This is interesting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default This is interesting

I just brought a bag of Easter candy and when I got home I was reading the back og the bag and it said this.
    Allergen Information
    Manufactured in a facility thatmanufactures prducts containing non-fat dry milk and soy lecithin and processes products containing peanuts.
    I have never seen a warning like that before.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You may not have noticed it before, but because of the rise in peanut allergies many companies will have that warning.

I once saw that warning on a jar of PEANUT BUTTER! eh... Really??? Ya THINK it that people allergic to nuts would know that... but unfortunately, people do dumb things because there is nothing telling them not to (I don't even want to know who was the idiot that forces the hair dryer manufacturers to include the warning "Do not use while showering"
    I can't be out of money... I still have checks left!

Momma to the Diva
    Old Lady to the Old Man
    My Blog: http://frugaldomesticgoddess.wordpress.com

Making Yule
    Samantha x2 (1/2)
    Christopher x2
    Mom x2
    Larry x1
    Dave x1
    OldMan x5
    Diva x11 (1/11)

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I see it more and more on all kinds of products. People read labels these days and MFRs are increasingly aware of the dangers of lawsuits and are doing what they can to protect themselves.

As someone with a sensitivity to peanuts, I like having those warning labels, myself.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup it's sad but warnings like this are necessary because we live in a society that would rather make idiotic choices and then sue someone else for their stupidity. And they could very well win because idiotic jurys say someone else is at fault for not warning them to use common sense. I agree they are needed for health issues that may not be obvious.

Cat
    Last edited by Sassyclass; 02-18-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never much paid atention to warning like that but since my #3 son moved back home with his family. I have to. His oldest son is austic and has behavioral problems so his Dr told them to take him off all dairy. He does better when he doesn't get any. Now if the new school would get it through their head.....
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ya gotta love our "Nanny-State"... I wish the government would just stay out of it all and let people regain what WAS considered a normal level of common sense.
    Kace - married to Dh for 14 years

Always pinchin' pennies!

Registered User phoeny_moonstar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep, i've been seeing this on packages more and more. I never did understand why you would put that warning on PEANUT butter. But *sigh* people these days just want to sue everyone and anyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2BeFrugal View Post
    Ya gotta love our "Nanny-State"... I wish the government would just stay out of it all and let people regain what WAS considered a normal level of common sense.
    I don't belive these are gov't mandated warnings... these are notes from the manufacturers. They do so to inform the public and limit there own liability if some one who needs to stay away from dairy isn't educated enough to know that it means to stay away from whey for example.

I've seen these warning for years now on some products. Some of them do seem silly, like notes about peanuts on peanut butter, but I am very happy to see them. I like to be an informed consumer, I like it that I am being informed about the additional prodcuts being manufactured in the same location, it saves me time from having to call all the manufactures and grill them on their business practices.

The way our food is made today is down right scary, and some of the ingrediants don't come with a decoder ring to determine what the heck they are.
    Last edited by Denvergirlie; 02-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Denvergirlie, I actually agree with you on something! I know you from another board we are on together.

But you have to remember, sometimes these products you would never suspect has the allergen you are looking for are made in the same plant as the allergen.

I will give you another example. A boy in my son's pre-k is allergic to nuts. Well I am not up on my nut stuff (my son was allergic to egg and soy as an infant....that I know about!). So when looking for snacks I can look at the warning labels and see these pretzels are okay, but these pretzel are NOT okay. Because one brand is made in the same plant they process nut products.

So yes, these label warnings are awesome!

I strongly disagree in calling this a nanny state.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have seen that warning for a while now. Even the deli case at walmart where you buy chicken has that warning on the glass.
    The math never lies, budget in INK!

EF $200

Camper (Start March 2013) $4645.26/ $2,869.19
    Student Loan#2 Start May 2013) $4196.45/ $3542.70

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think we are better off with the warning. Better safe then sorry.
    Fern

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post

I once saw that warning on a jar of PEANUT BUTTER! eh... Really??? Ya THINK it that people allergic to nuts would know that... but unfortunately, people do dumb things because there is nothing telling them not to (I don't even want to know who was the idiot that forces the hair dryer manufacturers to include the warning "Do not use while showering"
    I just looked at the peanut butter sitting on my desk and it states:

Allergy warning: contains peanuts, manufactured in a facility that processes milk, eggs, anchovies, wheat and soybeans.

I know it goes without saying that it contains peanuts, but processing anchovies in the same place?! I guess that deserves a warning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see those warnings a lot.

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dd bought a small can of mixed nuts Saturday. The warning on the back of the can???

May contain peanuts and/or other tree nuts

UMMMMMMMM..............ya think?? Dd read it to me and said "man I'd be really ticked if I opened a can of mixed nuts and it didn't have peanuts or other tree nuts in it!"

I can understand buying a candy bar that doesn't have nuts in it and it having a warning that it was processed in a plant that makes other products with nuts. If you have a nut allergy that's good to know. But to buy a can of MIXED NUTS and be warned that it contains NUTS is well...........nutty!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I once had a student who we had to give an epi-shot too after he drank orange juice from the milk cooler... apparantly some of the milk had leaked onto the carton. (His mom sent his drink in with his lunch after that.) It was VERY scary to see a 6 year old boy unable to breath. And I couldn't have dairy while nursing my daughter or she would get very ill. Thankfully she outgrew this sensitivity but I did become quite the label reader during that year. The warnings are a good thing even if some of them are silly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast