, pizza shells, pita breads, bagels etc....it really helps to add some variety! I stop by 1-2 times per week and stuff my freezer:D . I don't know what I would do if I didn't have it....I am belessed....

I also frequent Liquidation stores, there are somem GREAT deals there but you can never count on it....but it is good for a surprise (my thrill).

I also have been know to take the family trout fishing, the children fish free.....and we get some gorgeous fish!

We practically live on trout when we go camping......it helps alot.

#6 ·
I think the cheapest meal I make is egg salad sandwich, for the kids, we get store bought bread which is only .69 cents a loaf regular price and well we know eggs are cheap and I always buy generic or store brand mayo.

I can use half a dozen eggs for 6-8 sandwiches so that's pretty good and cheap too!

#10 ·
when we have a few dollars sometimes, we cook tater tots and but 2 dishes of chilli at wendys(cheaper to buy then make). and purit on the tots or i put it on my salad, just like the restaurant.
charlene

#11 ·
I think my tacos are pretty cheap.......I use Ground Turkey @ $1.69 per 2 pounds, corn tortillas ($1.00 for large package when on sale) and top with shredded lettuce and tomato,........I make my own salsa which tops out at .03 cents per oz made, and I make it in large amounts and can it............to use whenever............

#12 ·
stace,
thats agood idea about the ground turkey. i never thought of that one before. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.