how do you get cat and dog smell out?????? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would break the lease. If you have a pet it doesn't matter how much you clean they will smell it. If they had 6 cats and esp. if they weren't fixed they have spray marked everywhere. Short of ripping out drywall and floor boards??? The rent couldn't be cheap enough. Did he tell you about all the animals before you rented?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I would break the lease. If you have a pet it doesn't matter how much you clean they will smell it. If they had 6 cats and esp. if they weren't fixed they have spray marked everywhere. Short of ripping out drywall and floor boards??? The rent couldn't be cheap enough. Did he tell you about all the animals before you rented?
    Um... not necessarily a good idea. Breaking a lease leaves the tenant responsible for the full balance of the lease.

You may not realize this, but when you sign a lease, you are signing a contract to pay ALL the rent for the full time of the lease. If your rent is 1k and it's a year lease, that's $12,000.

If you simply break the lease in month 1, the landlord could then quite rightfully sue you for the remaining $11,000. And would win.

If the lease has been signed, you need to first discuss this matter with the landlord and give them an opportunity to make the situation right or to get them to release you from the lease.

If that fails, you need legal advice - and possibly will need to go to court to be released from the lease legally.

Do not act rashly - know the law in your area before you do anything.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it's a rental, the landlord needs to make that good, not you. The ammonia in the air and all is no good. Ash him or her to deal with it.
    Last edited by Missy; 11-18-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: ash him or her?? hows about ask
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

no there is not lease. so I guess i shoud not get it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by oct2667us View Post
    no there is not lease. so I guess i shoud not get it.
    Tell the landlord you like the place but you won't take it unless he takes care of the smell, and don't sign it until you've been able to go back and confirm it's been dealt with.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was going to suggest enzyme stuff, that's what I use. I buy a concentrate and add a lot of water to it for washing a floor, add it to the washing machine for fabric stuff. I have a wet/dry vac and would not hesitate to add it to that to wash my wall to wall carpet....

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it is a rental and you haven't signed the lease I would definately think twice about moving in. Especially since the landlord did not get rid of the smell to begin with. Who does the landlord expect to live in a urine smelling place?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you haven't made a decision yet. I hope you decide NO.. Sorry but the smell won't go away. No matter what you do it will come back , esp if it's cat pee

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
    If you haven't made a decision yet. I hope you decide NO.. Sorry but the smell won't go away. No matter what you do it will come back , esp if it's cat pee
    See that's just not so. You cover every surface in Kilz oil based primer and sealant, that smell is gonna be locked away forever.

And I stand behind that claim because one of our apartments had this problem, and that's exactly how we dealt with it. 2 coats of kilz - and several months into the renovations later, no smell of cat at all.

Greebo

Three

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a couple of towels that smelled like cat. No matter what I tried, I could not get rid of the smell. When they were dry they smelled like clean linens. Once you got them wet though - yuck!

If it's a rental, I don't think you should be responsible in the least bit for the smell. You pay good rent money for a home that habitable, you should not have to pay extra money on top of that to get rid of a smell. Even if something like Kilz would work, it is the landlord who should be taking care of that.

Is it just one area that stinks in particular? One room? Or the whole place? I'd be worried that there are places that have the smell, like in the cracks under baseboards and stuff, that you couldn't get to to clean if you wanted to. And if you have any kinds of allergies or breathing problems like asthma, I can imagine it would only be aggravated by the smell. I'd stay far far away if that's at all possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12