jobs

Thread: jobs

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default jobs

I just found out a place in our community is shutting its doors. This I know is not uncommon now. The workers will get unemployment, at least the ones that can. The business is fileing bankruptcy to pay off outstanding bills and then they will call the employees back but at a lower wage than hat they were making. If they refuse then no job and no unemployment since they refused to come back. This to me sounds like another way for business' to get out of their responsibilities. Once is one thing but this guy has done this before many times. What happens to all the bills that this guy owes?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well that really sux! What a meanie!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is instances like these that really make me angry. We are paying for his bills he didn't pay through taxes and cuts in services! UGH
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In Michigan you aren't required to accept a job at a lower wage than you were making in order to draw down your unemployment, nor do you have to look further than 35 miles away from your home.

Companies are closing their doors everywhere and it is sad. It's like the Big 3...a lot of people think the workers should accept pay cuts down to what the foreign automakers who have plants in the US pay their workers...to that I say WTF...since I haven't noticed the price of those cars drop any even though they pay a much cheaper wage.

All we can do is keep plugging along and hopefully the economy will pick back up again.
    Last edited by mombottoo; 03-24-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are having a meeting at work tomorrow. We are hearing through the grapevine they are going to ask us to pay 1/2 of our insurance. I pay $15 a month for good insurance, health only. If I paid 1/2 I would be paying at least $300 a month. If this is what they are going to ask my answer will be keep all of your money. I'll be getting married real soon and have his insurance with dental and vision. I'll save them money. Someone also said they were talking about asking us to take a pay cut. I'll only do this if they don't mess with the insurance. They did already ask the salaried employees to take a 10% cut last week and they agreed. Since December they have done away with our quarterly incentive program, stopped contributing to 401k, and just last week they posted they will no longer be providing free coffee for employees. I've always thought providing coffee for employees was a waste of money, they don't provide soda for non coffee drinkers.I'm sure the next thing to go will be our reward day. To me this is a no brainer. I always thought my reward for working was my paycheck.They give us a paid day off for every 90 or 120 days we work without missing, depending on our hours( 8 hr. people only have to go 90 days because they work 5 days a week while 12 people work 120 days since they work a 4 day one week and 3 day the next week rotation). They also laid 2 more guys off Sunday. My department can't keep up but the rest of the
    plant is very slow.It's getting scary.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is scary; but be happy you have a job at all. Most of the reason for companies asking you to pay insurance is because of the insurance companies. When they pay outrageous money for an aspirin in the hospital; then they raise their rates; employers cannot keep up with that. I have been married for 33 years and we have paid our own insurance for most of it with no dental and no prescription.

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I were to go on my dh's insurance, now this is just me no body else. It would cost almost 1000 a month. Witht hat you havenothingleft to buy groceries so you'd die anyway from starvation so why pay it? ( don't mean to be flip but it's true) We are able to get CHIPP or his daughter til she's 18. This isn't the first time this guy has done this and whats' bad is he has the money and the product topay his bills and employees. Just doesn't want to part with it. It's lumber industry and the market is down abut he owns mega property where he doesn't have to pay for logging and a gated home with security camers no less in a rural area of Pa. there is virtually no crime to speak of because f the close knit neighbors watching everybodys back. That's why I like it here. Everybody minds their own business but don't eventhink of crossing theline cause we'll know. He really has no reason to do this to his emloyees

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mombottoo View Post
    In Michigan you aren't required to accept a job at a lower wage than you were making in order to draw down your unemployment, nor do you have to look further than 35 miles away from your home.
    When you file in WV they ask you what you were making before and you get to decide how far you will go to look for work. The guy who helped me fill out my form told me to put that I would go no farther than 10 miles for work and to never accept less than I was making before. IF you refuse a job that is within your driving limit and at or over your income limit then you lose your unemployment. I like that we get to have some say in how it works here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    It is scary; but be happy you have a job at all. Most of the reason for companies asking you to pay insurance is because of the insurance companies. When they pay outrageous money for an aspirin in the hospital; then they raise their rates; employers cannot keep up with that. I have been married for 33 years and we have paid our own insurance for most of it with no dental and no prescription.

I agree. I wish we had the option of paying 1/2 (we already do kick in $50 a pay period = $100 a month for our health benefits for Single, DOUBLE that for family coverage!) Wish we were allowed to take a 10% pay cut/no raise/no bonus/no match to our 401K in order to keep our jobs, but our company (HUGE Law Firm in NYC making mega $$, so what's their reason for lay-offs then?) won't even consider it!

It must be nice to have those kinds of options in order to keep one's job. I guess for some people though they feel entitled to keep it all and carry on like there are no problems with the economy. TIMES ARE HARD Everyone is effected and Everyone is supposed to be in this together. So quite complaining already and be thankful you all even still have jobs! I and plenty of other people would give our right eye to be give such an option.
    Last edited by Gardengal18; 03-25-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If insurance is the issue, have you considered self-insuring? My hubby's got great benefits and his employer covers him and the kids for 70 a month... to add me (SAHM) it would be another 600$ a month. This was before the recession. I decided to self-insure and I contacted a insurance company and got an individual policy for about 100$ a month. It covers major medical, no prescription/dental and has a large deductible, but I have no complaints. I am saving 500$ a month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pop goes the weasel View Post
    If I were to go on my dh's insurance, now this is just me no body else. It would cost almost 1000 a month. Witht hat you havenothingleft to buy groceries so you'd die anyway from starvation so why pay it? ( don't mean to be flip but it's true) We are able to get CHIPP or his daughter til she's 18. This isn't the first time this guy has done this and whats' bad is he has the money and the product topay his bills and employees. Just doesn't want to part with it. It's lumber industry and the market is down abut he owns mega property where he doesn't have to pay for logging and a gated home with security camers no less in a rural area of Pa. there is virtually no crime to speak of because f the close knit neighbors watching everybodys back. That's why I like it here. Everybody minds their own business but don't eventhink of crossing theline cause we'll know. He really has no reason to do this to his emloyees
    Have you checked into getting insurance on your own? Like I said earlier we do not have prescription or dental; we also have $1000 deductible, but we are paying $135 a month for Blue cross for my husband. $1000 ded is alot of money; but it sure is better than having a $40,000 hospital bill in case of emergency. I live in MI, I'm not sure how your state is; but it would sure be worth it to check it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would think that this kind of person should be an example. Get ahold of your local secretary of state and congresscritters. Right now, people manipulating the system for simple gain at the expense of others are REALLY unpopular (AIG).

My .02, but that's what I'd do!
    Judi