Renting May Be More Expensive Than Owning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Renting May Be More Expensive Than Owning

But at this time I don't care.

I bought a house 7 years ago. I'm a single female. I have suffered harassment from two male neighbors and vandalism to my house. I don't want to go into everything but it's been a nightmare.

I own a house and have a yard and I am afraid to even have a dog. I'm afraid the neighbors will harm it. I can't hang laundry out (something I LOVE to do) because they throw garbage in my yard and my yard feels dirty because of that.

I plan to sell the house. Rents have gone up and I'll probably break even on renting vs mortgage when all the taxes, insurance and additional utilities for a house are added in. One nice complex I viewed would probably make renting even more. I will lose the tax write off. I'll have to live without that.

I have put upkeep into this house and needed improvements like new windows. I actually resent everything I have to do for this house. Even the yard work. I have been cursed at by my neighbor when out in my yard.

I've had it. I almost look forward to renting again and not having to worry about all this. I have not taken a vacation in over 7 years because I am afraid to leave the house.

I know an apartment will have apartment noise again but I have neighbors who play their stereo loudly outside and I can hear it throughout the house. Also they use surround sound TV where I can hear the rumbling from that in the house too.

Just needing to vent really. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow I'm sorry you are living like that. Maybe a house in a nicer neighborhood? Whatever you decide I wish you peace & happiness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the nice wishes Darlene. I'd like to rent and recover for a time. In less than 7 years I will be 55. I would then like to buy a nice little mobile in an all adult park.

My parents have lived in their manufactured home in a really nice park for 15 years and they love it. Safe, quiet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck--the important thing is for you to feel safe and be happy!
    The math never lies, budget in INK!

EF $4900

Camper (Start March 2013) $4645.26/ $1580.27

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I understand your pain! I owned (single female) a condo and had neighboers from hell as well as a homeowners association that kept raising the fees. I tell you I'm much happier renting, because if I have to I can move easier than having to sell a house (had the condo on the market for nearly a year!)
    Stacey

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Cricketlegs. That is what I hope for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you also StaceyS. (I seemed to over look your post some how)

Wow. On the market for a year. That is terrible. But it sounds like it finally sold!

I'm lucky that this place is in a "good" neighborhood and both agents told me, that priced right, this place will sell.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck to you! Being a homeowner is not for everyone, especially as you get older and unable to keep up with the work involved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, HandyMom, it's a lot of work. Thanks for your understanding on that. I have been close to tears working in the yard because I hate it and get so tired.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so sorry! What crummy luck. We have neighbors we never talk to at all. We don't dislike them and they are not disruptive, and now I feel lucky! I hope you are able to sell quickly and achieve better living conditions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Aww that really sucks. I have neighbors on one side of me that well, the guy is nice and they have a cute little girl but the wife is a complete raging PMS attack. I've had some pretty crappy neighbors while growing up and while I didn't have any like that (except for the basement suite we lived in...both tenants in the years we lived there have been needed to be dragged out of their homes by the cops) while living alone, I know how it can be.

I hope you can find a nice place to be in until you get your place at 55.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you're able to sell your house and find a nice apartment to rent. I feel very bad that you've been going through this with your crummy neighbors.

--Michelle
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $35,550.71

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a single female in a house and I feel your pain! My neighbours throw their peach pits and corn cobs into my yard when they're through eating. Nice, huh? This is an elderly retired couple. They also made a habit of shoveling their snow up against my house along with my snow. Problem is the melting snow runs into my basement. I've let them know why I say thanks but no thanks. I've been nice about it and ranted and raved....leave my bleeping snow alone, shovel in front of your own house. After 6 years, I think the message sunk in last winter.

I'm stuck here for the next few years but I'm definitely going back into an apartment for a while when I sell. Being a single female homeowner is not all it's cracked up to be.

frugal_cavy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you manage to find some peace where ever you end up. Good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have always rented and never wanted a house. Too much work, to start with. I love picking up the phone and calling maintenance. In my new apartment, when I picked up the keys Monday, the kitchen light would not come on. A phone call and it was fixed when I got there with the movers yesterday. I love all that being someone else's headache.

Also, I also agree about being able to move easily. That is one reason I have never wanted a house. If you get awful neighbors there is just no easy way to get away if you own your house. And I have moved from apartments because of obnoxious neighbors - but not very often.

I hope you find a good place and manage to sell you home quickly.
    Donna

2015 Use It Up Challenge: 0/17 Caron One Pound lapghans -- 0/? HL Yarn
    2015 Not One Penny for Crafts:
    2015 Reading Challenge: 0/12 month -- 0/144 year
    2015 Stockpile -- note to self: remember this one
    12/15/15: July 31 goal - 26.7%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast