Toaster ovens a good choice for small-scale cooking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Post Toaster ovens a good choice for small-scale cooking

DEAR SARA: How do I use a toaster oven? I just got a new (to me) toaster oven. No instructions. I need advice on how to use it, what to make in it, etc. I’ve never had one before. Never had one while growing up, either. — Julie, Florida DEAR JULIE: Toaster ovens are a [...]

More...
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can buy special mini sized toaster oven pans, too. The last one I owned came with a card for ordering a set with a mini muffin pan, baking sheet, and baking/casserole pan. The oven is much more useful when you don't have to scrounge for something to fit in it.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We use ours all the time - last night baked chicken breasts - have also made cornbread, chili - anything you can cook in a large oven, you can cook in a small one - only limited by the size.

Have fun with yours and enjoy the energy savings and a cooler home!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They are portable, too. I move mine to the laundry room on hot days so it doesn't add heat to the kitchen. I've even used it outside on warm days as well. We've taken ours on trips and used it in hotels and also camping if we have an electrical hookup.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

the one I have is large enough for a 9 inch pizza. I use it all the time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ours sat out in the garage for years, I couldn't spare the counter space. Then when our oven broke I hauled it back inside and discovered I could do just about anything in it, except bake bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When our 3rd microwave broke we decided on getting a toaster oven and it works great and we have more counter space.
    Loving Wife to Ken 29 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Use ours alot. No heating up the kitchen. Less use time than oven cause hardly any preheating and less space to heat period. Less electric
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/July
    $198.62

Coupons for Year / $745.54

July/ Grocery
    $154.95 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/20

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/15

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't use mine nearly as much as I should. I bought a muffin pan that makes 6 muffins and have several packs of Martha White muffin mix I got on sale, and those make 6 muffins, so I'm not sure what my excuse is. :p I used one all the time in college...I made break & bake cookies in it, fish sticks, au gratin potatoes, meat...all kinds of things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another plus to the toaster ovens is that you can get them with rotisserie for whole chickens, small turkeys etc. Ours works fine but if had to get another one I'd get it with this option. I"ve looked at them at Walmart and they aren't that much higher than a good plain toaster oven. Slightly bigger also but not so big you couldn't just leave on a decent sized counter.
    I leave mine out cause I've found if I have to get down, dig it out, put stuff back, then go thru the same to put it back I just plain won't do it. Hurts my back to bad with the up and down so low.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/July
    $198.62

Coupons for Year / $745.54

July/ Grocery
    $154.95 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/20

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/15

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my toaster oven, but it's rather small. When this one dies I will buy a bigger one. It's money well spent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bah...my muffin pan is too big. Had the muffins all ready and the toaster oven preheated, stuck it in, and the door lacked 1/4" of closing. Not sure if it'd be okay like that or not. Probably since it doesn't really "seal" but I dunno.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i used ours last night to make brownies for a 13 yo girl sleepover .
    we use it to reheat to cook small sized meals or reheat pizza etc oh ad to toast LOL
    *~Debbi~*
    Happily Married Mom to 5 ; PT Home Care RN
    Living with FMS

“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more;
    Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
    Swedish Proverb

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Getting Gazelle like 7/1/10
    Paid off 6 CC's totalling $6807 in 2010
    Paid off car 9000
    Quit 2nd Job for health reasons so going slower .
    purchased used car in cash 5000
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use mine all the time. We made cupcakes today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My brother got our dad one for Xmas 2 years ago because the oven in his stove quit working (burners work fine). He likes it so much that he hasn't had the big oven repaired. It will hold a 13" pizza & the best part is: you HAVE to use the timer. If he forgets it is on, it will cut off when it runs out of the time he has set it for. I think it's a GE, not sure. It's perfect for him, it will hold a 6-cup muffin tin, a small skillet of cornbread or pan of biscuits. He loves it & it really doesn't heat up the kitchen like the regular oven does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast