Food prices to rise in 2010.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Food prices to rise in 2010.

I recently did a little research on what food prices are expected to be for 2010. In an article from November, USDA forecast a 3-4 percent increase. A Bloomberg report said food prices may jump as much as 6 percent in 2010. So if you are on a fixed food budget like me, you will have to work a little harder in food purchasing and preparation to get your money's worth and still maintain a well-balanced diet.

I will be lowering my food budget by 25% in 2010. Like many others, hubby had 2 major pay-cuts this year, and there will be more money taken out of the pay when they remove the Bush tax cuts in Janurary. So food is just one budget item getting cut at our house in 2010.

Oil prices affect food prices and oil is not just rising, but leaping up, in the last 2 weeks, which generally means an increase in food costs due to higher production costs of fuel.

The reports indicated a "protein inflation", which means meat prices will rise, so it might be a good time to find some of those low-costing vegetarian recipes to incorporate into your menus, as well as using more low-meat recipes, like stir-fry. I try to keep to $2/pound or less for meat, or no more than $10/week for meat purchases (for 2 adults).

We have meatless Friday and our house, and often one other meatless day to cut the amount of high-priced meat used. Use smaller portions of meat in addition to meat substitutes so you still have a serving of protein, it's just divided between meat and non-meat protein foods (i.e. Tuscan Rosemary Chicken and White Beans). I make "fake meat" with vital wheat gluten and combine ground gluten with ground beef or bulk sausage to complete the amount of protein, but cut the cost considerably. I realize this low-cost meat substitute isn't for everyone, but as an example:

-4 cups raw gluten bakes into 9 cups ground gluten
    -9 cups ground gluten is equivalent to 3-pounds hamburger (cooked)
    -There are 288 grams protein in 3-pounds of hamburger and 286 grams of protein in the equivalent of "fake meat" made from vital wheat gluten.

Dairy is supposed to rise as much as 20 percent. Watch those servings sizes and number of servings your family uses. Don't forget to count the serving of milk your children get at school. Quench thirst with water, not milk. I just purchased a year's worth of Morning Moo's (a whey-based milk substitute that tastes like regular milk when reconstituted) to avoid rising milk prices.

Forewarned is forearmed.... Stockpiling may end up being a big blessing for 2010.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have read several articles on this it will become a challenge for every one I'm sure .I noticed the other day at the grocery store that 4 chicken legs were 5.49 I remember getting those 2 summers ago for .99 or cheaper.Hamburg is some times 1.39 -to 1.69 a pound not sure where this all headed will need to be extra penny wise in this area.
    We are cancer free but dealing with lung issues
    (Life is fragile handle with prayer)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I do some tracking thru various USDA reports of retail prices by month. JANUARY is a big riser. (They have to pay for all those cheap food prices they gave you for the holidays!)

Because of this, where I would almost certainly never stand in line at a big box store on Black Friday, we're off to go grocery bargain hunting this a.m.!

Judi
    Last edited by Judi Dial; 12-26-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. All the more reason to keep stockpiling.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/July
    $198.62

Coupons for Year / $745.54

July/ Grocery
    $154.95 /Goal $250.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/18

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/14

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you for the info. I will have to become a little more creative in keeping to my grocery budget.
    Steph

FY 2014
    7/25 books read this year
    10/20 no spend days for April

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

UUGGGHH!!! Not what I wanted to hear, but needed to hear. Will be keeping an eye out for more bargains. Glad I have the stockpile already started. Will be thinking of better ways to make vegetarian meals. One thing fun to do, find new recipes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pretty soon, we'll just have to stop eating. That'll make 'em lower the prices on food! Hah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the information! I need to get a better handle on my food budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So glad we grow/produce most of our own foods. . . . too bad we're a wheat free household, or I'd be asking for recipes for the meat substitutes. . . I do make an oatmeal "burger" that's pretty good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grainlady,

Thanks very much for the "heads-up." I especially liked your remark that "forewarned is forearmed."

I will keep your research in mind when I grocery shop later today!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Grainlady you are always so well informed! Thanks for sharing that with us! I will definitely be on the look out for the best deals I can get!

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well this is not good news considering my food budget will be shrinking in 2010, combine that with a rise in food prices and what's a girl to do? Goodness!

Thanks for the information, I will be very aware as I head out food shopping this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All the $$ we received for Christmas will go to growing our stockpile EVEN larger. I plan on hitting the grocery stores hard between now and the end of the year. I will be buying up all the bargains I can find, charging on my Discover card to get 5% cashback, and then going online and paying the bill in full immediately.

I don't ever find much at Save-A-Lot, but I have a $5 off $20 or more for Save-A-Lot. I will couple that with the 5% cashback from Discover.

Thanks so much to grainlady for the heads up on the savings from Honeyville grain. I bought a bunch of stuff from there to add to my stockpile. I just opened a can of wheat gluten this morning.

Since my stockpile is in such good shape (in spite of eating from it and not adding to it for the last 4 weeks or so), I will be able to pick and choose when I shop for groceries in 2010. We are going meatless one day a week and if it goes over well, we are going to move to 2 days a week. I will use as many coupons as possible, buy loss leaders, and items on sale. And there is the grocery salvage store also.

We will be installing a new central A/C and additional attic insulation in a couple of months. That will knock a BIG chunk off of our electricity bill in the summer months.

I locked into a low electricity rate several months ago for a period of 4 or 5 years (I can't remember which). It is almost 2 cents per kwh lower than the old rate. Between that, the more efficient A/C and additional insulation in the attic we should save over a thousand dollars this summer alone.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to know about the dairy increase. Better crowbar a little more cheese into the freezer. I rarely use milk, so that's no problem, but I feel for families who do.
    Donna

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the warning! I need to get moving on my stockpile. We don't use much milk but we eat alot of cheese and yogurts. I have three deer in the freezer and can probably get another one on Monday. That helps ALOT but I need to be watching for sales on hamburger and chicken for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast