How nice is this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How nice is this?

We live on a one lane dirt lane. In WV they had a program several years ago where the state highway dept. would "adopt" little roads like ours. You had to have so many people who owned property and or lived on the road and you had to deed over 10 feet of your property on each side of the road to the highway dept. Anyway they adopted ours. They mow it twice a year and they are supposed to keep it up as far as grating it out and putting down gravel, digging the ditches out, etc.

Our neighbors who are NOT nice people had been calling them in past years and just raising an unholy stink with them about fixing it. So they had pretty much stopped doing anything but mowing. The pot holes had gotten huge so I called and asked very nicely if they'd come and fix it. They started yesterday! Our personal driveway is not included in their "fixing". It goes up a steep hill and the massive amounts of rain have washed it out pretty badly. I stopped on my way in yesterday and asked if they would have a dump truck load of the dirt and rock they cleaned from the ditches. He told me yes they would, did I want it? I told him if it was free we'd love to have all they could bring us. So far this morning they have dumped three dump truck loads down the hill and they told my dh this morning that they would run the road grater up it to flatten it out for us! How sweet is that? Sometimes it really pays to live in a rural area!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love living in WV!!! That's awesome

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is awesome!!! Very nice of them to do that for you.
    May No Spend Days - 14 /15
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 132 /365
    2014 May Gas Challenge - $105 / $80
    May Keep Fit - 580 min / 750 min

2014 - 52 Week Saving Challenge - 3, 8, 9, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is great...smaller town kindness! works for me too.

we lived on a gravel road for 14 years. They paved us finally....we were the 3rd last road in the county that wasn't paved. Only 2 left to pave after us....then the whole county would be paved!

so they re-worked our yard ditch and pasture fence line and helped make a second driveway for turnaround for our trailers and tractors and all....they were so helpful it was unreal! I thanked them many times over!

nice when nice happens..LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think wv is one of the prettiest places I so wish I lived there. Trying to convince dh that is where we should be If I could leave Nj I would go today I love my house but the taxes are killing me over 7000.00 a year for virtually no land. I live in a small town but it definately doesnt have small town kindness I just keep praying Ill get to the country I hate suburbia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lora88 View Post
    I think wv is one of the prettiest places I so wish I lived there. Trying to convince dh that is where we should be If I could leave Nj I would go today I love my house but the taxes are killing me over 7000.00 a year for virtually no land. I live in a small town but it definately doesnt have small town kindness I just keep praying Ill get to the country I hate suburbia
    That's just crazy with the taxes! I just got my bill and it's just under $400/year for a 1200 sq ft house and a little bit of yard, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is always a good idea to be nice to a highway worker........

This is what my hubby does....and you would be surprised at how miserable folks can be sometimes.........and then again, how nice they can be. Working for the public is dang interesting.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WOW that's high! We have a nice sized house and a little over ten acres and our property taxes were just under 400.00 for a year! They are going up next year but nowhere near that much!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a neat thing.......nice treat to get the road/dirt done.

Sounds like you have a great area and some nice people. (to be cherished in this day and age)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is very nice of them. Then again it started with you being nice when you called. What goes around, comes around.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I grew up in NJ and have alot of family still there. My Aunt in Bloomfield pays $14,000 on my grandma's house. over 100 years old and a postage stamp size yard. WOOF!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow thats wonderful but shame on the mean neighbors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We drive through WV a couple of times a year visiting DD in North Carolina - what an absolutely beautiful place.
    Yes, small town living, country living is great.

PS We have 2200sf house with 1/3 acre and our taxes are under $400/year. AND our house is for sale if anyone really wants to escape!!
    PSS Last three reported crimes in our town were theft of lawn ornaments!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

NJ has the highest property taxes in the US dont ask me why its not that great to live here . Its pretty and clean and crime is low but thats about it In my opinion its the biggest ripp off in the world. Only thing keeping us here is DH job Hes afraid to leave with the economy the way it is but I feel like were trapped I keep hoping something will change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast