Frugal Village Forums banner

Dads...you just gotta love them...

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  C@rol 
#1 ·
My dad bless his heart screwed up his checking account some how!!! Now mind you I am on his account, so his screw ups could end up affecting me. I never open his statements when he is in FL and received one just a couple of days ago...so when something came from his bank today I thought WTF! I opened it and he had a total of 10 different items that were rubberized!!!

So, I call him and he says he knows & he found out this morning when he called the bank line to see if his SS deposit went in okay. He had been sitting there pouring over his check register, trying to figure out what happened...cuz, he didn't want to have to call me :skept:.

I go to his bank, statements & rubber notices in hand and the nice lady there, while she couldn't credit all of his fees gave him back 4 of them...total $144!!! Now mind you dad has over a grand in a savings account at the same bank, I tell her how maddening I find it that dad has all of these fees for his checking acct when he has a grand in a savings account that could have been tapped to cover his checking mishap. So, I had her tie his savings account to his checking...that way in the future they will tap the savings to cover the checking. However, they will still charge him $15 per item if he ever needs to use this feature...still beats $36 an item in my book.

So now, I'm happy, and dad's really happy that they at least gave him back $144...and that he didn't have to put out more than 1/3 of his SS in rubber fees. On the downside I had to transfer $500 to his checking to keep the same thing from happening again this month.

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel you pain! This weekend or next, I'm going to my parents house to help them with their finances as well. Give me strength!

#3 ·
Hugs to you both. Managing anothers finances isn't easy in any case. Big hugs! :hug2:

#5 ·
When mom passed away I got custody of Dad. I help him with his finances and any paperwork. Usually he does pretty good on his own. This weekend I get to spend it going through 4 months of statements. Somehow he got off by $100 and he is wanting to find it and get it corrected. Yeah me.

Kellie

#7 ·
I handle all of Momma's finances, so I can relate. Our credit union will automatically pull from savings to cover checks if the checking account doesn't have enough funds, we don't pay a dime it's free with no penalties. The only time there would be a fee is if there was absolutely no funds to cover the check. Maybe you can find a something similar where you live?

Glad you got the $144 back, congrats!

#8 ·
owieeee that one had to hurt! At least they gave you back part of it. I hope Dad realizes how lucky he is to have a daughter like you.

#9 ·
Well I figured out what dad did!!! He forgot to subtract his automatic deposit that went into his savings account from his checking account for April...at least we know what happened and to keep it from happening again I suggested that instead of entering his entire SS deposit & subtracting the savings transfer he should just enter his SS deposit at $100 less. That way he won't ever be able to make this mistake again.

I will check into the credit unions around here, maybe when he is up for the Summer we can find an institution that is a little more user friendly.

#10 ·
Good job. The changes should give you both peace of mind. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.