Frugal Village Forums banner

Do You Get Antsy When Snowed In?

Tags
antsy snowed
2K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  LuvMyHubby 
#1 ·
With all the blizzard and severe weather warnings up, I was thinking about what to do if we are snowed in. It doesn't happen a lot where we live now, but when we lived in Iowa, we were snowed in a lot. I don't remember ever (either a child or now) getting antsy when snowed in.

It was always a time that I could actually relax and do some things that ordinarily didn't get done: bake, simmer some soup, read, do jig saw puzzles, nap, etc.

But I know people who are just cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof nervous about being inside for a prolonged period of time. They pace, want to get out, and keep looking for the snowplow.

How about you? Is being snowed in a time for relaxing or a time to be nervous, or something else?

#2 ·
The only thing I think about is the fact that first responders probably will not be able to reach us. I worry about no fire, police or emt's. As far as staying home, I'll bet we could do a month easy. Sometimes, it pays not to be very sociable.

#3 ·
I love the idea of being snowed in, get some baking done, make soup, relax, watch movies but my kids just seem to go crazy and quite honestly can make it miserable. I feel bad admitting that but it's the truth. I used to love it as a kid I am from Grand Forks N.D. which is in the news right now as the coldest spot in the states and they have been having a horrible blizzard. So as a kid I loved it, as an adult I don't always love the reality I guess!

#4 ·
I lived in Iowa for 9 years. I did not like being snowed in. There is something about being told you need to stay inside. I also didn't like the idea that I could not get somewhere.
If I could focus on somethingelse, then it was better. There is nothing like baking on a cold winter day.

#5 ·
I enjoy the quiet bliss of being snowed in and it only takes a few inches to declare a snow day here! :) During the ice storm, my nervousness came in only during those uncertain days when we thought the power would go off for good. But I enjoy the days at home.

#6 ·
It's never bothered me.

Usually it's just bad roads that you wouldn't drive on, but if there was an emergency you could always take the risk. There was only once that we were ever in a position where leaving was completely impossible. In 2004 we had 110 cm in one day, it was too deep for snowplows so they had to clear the roads with backhoes and dump trucks. We couldn't even find the road for two days. No one had to go to work, it was fun.

#9 ·
Living in Illinois, it's inevitable that we will get snowed in quite often, so I guess after living here my whole life, I'm totally used to it. It's just a part of winter.

The kids love it becuase they get a break from school, and they usually spend at least part of the day playing out in the snow, with a hot chocolate treat at the end, so they enjoy that part.

Being a SAHM, I guess I'm pretty used to spending my days at home without going out, so it's not much different to me than any other winter's day! I usually just go about my regular schedule.

I actually need to go check and see if DS has school today. We got several inches last night, and even DH may be home. I took him to work, but they were questioning wether to send the trucks out or not. They are sending him out, but if the roads are too bad once the guys get out they will call them back in and send them home. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, becuase once they punch in, they are guaranteed 8 hours of pay...plus, he'll have to make up the day on Saturday, so it means some good OT!

I'm guessing the kids will be out of school, becuase I can't see the buses running, since the plows haven't been out at all yet!

#13 ·
Well, even if snowed in I still have all the normal things to do around here plus I usually end up outside sledding or making snowballs with the kids and talking to the neighbors if I see them. And of course I've got FV. Really, it doesn't change much for us at all except the kids might miss school.

#14 ·
Yes, I get antsy, but the funny thing is that I'm a homebody and don't go out too often as it is. But I like the freedom to go whenever the urge strikes :)

#15 ·
If nobody has to drive in bad weather & the power stays on, I'm a happy camper. Staying home in front of the fire and just being cozy is the best.

#17 ·
I'm horribly claustrophobic so it does bother me some. But as long as I can pull on my boots and go take a walk I can stave of the worst of it.

My major worry is a husband in his 70s with some health issues, but I'll deal with that if it comes to it.

#18 ·
I'm not too far south of you and I hear you about not getting much snow. I miss that. I loved it when I lived in Maine and there was 3 feet of snow on the ground. I could bake, sew, read, or do whatever. I really want a snow day! (would be nice though if I can get ahold of wood for the stove first thought) :D

Debbie

#19 · (Edited)
I don't get antsy per say but even if it is really brutal and my parking lot is literally not plowed out, I am still obligated to go to work and it it isn't plowed out well then I take the bus or walk. Either way for me on a week day snowed in is a myth. Driving in icy or snow blinding conditions makes me antsy.

On the weekends I don't drive in it if I don't have to but I have to say if it is more than a two day event and I cannot get out, yep I get antsy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.