Frugal Village Forums banner

Leftover ideas!

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  sunshine 
#1 ·
In my battle to use up all of our food and be less wasteful, I thought it would be a great idea if we all brain stormed what to do when we have some leftovers. For example:

One pot roast can be turned into -----> bbq beef sandwiches

One ham and cold rice can be turned into -----> pork chow mein

One roasted chicken can be turned into ----->chicken enchiladas or chicken pot pie and then chicken soup

One baked salmon can be turned into ----->salmon pasta salad

I'd love to hear everyone's ideas! :grouphug:

#4 ·
Leftover Rice= Chinese Fried Rice
Leftover Spaghetti Noodles= Chinese Lo Mein
Leftover Mashed potatoes= Potato Pancakes
Leftover Chicken Soup= Mexican Caldo Soup
Leftover Meat & Veg= Stew or Stir Fry= ORmy fav-Freezer Stew
Leftover Bread (any type= Strata, Stuffing
Leftover Chile (ha) = Spicy Bean Cakes
Leftover Devil eggs= Eggs/toast/gravy
Leftover Fruit=Monkey Bread
Leftover Soup Chicken=Chicken Potpie,eggrolls, croquettes (to DIE for) Egg Foo Yung, Chicken Fried Rice, Chicken Lo Mein
Leftover tuna fish salad= Fried Fish Cakes
Leftover veggie Peas= Pea Soup
Leftover Broc- See fried rice, lomien, stirfry
Leftover Spinach Veg= spinach egg quiche (kugel) ,
Oriental soup with Tofu,
And of course Any veg left over by Thursday is in our Fri AM omelets OR in my Sunday Stew Pot.
Thats all I can think we do
Leahmom

#6 ·
rice mixed with bits of leftovers (just about any kind of veggies or meats diced and saute'd in a bit of oil and garlic) makes a nice Chinese style rice...add soy sauce.

#7 ·
Leftover Ham from Christmas that I froze in chunks went into, ham salad, quiche, ham and noodle casserole and just yesterday omelets. That's the end of it and I for one am glad to see it go.

Leftover chicken or Turkey turns into, chicken salad, fajitas or chicken casserole. My entire family just loves the casserole.

Hamburger I seldom have leftover but if I do I make chili.

Roast beef I use for sandwiches aujus or Philly cheese steak type sandwiches wrapped in tortillas with cheese, peppers and onions in both types. Once in awhile I will make soup out of it or a quick beef stroganoff.

Pork always turns into BBQ sandwiches, with Cole slaw on top, on steamed rolls. In fact I cooked a small roast today just for the sandwiches and the leftovers from this will be lunch tomorrow. I love the darn things and can't stay away from them.

We don't have too many leftover vegetables but I have been know to throw leftover chopped broccoli, spinach or green beans (that I run through my mini chopper) into my meatloaf. We also will use them in soup.

Mashed potatoes are always potato pancakes in a day or two.
Boiled potatoes or baked, I make into potato salad or home fries.

Rice gets eaten for breakfast with milk and sugar or thrown into vanilla pudding.

I used to throw so much food away it just made me sick. DH would never eat a leftover until I learned how to "remake" them. He eats them all the time now without a single complaint.

#8 ·
From tonight, we had leftover taco filling (hamburger, onion, bell peppers, corn, seasoning) so tomorrow it will become taco mac and cheese (or rice depends on if it's for lunch or supper)

Roast chicken becomes chicken salad sandwiches (or served with crackers if I don't make bread), enchiladas, goes in casseroles, Dh & the girls will eat it plain and cold.

One hint: unless I have to mix them, I serve all components of the original dinner separately (veggies, rice, meat, etc. all in separate containers) so that I can easily use them in something else if they don't all get eaten.

#10 ·
Great ideas, ladies! I'm not so good at creative leftovers.

Ham: goes into beans or fried rice, or mix with noodles as a casserole
Rice: fried rice or rice cakes. crispy rice cakes to top soups
Veggies: pureed and added to spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce(or fed to dogs)
chicken: salad, soup, pot pie, fried rice, fajitas, or shredded for tacos/enchiladas
pot roast(ha!): shredded beef or bbq sandwiches
chili: frozen burrittos, chili-cheese fries
plain pasta noodles: fried noodle pancake

#11 ·
leftover roast beef:

open faced sandwiches
hash
stew
SOS

leftover ham:

ham pockets
ham pizza
ham salad
ham and au gratin potatoes

left over chicken:

creamed chicken over cornbread
chicken pot pie
chicken and dumplings
soup

leftover meatloaf:

crumble and add to spaghetti
slice for sandwiches

Any leftover veggies get saved for soups. .. if they've been cooked and recooked, I puree them before I add them. . gives flavor and body to the soup, but not the nasty texture of soggy vegetables.

leftover mac/cheese gets pureed for cheese sauce or soup. This is frequently served over baked potatoes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.