Frugal Village Forums banner

Too much too fast

Tags
fast
2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  aimeebee 
#1 ·
As some of you know I make primitive crafts. I primarily sell them in my antique booth. Right now I sell more of my handmade stuff then I do actual antiques. I had made a line of Christmas products for my booth and was contacted by a person who wanted to buy things from me at wholesale. She liked everything I had and bought it all two weeks ago. Leaving me with nothing to put in my booth. So I had exactly two weeks to create an entire new line. I have been working like crazy. Then My dh lost his job and the pressure is on for me to make more money. So I decide to open an online store and the opening is tomorrow. The problem is I don't have enough product for just my brick and mortar store let alone an on-line store as well. And I know what product they are going to want. My rag garlands, unfortunately that is the one product that takes the most work to create and I make the least profit on. I am afraid of disappointing everyone all the way around. And now I'm afraid that selling my things at wholesale was a huge mistake. There is just no way I can make enough products to fill all the demand and now I'm going to be shortchanged in the end.
I'm feeling so much pressure right now that I'm finding it difficult to do anything. Everything I try to create turns to crap.
Anyways just needed to vent , You all think I'm so strong but I wanted to show you that I have my weak moments.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you enlist the help of your dh and/or other family members to do any of the assembly?

I have a little side business as well, and I'm curious as to why you are opening the on-line store in addition to selling at the booth, if you don't have enough inventory to do both. I do a little on-line business, and people don't like to wait very long for their stuff. I would recommend not putting stuff up for sale if you haven't made enough to meet the demand. Either that, or putting a very big and unmissable note that states that each ordered item will be custom-made at the time of purchase and could therefore take "x" number of days before shipping.

#4 ·
I appreciate you trying to keep your readers/customers happy. Just be sure you don't promise what you can't deliver. That is a quick way to lose all your customers and end up in the hole trying to pay for the web-hosting and such. Trying to expand too soon has been the downfall of enough small businesses that we should learn a lesson from it. I've been in that position, where I have people asking me if I can sell them more and more, and trying to accomodate them, and killing myself in the process. You have to stop and ask yourself if you are being practical and if you are ready to move up to the next step. If the truthful answer is no, then you shouldn't. I had to shut down for several months to regroup and start up again in a way that kept ME in charge, rather than the demand.

You just sound a lot like I did before I had to make that decision.

G
#5 ·
What about Etsy where you just list what's completed?
It's free to join and you could just list a few things as a test.
Did you happen to see when BlackApple blogger/etsy member went on Martha Stewart? It may be at YouTube.

I am a starving crafter LOL, so the thought of wholesale scares me.
I would rather YOU make the moola instead of someone who marks your stuff up for their shop?

#6 ·
And be sure to hold on to your quality. That's probably what folks have been appreciating about your work.

#7 ·
Hi
While your hubby is on unemployment, let him do the household chores.
This would free time up for you, to make your crafts.

I been trying to get some crocheted items done for Xmas presents, and a bunch
of items that I could sell at a craft show this month. No way do I feel comfortable with what I have on hand now to sell. I would have enougth to put on a table, and if the stuff started to sell, I would not have backup in totes ready to go. And not a real good color selection either. Only so much time in a day.
I toyed with the idea of doing wholesale, but the last offer I just got made me want to throw up. It's a jungle out there to be sure.
Good luck :)

#8 ·
Ann,

I know firsthand that your work is just awesome BUT I dont think you should have rushed into doing wholesale, I mean usually wholesaling means taking 50% off or a little less off your asking price, you have to remember to calculate your costs and labor when setting prices.

I hope everything turns out well for you, your such a sweet person and deserve only the best.

How's DH's job hunting coming along? Was he able to collect unemployment?

#9 ·
Yeah, I am putting a stop the wholesale thing. I was just so excited and shocked when she called me. I didn't have time to think it threw, now I fear I screwed myself. Well, chalk it up to lesson learned. I think this lady saw a pray. I gave her 35% off but I still made good money on a few of the things I sold her. It was fast cash and I used that money to buy more supplies. It's more about a time crunch thing.

dh is getting unemployment but thats only about half what we need.

