So mad at Bank of America
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry So mad at Bank of America

I got my surplus check today and went directly to the bank and deposited it in my checking account. I then went to the grocery and loaded up. We have been waiting for the surplus check to go to the grocery. Needless to say we have been getting quite creative in the kitchen. So I get home and check my on line account and it says I have a 0 balance and that they had to pull money from my savings for over draft protection. WTF? Seems they put a hold on the Federal check and didn't bother to tell me. Why would they put a hold on it? Don't they think the government is good for the money? Thank goodness I had a little money in my savings to cover the overdraft. My DH is livid and will be calling the bank tomorrow to b@#**! I swear sometimes you just can't catch a break. Anybody else have this problem?
    Live - Laugh - Love

2013 Goals:

1. Build up EF.
    2. Lose weight.
    3. Stay within my monthly budget.
    4. Continue paying down debt.

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It often takes awhile for checks to show up on accounts. Our landlord has been cashing checks from us every month for the last 5 years and it still takes 10 days to go through.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At my bank any deposits made after 2:30p.m. are credited the next business day if made in person and after 3:00p.m. if they are made through the bank's ATM. Generally if your bank is going to hold the check for more than one business day, they have to tell you when you make the deposit that they are holding it...unless you make it through an ATM then they have to send you a notice...at least that's the way my bank works.

Luckily for me, my bank doesn't hold any thing that I deposit no matter how large.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny : $11.63
    Change : $66.20

Grocery Challenge:
    Grocery $400 avg. per month: $122.58/$400 April
    Running Total: $1,243.92

2014 Coupon Savings Challenge:
    $312.47

Savings Challenge: $/$3,000 to be put into other acct. when goal is met

2014 Fling Challenge: 63/2014
    20 Wishes Challenge: 10/24
    2014 Backwards 52 week Christmas Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52
    To date: $637.00 - $53.84 = $583.16

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hippytreehugger4ever View Post
    It often takes awhile for checks to show up on accounts.
    Yep all banks do it. There are plenty of reasons to hate Bank of America but this isn't one of them.

UKBB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My bank does this and the length depends on where the check comes from. Do get $100 available immediately from any deposit though
    Reba

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    Franklin D. Roosevelt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ukbb View Post
    Yep all banks do it. There are plenty of reasons to hate Bank of America but this isn't one of them.

UKBB
    Mine doesn't.

My checks show up immediately both in the bank I use and the credit union I use, regardless of where they come from.

Did you take it to a teller? I do think it's weird that they didn't mention it. I thought they usually let you know about these things. And did they give you a deposit receipt? That should have shown the balance, right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it the stimulus check you are talking about? Why in the world would a bank put a hold on that check? I have never heard of that. It is not like it is a personal out of state large check that a bank would put a hold on to make sure it clears. That is just screwy to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My credit union also doesn't put a hold on anything I deposit. That would make me furious considering it's a government check. How loyal are you to Bank of America???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't be angry at them for holding the check... but I'd base my attitude on how they treat you when you call them. Ask them to remove the fee "in the interest of good customer service", since it is obvious that you did make a deposit, and you believed the money was available.

If they won't remove the fee, I'd take my business to another bank!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's probably a policy listed in their disclosure documents. I've had this happen to me in the past... I switched banks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some banks might be a little leary right now with these checks. Perfect opportunity for a fraud operation and stolen checks. Double check with BOA - they can be pretty crappy I was so glad when we paid off our card with them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovestolaugh View Post
    I got my surplus check today and went directly to the bank and deposited it in my checking account. I then went to the grocery and loaded up. We have been waiting for the surplus check to go to the grocery. Needless to say we have been getting quite creative in the kitchen. So I get home and check my on line account and it says I have a 0 balance and that they had to pull money from my savings for over draft protection. WTF? Seems they put a hold on the Federal check and didn't bother to tell me. Why would they put a hold on it? Don't they think the government is good for the money? Thank goodness I had a little money in my savings to cover the overdraft. My DH is livid and will be calling the bank tomorrow to b@#**! I swear sometimes you just can't catch a break. Anybody else have this problem?

My DH put his check in the bank and the next day I went to the grocery. First I took my son to buy a puzzle that he wanted for $8.66. My debit card was declined! We had $2400 in the bank and $10,000 in our EF. I was so pissed off!!!! I was equally embarrassed that my card was declined. {for $8.66!} I went around the corner, to my bank, and withdrew money. No problem with the atm!? I then ask the teller what the heck? He says ALL checks are held for up to 12 days! Unbelievable!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My credit union has never put a hold on any check I've deposited. The bank used to, just one of several reasons I now use the credit union.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I bank w/ BoA and it always takes a day or so for money I deposit to show up in my account. They do give me up to $100 immediately, which is nice. Compass didn't even do that, IIRC. I would call them, but I think it's pretty standard with banks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We bank at UMB so I can understand. Any check from the IRS never has a hold that I can remember.

Now any bigcheck will have a hold up to 5 days and give you a hundred bucks *sigh* but you can have them call whomever the check is from and have it credited to your bank faster.

After years of banking with Commerce I don't really complain too much now.

Too bad if you get payed on Friday there, you will not gets funds till Monday. I 'bounced' more checks there and got far more ripped off.

Now I just get on line and look at my account daily before I even go spend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast