I'm back and husband update.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I'm back and husband update.

Hi everyone, I am back. It seems like it has been forever since I have had a chance to post. If you remember me you might remember that my husband was having heart problems. Well, yes he did have a heart attack. We finally were able to get to the doctor and a week ago last Friday he had a stint put in the artery on the front of his heart. It was a 70 % blockage there. He also has a few other 30% places but they are hoping medicine and dietary changes will take care of those. He is still weak he said last night that he feels a little stronger every day.

Now for the fun part. As you may remember we have no insurance and although we have not gotten the bills yet we are figuring $20,000 or so. He is also on plavex for 1 year. They said he could not miss one dose or it could be deadly. That one medicine is $163 dollars a month. So his meds are now over $200 a month. Also he was suppose to do cardiac rehap, which we can not afford so we got a membership in the health and fitness club where they do the rehab and they are helping him on the side. So another $80 a month. Also we already owed the heart doctor $1800 and are having to pay $185 to them every month. So needless to say times are going to be tight around here. We are bless that our house is through his parents so if things get to tight they will work with us, I think. So now it is just learning how to eat very healthy on a budget. I just don't understand how if they take things out like fat and salt it ends up costing you more. But on the bright side. In the last 3 weeks of changing just a few of our diet items I have lost 7 pounds. So maybe it will get us all healthier and maybe my kids won't deal with this in their life.
    Well, if you are still reading thank you and hope to talk to you more soon.

Jeanna

Wife to Ken for 27 years
    DS 25
    DD 20

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I'll try again tomorrow. --Mary Anne Radmacher

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I'm so happy for you and your hubby.

We are learning how to eat healthier on a budget too. Maybe we can learn together.
    Last edited by imagine; 11-12-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check your hospital where he had all the care done at. They have a program that helps when you have no insurance. Most all hospitals have them, its through the billing department. They can wipe it clean or cut a percentage off.Someone i knew was in the hospital and the bill for $30 thousand and they helped him and he had to pay only a few thousand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about your hubby, but glad to hear everything is going to be ok.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So glad to hear that your husband is on the mend. I hope everything continues to get better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope you husband continues to get stronger and that the diet changes will be enough to keep him healthy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There are also programs that will help with getting your meds taken care of. My dh's aunt now receives the biggest part of her meds free from the drug companies. It just involves some paperwork through the doctor's office. It would be worth checking into. I am glad to hear that your dh is feeling better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

KH i forgot about that program also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending good thoughts out to y'all for your husband's continued recovery.
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $36,472.81

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending good thought to your family, don't worry everything will work out. I had a bill for 50,000. when my daughter was born. I only paid a few thousand in the end.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad your husband on the mend. I hope the hospitals and doctors work something out for you so you don't have to owe so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sending good thoughts to the both of you

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow Jeanna, sorry to hear your DH had a heart attack. I'm impressed to see that a few lifestyle changes are doing great for the both of you!

Have you checked to see if Plavex is obtainable through Wal-Mart? I'd also check with the pharmaceutical company and see if you can get help. Last, I'd check the Partnership for Prescription Assistance. Given that you guys will be inheriting a large set of bills, they may be able to help.

There are alot of really great recipes out there that have fat and salt either reduced or removed from the diet. Cooking from scratch is a good head start because you can control the amount of fat and/or salt in your diet. Alot of salad dressings that are light, reduced fat or reduced sodium are really delicious too! I'm also a big fan of using herbs and spices that don't have salt in them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are in my thoughts and hope all continues in the upward direction! Congrats on the weight loss. Your family will benefit greatly from these changes. Best of luck!