#10 ·
If your doing well in the store and the rag garlands are a hit make more! I know they are time consuming but could you also put up one with a sign saying made to order and your number? Is it something DH could help with putting together? or the housework while you do them? As for the wholesale....its a great compliment to have someone want to sell your things. If she wants them bad enough and has a market for them...she will pay the price you ask! So dont ever discount yourself too much. Let them take the lesser profit if they really want the product. Most of these places mark things WAY up so its not always a huge thing for them to pay a little more. Good luck!!

#11 ·
For right now i would focus on the booth because i think you could bring in more money. I realize that you are under a lot of pressure but take a deep breath make a list of what you really want to focus on. You and your family will get through this.

#12 ·
Before having my son I handmade purses and sold them. It got to the point where I felt like I was working in a sweat shop because that's all I did. I told my dad this and he said "If they are selling that fast then your price is too low" I marked my purses from $20 to $30 and I made a few less but in the end actually made more money because of the marked up price. So for me marking up my price meant less work and more money.

Andrea

#13 ·
You have a good point and I thought the same thing so I did raise my price , they are still selling faster then I can keep up. BUT not in my shop. The booth is my slowest selling point. In fact just this morning my wholesaler called me to ask for more because she said she sold out of hers? WHat!??!?! She has only had them for two weeks, yet I haven't sold a single one out of my shop. I'm certain my location is a problem but tha'ts for anther story.

#16 ·
I wouldn't do the wholesale thing again anytime soon. I think she got your stuff for a song. Your work is top-notch and I think you're not charging enough. Out of curiosity--what is the easiest thing for you make and what do you have a lot of (probably not much at this point!). I'm sorry you're going through this stress.

G
#17 ·
Not to add to your work load but have you made rag garlands the way they are at The Nesting Place?
Nester makes them super extra full and even hangs charms or other personalized items in there. (PS she's promoting crafter/moms like you right now also)

Also have you considered Etsy also?
People get pretty good prices for their stuff there.
I can make some of the items cheaper so I just window shop.

But people really do shop there, I know some of the customers :D

#18 ·
Ann, sorry about your husbands job loss. That's really tough.

Let's look at things. What's your overhead to have the booth? Is your product really making any money there? You might want to consider going only online, and referring everyone to your online store instead. This can be cost effective.

As to the wholesaler selling out, do you know at what price she sold the product for? She may have undercut you. You gave her 35% off, she may have sold it for less than your retail, making only 20%. But you know what? That's a decent profit. I'd totally stay away from wholesale. As a crafter myself I've looking into wholesale, and with all the time wasted trying to get hte best prices for my supplies, driving to get them at the best prices I lose not only time but money. So I don't do it. I tell them, I'd may arrange a consignment that is beneficial to me. Meaning if it's get sstolen from their shop, they are responsible for the full price. No deals, no it sucks to be me when some one steals it. I've found out store owners might say it's lost and yet they ahve it in their homes.(this really happened, a unique itme was "stolen", I was later having a meeting in her home and saw it. I picked up all my product the next day). This is your little business. You make the rules not your buyers.

Now, I am not sure what a rag garland is, but I'm sure there's something in that production that your dh is capable of helping with. If you want to make it work, you will. He will stand by and help you. I know many a couple that do crafts full time for a unique product. So get him involved. He might scoff and sputter for a bit, but he'll come around.

#19 ·
I can understand wanting more business since your dh is unemployed. It is a hard place to be since you need the money and the sales. But, please don't take a big pay cut to get it. Not only will you work harder for less money, but you might make it harder for yourself and others in the future by bringing down the going price for the items you produce. Not saying this to be harsh...but personally, I'd rather wait for someone who is willing to pay what my work is actually worth, than sell a bunch of product to one person at a steal of a price. If you feel you should give a discount for large purchases, make it more like a 10% - 20% discount at the most so that you would still make a good profit from them at the sale price. Otherwise, someone could take your finished product to a store, show or auction site and make a killing when you did all the work. You paid for all the materials, did the work, put in the time...you should be the one to merit the profit. :) Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.