Frugal Village Forums banner

how many gallons of milk do u buy weekly

5K views 56 replies 54 participants last post by  redhead68 
#1 ·
We are a family of 4 , we go through 2 gallons a day. That all my kids want to drink,In a 7 day period we by around 12 to 14 gallons.Its killing us,

#3 ·
Family of four we go through 1 or 2 gallons as week. Depends on the week.

#7 ·
We're a family of 5 and we drink 3.5 gallons a week. I buy 2 gallons of skim for the kids and I and 1 gallon of 1% for dh. We all have it with cereal, and then the kids have it with dinner and lunch, if it's a weekend. The youngest wants it all the time, and I certainly allow that. The rest of the time we drink water or Crystal Light.

#8 ·
We are a family of four and go threw 2 gallons a week.

#13 ·
personally? zero
but my mom does go through about a gallon a week

#14 ·
We used to go through about a gallon a day or more. But I've cracked down on the milk drinking. I know that sounds bad, but everyone is still getting a healthy dose of milk each week.

I buy 2 gallons of 2% for the kids and 2 gallons of skim for me and DH and that is all she wrote. If we run out before the next grocery trip, then we just make do!

#15 ·
i buy a gallon about every 2 weeks for dh... he likes milk but i hate that he drinks it....(i live in the camp where i think milk is bad for adults ..even organic... and bad for kids in general because of all the hormones & antibiotics being passed thru it....unless you are doing organic...unfortunately who can afford that.....)

Reactions: InDiAnNa
#17 ·
I buy 3 to 4 gallons a week for my family of 6. If my kids and dh had their way they would drink milk all day long like it was water. I limit them to milk with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and an occasional glass when we have cookies for a snack. For drinks throughout the day there is water, juice, or tea.

#18 ·
Even though we're 3 adults and 1 teenager, we don't drink a lot of milk. (A bit lactose intolerant.) We go through about 3/4 to one gallon of milk a week.

#19 · (Edited)
On 'average' about a gallon per week, but if I buy 'candy cereal, we can easily go through 2-3 gallons per week.
(I forgot to mention, this is for a family of 4~2 adults & 2 teenagers)

I don't buy the 'candy cereal' that often though because well, first, it's expensive but if I do find a good deal on it, they'll just eat it till it's gone.

So um yeah, about a gallon per week.

But I don't buy it weekly usually, when I find a really good sale, I'll stock up.
Like yesterday I went by the new Aldi's and bought 2 gallons for $2.99 each and put them in the freezer.
(If you can believe it, they also had eggs for, get this~.49 cents a dozen!!!! I couldn't believe it!)

I like to keep about 6 gallons in the freezer at any given time, that way I don't have to worry about making sure I have some on hand.

#20 ·
We are a family of six and go through a gallon or less a week. Rarely it's more than a gallon. The only one who drinks milk is the 7yo and he only has a cup every other day or so. Other than that, it's used for cereal in the mornings and I add a bit to my tea in the evenings. And it's always skim milk.

I can't imagine going through a gallon a day! There are THIRTY TWO servings in a gallon of milk!!!! Even divided among four people, that's still EIGHT servings of milk per day?!?! Wow!

#24 ·
Two adults. We use about 1- to 1-1/2-gallons per week. I use much of it for making homemade kefir and cooking.

We use a low-lactose powdered whey-based milk substitute - Morning Moo's, which is less expensive than store-bought milk and tastes closest to store-bought when reconstituted. I keep at least 3-years of this kind of milk product in storage.

I also use NIDO (dry whole milk powder - I get it at Wal-Mart in the Latino section), for things that work best with whole milk. I also keep 1st & Best - a lactose-free whey-based milk substitute - http://www.wheymilkusa.com/.

Morning Moo's Whey-Based Milk Substitute - http://www.moosmilk.com/:

-24.25-pound bucket - yields 35-gallons - $72.49/$2.07-gallon
-50-pound bag - yields 70-gallons - $115.99/$1.66-gallon

I've used one brand or another of whey-based milk substitute since 1981. We used it for our lactose-intolerant son (from the time he was 4-years old at the suggestion of his doctor), and our lactose-intolerant 13-yr. old granddaughter has used it since she was a year old and weaned from breast milk.

:soapbox:

Quenching thirst with endless glasses of milk is adding unnecessary calories and fat to the diet. If you aren't sure how many servings (or what a serving size is) of milk for each age group in your household, check out MyPyramid - http://www.mypyramid.gov/ Milk is just one form of food in the dairy group. Over-consumption of ANY kind of food is wasted food dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.