Just A Heads UP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just A Heads UP

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Just A Heads UP

Was at Walmart yesterday ( I hate shopping there but have no choice right now )
    Their brand products were more than name brand
    I was also looking at their elbow macaroni they had the 16oz 2 for $2.00 but the 32oz ( same exact weight ) was $1.74
    Pays to compare and shop slowly if you can. Just my op.

I bought the 32 oz one. ( every penny saved is in my pocket not theirs )
    To be One With The Universe In Spirit, Mind and Body

BEF $150/ $1000

"Every achiever that I have ever met says, 'My life turned around when I began to believe in me.'"
    ~ Dr. Robert H. Schuller, Minister and Author~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I ran into the same thing last time I shopped at WM. I was getting some bread flour and started to pick up the 5 lb bag when I noticed the 10 lb bag was less. My husband said "good catch, most people would have just assumed the 5 lb bag was cheaper" and I think he's right. I think Wal-Mart literally banks on the assumptions we make about what is cheaper....it definitely pays to check those assumptions!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed this too at our Walmart.You really have to keep an eye on Walmart now days. They absolutely are not the cheapest anymore.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

poor sam walton....his dream is going to be driven into the ground by his next generations.... never fails.....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great catch Holly! Keep up the supersleuthing!

I usually try to keep my grocery shopping done at the local discount grocery store where their store brand is truly cheaper then the brand. Some people guffaw at me for standing in the aisle calculating the cost per unit on my phone but its my hard earned pennies that I'm trying to keep! Why would they care?

I have noticed that in some cases its better for me to pay a bit more to buy the smaller package b/c I simply will not get through it all let alone the larger bulk size. Depends on your personal consumption right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've seen this at my local non-WM grocery stores, too. I've been trying to pay better attention no matter where I shop. Most recently I caught it with 5 lb sugars - the 10 lb was cheaper - at Food Lion.

I already don't like grocery shopping....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will definately keep this in mind when shopping!!!Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great catch Holly.....and thanks for the reminder that we need to watch these things.

The ounces/weight on the packaging are changing so fast right now that it is hard to keep up. TP squares = DOWN, ounces on toothpaste = DOWN, ounces on some coffee = DOWN, ounces on packaged meat = DOWN....:YIKES:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    poor sam walton....his dream is going to be driven into the ground by his next generations.... never fails.....
    you are so right, this was/is not his dream. And remember how they used to promote "Buy American"......... ha! that's a joke
    Terry

Apr grocery 169.81/217.00
    Apr coupon 23.65
    YTD grocery 849.47
    YTD coupon 252.09

New Recipe 4/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 4-16

1. clean/organize linen closet 2. organize/purge medicine cabinet 3. make at least one new recipe a month 0/12 4. learn to make 3 items from scratch 5. tame kitchen freezer 6. read To Kill A Mockingbird 7. watch Gone With The Wind 8. limit on-line game time to 30mins a day 9. write a letter monthly to MIL 10. make AND mail Christmas cards 11. repurpose 3 old items into something new 12. participate in monthly photo hunt 13. make 1 rag quilt 14. use exercise bike 4x wk 15. lose 3lbs a month 16. make work plan for camper 17. learn to back-up camper 18. participate in 1 SOTF get-together 19. complete dental work needed 20. say I Love You to loved ones daily

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do a huge amount of BOGO at Publix. The last 4 weeks I've caught mistakes. There will be something that does not right up free. Last night was not BOGO but their brand chips 2 for $4. Regular $3.69 which was what they rang up as.
    The first time it happened I was quiet and just told her to take the Ragu off. I had 4 jars, 2 of which were free. I got done and went to the assistant manager. We walked to the aisle and he said yes they are. He just gave them to me. I said I need to go pay, I haven't paid. He said No, just take them. It's fine. Hey, works for me. Maybe make up for the 15 years before when I didn't watch the scanner.

What makes it hard is unloading the cart AND keeping an eye on what is ringing up at the same time. Drives me crazy.

When I worked at Walmart long time ago and they MAY still do this, is if prices are going to be raised, what is already on the shelf stays the same until it is gone then the new shipment costing them more reflects the new price. Which means their brand may be selling better and quicker and the new higher price reflects sooner than the name brand which is selling slower and is now cheaper.

If this IS what they are doing then it's a good thing cause they aren't raising the prices on the already stocked that was bought by them at the lower cost. Hope I'm making clear what I mean. Not taking up for them but honestly they used to do this a few years ago.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge Mar
    $10.43

Coupons for Year / $110.43

Mar/ Grocery
    $58.58 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $58.58

Eat Out No More April
    Goal 20
    Accomp/1

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ALWAYS check and compare prices! Hubby asks me WHY don't I just grab one of whatever I need. I tell him I am comparing unit prices to MAKE SURE I get the best deal.

The larger size is not always the best deal. Sometimes the smaller size is a better deal. I recently bought a bunch of small jars of peanut butter. They were on sale and MUCH MUCH lower than any of the other sizes.

I also look for the red shelf tags at Kroger. They are discontinued items and are generally a really good deal. I learn my lesson a while back. I bought one of something and went back the next day and somebody had cleaned out the whole shelf.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good catch. I pretty much always check the prices of what I buy. Prices change so often you can't just grab what you are used to buying.

I really don't care. My money is being spent and I'll determine what I'm going to buy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm noticing the same at my Walmart

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed the same at my WM. Also, the variety of brands for sale has gone down. For example there is the Great Value brand and maybe one or two other brands. Recently it was sugar. There was GV or Domino, that's it.

My grocery shopping takes my alot longer these days because of price comparing and couponing, but it's worth it.

I also look for clearance items. Today I scored 13 bags of shredded cheese for .91cents ea. because their date was up tomorrow. I put them all in the freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In Walmart, there might be several shelves with red tags on them for clearance. I check them out every so often.
    Currently they have canning items marked down to move.
    I got some sure jell this past week.

Try to check out other shelves / areas. In my opinion, the more pricey stuff is on the outside perimeters and main aisles.
    When I was trying to find the hubby some work pants, the first few pairs I bought, came from the outside aisle. By checking the other display, just in a bit, I found pants for him $ 4 cheaper a pair.
    And I have noticed sometimes that a price on the shelves does not match the register price.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast