Frugal Village Forums banner

Leftover rice ideas? Give me yours, plus has anyone tried rice as a hot cereal?

5K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  peanut 
#1 ·
I remember that Amy D. (Tightwad Gazette) says she discovered leftover rice made a good hot breakfast when reheated with some milk and, I think, sugar.

Has anyone tried this?

I am wondering because today for lunch I made myself a pot of actual rice (i.e., not rice-a-roni) and have a ton left over. I was considering having it for breakfast tomorrow but am unsure what that would taste like, with milk and sugar, and don't want to have to throw it out if it's gross. :lol:

Anyone have any good leftover rice uses? I know of casseroles, but I'm the only one who will eat rice in this house, so I don't want to add a lot of ingredients just to make the rice edible. (If that makes sense!)

Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
If you have an egg, soy sauce, and a can or a frozen bag of peas and carrots you can make some yummy fried rice. You can add any meat you want to it, or no meat at all!

#4 ·
That sounds good! I need some soy sauce, though. I think I recall it's pretty cheap, so that might be do-able, since I have to go to the store anyway tomorrow.

When do you add the egg - when you put the rice in the skillet, or before?

Thanks!

#16 ·
We love leftover, cold rice stir fried in a little bacon grease and then add beaten eggs and cooked together. That's the only time we would eat rice for breakfast. Oh wait, I forgot about Rice Krispies, LOL Nope, for us it's either cereal, oatmeal or grits. Mainly grits, and we it with all kinds of stuff in it as well.

#17 ·
Weird! Found this recipe today:

Lisa's Rice Pizza
Ingredients

* 1 cup raw Lowell Farms Jasmine Rice (White), cooked
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
* 16 oz can tomato sauce or marinara sauce
* 1/2 green pepper, sliced
* 1/2 onion, sliced
* mushrooms, sliced
* black olives, sliced
* pepperoni, sliced
* any other favorite toppings
* 1 cup grated mozarella cheese

Directions

Cook Jasmine Rice according to directions. Mix with eggs and 1 cup cheese. Spread on bottom of well greased pizza pan or deep dish. Bake 450 degrees for 20 minutes.Spread tomato or marinara sauce over baked crust. Add favorite toppings and 1 cup cheese. Bake 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

Serves 4

#20 ·
We eat rice with butter and sugar for breakfast. My dh doesn't usually like rice but loves y chicken and fried rice.

boil rice
cook cut up pieces of chicken in terriaki sauce
scramble 2 or 3 eggs
mix all together, add salt pepper and more terriaki sauce and simmer until thickened . it is great. I usually serve with a tossed salad and pinnaple.
sherbet ie excellant as a dessert with this.

#21 ·
We had hot rice with milk and sugar on it since I was a kid. We usually had that and eggs or bacon or something else breakfast like and that would be our dinner. It was yummy and I still make it. My kid loves it. Cheap too!!!

#23 ·
These are all great ideas! I am going to make some more white rice for lunch today and probably will doctor up the leftovers for tomorrow.

I love doing the stir fry, so easy and filling!

#25 ·
My MIL always made what she called "Glorified Rice"
Cook some rice, add some well drained crushed pineapple. Beat up some whipping cream. Add all together. Might add a little sugar to the cream as you are beating it. Mix all together, put it in fancy glasses with a cherry on top.
Tastes great and looks good enough for company. Enjoy!

#26 ·
I always like to put spaghetti sauce on mine with some parmesan cheese. I've been eatng that since I was a kid, with leftover sauce.

#27 · (Edited)
We eat rice pudding made in the crockpot for breakfast and any time inbetween. While I'm not sure how to adapt the recipe to using leftover rice, I'm sure where there's a will there's a way! Here's our recipe.

Serving Size : 8

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
5 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 can evaporated skim milk
1 cup basmati rice -- uncooked
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cardamom -- ground
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick -- 3"
OR 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried apricots -- minced (optional)

Mix all the milk in the crockpot. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the rest of the ingredients.

Cook on High for 6 hours. Stirring once after 2 hours.

Description:
"A rich, yummy pudding. Our traditional Christmas Eve rice pudding, modified to be low fat."

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 265 Calories; 5g Fat (17.2% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 226mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Fruit; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve with half and half cream and cinnamon sugar.

NOTES : To make a creamier pudding, add more evaporated milk and less 1% milk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.