I live in a zoo!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I live in a zoo!!

It started out yesterday with the Black Lab going nuts barking at something, so I went to the door and looked out and there in our yard was a big beautiful male Pheasant. I ran to get my phone to snap a pic and it was gone when I got back. Now this morning both dogs woke me up barking as if they wanted to kill something so up I get and my fiance was already outside. I walked out onto the porch and there is a beaver waddling through out yard. Now I know beavers aren't rare but they are around here. There are only a couple of farm ponds near us. We watched him cross the road. Half way across a car had to stop for him. He slapped his tail 3 times snapped at the car and went on his way. It was the strangest thing we've seen in awhile. My fiance keeps saying he still can't believe we had a beaver in our yard. I swear if an elephant runs through here tomorrow, I'm getting the heck out of here!!

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! We just get chipmunks and field mice around here. What a sight that pheasant must have been

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd love to see that! Down here we get woodpeckers this time of year. I was shocked at how small they actually are. Also have seen eagles because there's an aerie a few blocks from here. Also groups of egrets manage there way over here on my lawn from all the surrounding lakes. I love it!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cat - you have a great zoo!! We have mongoose, egrets, geckos,whales and dolphins. Love going to the mainland to see chipmunks - they delight me!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh wow .. that would have been sooo neat!!!! We have ground squirls and mice ewww... birds of all kinds that kind of migrate.. wild turkeys from across the road.. but they mostly stay on that side.. but i can see them from my window. And then deer.. not very often .. but once in awhile. But then we have a horse, goats... rabbits, cats and a couple of dogs lol .. we live on a farm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We get the animals you'd normally think of seeing in the country. We have a very high population of whte-tail deer and turkey, we get skunks, raccoons, squirrels,fox, and occasionally a coyote. Last year the Conservation officers had to capture 2 young black bears but never found their mother. The pheasant was a gorgeous surprise since you may see them in fields once in a while. Now the beaver was just a "Where the heck did he come from and where the heck is he going" head shaking experience. I'm sure we will never see that again.
    Mauimagic, you can keep your zoo and I'll gladly keep mine. My daughters ex fiancee is from Australia and I can't imagine living with so many poisonous critters!! Ummm mongoose = cobra
    I'd give anything to see a wolf in the wild. I collect wolves and the Blackfoot Indian in me wants so badly to see one without any human interference.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I envy the pheasant sighting. We used to have a lot of them. They would visit my garden and peck holes in the tomatoes. I think they're beautiful. I believe that the foxes ran them off a long time ago.

Seeing that beaver must have been so cool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we don't have anything around here but the typical farm animals, deer, stray cats, birds, squirrels, racoons & possum)....

i have a terrible habit of feeding everything that comes around (and i open up the backdoor and throw food out all the time....used to keep a bowl of catfood for all the strays at the other house...had tons of them but don't seem to have any here at the new house)....

probably a good thing coz all the strays ate from the bowl....then the raccoons started coming and then one night DH was sitting out on the screened in porch and came running in the house 'squealing' and slamming the door...."gosh darn it...stop feeding all these $##@ animals".... what's wrong i asked him.... he said "i was sitting on the porch and this GAINT possum threw himself at the screen and tried to 'get' me...." of course as he was describing the scene he had his arms stretched out as wide as they would go when he said 'giant'....(that made this possum 5ft tall...dh is 6'3"...he has long arms).....poor guy....what a fright....lol
    Last edited by sabrelvssammy; 03-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love it, the surprises you can wake up to in the mornings are always fun!
    And yes, if an elephant runs across the yard, GET OUT OF THE WAY! LOL

We live in the country, and we have deer, coyotes, fox, skunks, and raccoons, pheasants, ducks, geese, egrets, kingfishers. My daughter yelled the other day "come look what is in the dog run!" I got there just in time to see a raccoon come in the fence and have a look around. I was so glad the dogs wasn't out there.....I bet he wouldn't have come to visit if he had been greeted at the fence! I love the different things that show up. The neighbor has a pond and it is so fun when the birds come in. I wish I had a pond...... It really does make for a zoo sometimes! But it sure is fun.