D
ear Sara:
Do you have a recipe for healthy deodorant? I once tried one that I heard about on a radio station; it was made with alcohol, lemon juice and lime juice, poured into a spray bottle. It seemed to work, but it burned after shaving. Do you have any other recipes? — Rita, email
Dear Rita:
You can apply witch hazel with a cotton ball. Here’s a recipe and a link to more on my website:
Deodorant
1 part organic virgin coconut oil
1 part baking soda
1 part cornstarch
Mix melted oil with remaining ingredients and store in a jar. Apply with your fingers or cotton ball. The best time to apply deodorant is right after a shower and/or before bedtime. (Contributed by reader D.L. from Florida.)
Deodorant recipes: frugalvillage.com/forums/make-yourself/67931-make-yourself-deodorant-recipes.html.
Dear Sara:
I have some red lava rock that was put down over black plastic in the front of my house about eight years ago. It now has green mold or moss all over the top of it. What can I do to get the green stuff off? I plan on putting some more down on top of it, but I think I need to get the green stuff off of it first. Please help! — Wava R., email
Dear Wava:
I had the same issue with red lava rocks in a garden area at my house, and I removed it all, replacing it with mulch. It was located in a shady area with poor drainage, and I knew the moss would continue to grow back. I wasn’t fond of the rocks because I have kids and there always seemed to be stray rocks on the pathway. So one option is removing it completely. I suppose it really depends on how much effort you want to put into this and how much you like the lava rocks. You can start by trying vinegar, or possibly even power washing. There are spray products to kill moss, too, but you’re still going to have to remove the dead moss from the rocks. If you do go this route, I would remove the black plastic, or at least poke some holes into it. It’s not a good idea to remove and replace the rocks with new rocks or to top it off; the fact that moss grows there indicates that there is probably poor water drainage in the area. But moss is pretty popular lately. You might just consider keeping it.
Dear Sara:
My daughter got Silly Putty on her sheets. Any idea how to remove it? — Brenda, Illinois
Dear Brenda:
According to Crayola’s stain guide (crayola.com/canwehelp/staintips/pdf/15.pdf), you can use WD-40. Scrape off excess Silly Putty, spray the remainder with WD-40 and let stand a few minutes. Scrape off excess Silly Putty with a dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Re-spray with WD-40 and wipe off stain with cotton balls. If any stain remains, saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, blot the stain and rinse. Wipe any remaining residue or stain with a damp sponge or cloth moistened with liquid dish soap. Wash fabric per the manufacturer’s direction.
Dear Sara:
I’m having an outdoor wedding in May. Do you have any outdoor DIY decoration ideas? — Makayla G., email
Dear Makayla:
I like to see fresh fruit and flowers. You can use clay pots or Mason jars for candles or floral vases. The jars would work well as drinking glasses, too. You can serve drinks from glass beverage dispensers or put bottled drinks in a large galvanized steel tub with ice. Paper lanterns or Tiki torches are pretty, as well. Paper parasols or tissue paper pom-poms or flowers would bring in a lot of color. For a tissue pom-pom tutorial, visit aestheticnest.com/2012/02/craft-eyelet-tissue-pom-poms-tutorial.html. You could use white string-lights or luminarias, too.
photo by LizMarie AK

More...