DH is taking the test today...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default DH is taking the test today...

To become a San Antonio police officer. I'm not sure how I feel about him possibly becoming a cop, but I fully support him in anything he feels he has to do. (Well...as long as it's legal.)

DH has been pretty much a stay-at-home dad since the kids were small, working part time doing pizza delivery. Now that our DD is 20 and our DS is 12, he feels it's time to get a "real" job. He's looking at the police department for the pay, benefits, job security and retirement. The SAPD just raised their age of entry to 46 and DH will be 43 on Sunday so he thinks it's now or never.

He has to take the written test this afternoon. If he makes a 90 or above, they'll call him back for the physical fitness part. We'll see what happens. If he makes it, it'll mean much more money for us. OTOH, it'll mean that he's a police officer and has to deal with all the nasty jerks out there and some danger, too. He's such a sweet, easy going guy.*Sigh* I don't know what to think.

--Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle68; 09-04-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $36,472.81

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck! I hope everything works out for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck to your husband! I hope he does well on his test. I'm sure it will be a change for him and your family, but San Antonio will be even better with people like him out there on the good side. And one more good guy gets added to long list of selfless people doing a thankless job to make this state safer for the rest of us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck to your DH!! I think it is good they raised the age....someone at 43 is way more in control of themselves than a young guy of 20. Not to say at both ages they arent capable but with age comes wisdom and if he is chosing to do this now....he knows its what he wants and hopefully he will get it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good Luck! Let us know how things turn out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all your good wishes. DH finally got home a little earlier--the test took 2.5 hours. He said there were around 1000 people taking the test and as they filed out of the convention center, they read off to each person what their score was and if they passed or not.

He said there were A LOT of people who did not pass, but when his turn came he found out that he scored an 81! He passed and will be going on to the next round, the physical fitness testing. He's really happy right now and I'm very happy for him. The physical fitness test will be in a couple of weeks or so, so he has that long to really start preparing for it. He already has the timed run down and is working on the sit ups.

Thanks again for your kind wishes.

--Michelle
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $36,472.81

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ZThat is such good news for him - I have my fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle68 View Post
    Thanks for all your good wishes. DH finally got home a little earlier--the test took 2.5 hours. He said there were around 1000 people taking the test and as they filed out of the convention center, they read off to each person what their score was and if they passed or not.

He said there were A LOT of people who did not pass, but when his turn came he found out that he scored an 81! He passed and will be going on to the next round, the physical fitness testing. He's really happy right now and I'm very happy for him. The physical fitness test will be in a couple of weeks or so, so he has that long to really start preparing for it. He already has the timed run down and is working on the sit ups.

Thanks again for your kind wishes.

--Michelle
    Do you mean he got a 91? On your first post you said he needed a 91 or better to pass.
    How exciting for him and I can understand your being unsure of how to feel. It's scary when someone you love may be in harms way but just think of all the good he can/is doing. Good luck to him & hugs to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for him and good luck on his next steps!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congrats to him! I can imagine how exciting it is for him to be starting a new career after taking care of the kids for so long! Tell him to get out there and jog around the block! Good luck to him, at least he has a little bit of time to get ready for his physical, but hopefully he won't need it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene View Post
    Do you mean he got a 91? On your first post you said he needed a 91 or better to pass.
    How exciting for him and I can understand your being unsure of how to feel. It's scary when someone you love may be in harms way but just think of all the good he can/is doing. Good luck to him & hugs to you.

That's what I thought also. (DH was not real clear on this before he took the test.)The way it works out is this: those that got a 90 or better will be called to take their physical fitness exams this weekend. Then they'll call the next round in a couple of weeks or so to take it. They had to have made a 70 or better to pass. If they even passed, they are considered "in" to go to the next round. They give a 5 point advantage to ex military, ex police, etc. My DH is neither of these so I think the score of 81 is pretty darn good. He said he didn't expect the test to be so tough and difficult to finish. There were many that weren't even finished when they called time.

--Michelle
    Last edited by Michelle68; 09-05-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Mortgage -- $36,472.81

----------------------

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats to your DH on passing the written part of the test!!

Good luck to your DH on the physical fitness test! :goodluck: