My first Diabetes support group meeting tonight
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default My first Diabetes support group meeting tonight

I am kind of nervous and excited..... weird. It feels like the first day of school....

I am not usually so easily rattled. But I think I am putting high expectations on this group.

I hope I can find some soul mates, family and friends just don't want to talk to me about diabetes because they don't know what to say... so many people are so frightened about injections they don't want to even think about.

I also hope my daughter can find some new friends.... she needs to see she isn't alone and that life goes on...

wish us luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How exciting for both you and your daughter - new friends and a new support group!! It sounds as if your daughter may be growing up faster because of dealing with the diabetes. One thing I always want the parents of children with disabilities to know is that their child is not the disability - they are a child with a disability - and we all are dealing with challenges - some are just easier to label.

Let us know how your meeting goes!!
    No spend days: J 9/16
    Monthly exercise: J 165/930
    Monthly savings: J-202, F-186,M-170,A-154, M-137, J-118, J-102, A-86, S-70, O-54, N-38, D-28

“Decluttering isn't just simplifying your life. It's having a vision, setting new priorities and using those notions to get rid of obstacles.”
    — Peter Walsh

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a feeling this will be so good for both of you, Holly.
    ______
    Cheryl

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance, but by our disposition." -------Martha Washington

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I HOPE the support group meeting goes well and gives you the support you need! When I was caring for my mother, I joined a monthly Alzheimer's support group. I had to jump through hoops to get mom taken care of and dinner ready for hubby to serve her so I could go, BUT it was SO worth it.

Being with others that are going through the same thing as you OR have been where you are now (just starting out) can be so helpful. I always came away from my support group meeting feeling refreshed, recharged, hopeful and determined to do the best job possible for my mom.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The support group sounds good! Also, if you have a camp for diabetic children near you, that would be great for your daughter. She isn't too old for it; I think they have kids as old as 13 or 14 go to it. It really will help her to feel "normal", so to speak.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Does she have to do injections? There may be some pills on the market that will help her regulate her insulin levels. I'm not sure, but I think Glucotrol might be one. Ask your doctor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, she needs injections. She is a type 1 . I think the pills are used for some type 11 (adult onset) diabetes. They are a very different disease.

Well I am back. Everyone was nice but I feel scared and rattled again, and questioning everything I know. I just started to feel slightly comfortable with the routine and now I am questioning everything again.
    So it was good but worrying too. This is a very scary disease.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think questioning what you've learned is very normal. You are new to this and when you are around people who have been dealing with this for awhile, you start to feel unsure of yourself. Please don't give up on the group just yet. Learning new things about your daughter's diabetes ,although nerve-wracking, is not a bad thing. Also, as you come to know some of the others there, you may find new friends and the support you need.
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $36,932.06

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers