Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you stress when people come over?

Tags
people stress
3K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  NikoSan999 
#1 ·
Morning,
Just curious if anybody else gets stressed when company comes over? Especially unexpected? I don't know what it is, and I hate it! I love my friends, but I just don't relax when they are here, almost am over-anxious. And when they are gone, all I want to do is sleep! lol Anybody else like that? I am assuming it's because my house is never in showroom order. I suffer from CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome). :smhelp::smhelp:

And more important, will I ever get over it??

Thanks,
vanessa

#4 ·
To the extreme, I guess. Anyone that knows me well knows that I want a few days' notice before any visiting. I am just not a good housekeeper; and with tendonitis/carpal tunnel problems fluctuating, I often choose other projects besides housework.

#6 ·
I enjoy having my place a certain way. But quite honestly keeping it that way doesn't always happen. Have come to realize that it is ok if things are not perfect.

I do enjoy entertaining, but I do stress myself out trying to plan to make sure I have everything covered. You know, enough clean dishes, utensils, napkins, glasses, etc. The only way I can lessen the stress level is to make as simple a menu as possible since I have to pretty much make everything from scratch due to food intolerances. Also making as much the day before helps out. The people I know are not really high maintenance, but I just can stress myself out thinking I need to do all those little extras. I watch to many of those shows on cooking and entertaining.

#7 ·
Because I'm self-employed in my home, people are here on a regular basis. I like to be ready for them, and have the house ready too & as far as my job is concerned, I do that. Stress is a part of life and dealing with people; work's work. When work is done and they leave, I am usually exhausted, and need a rest.

Nowadays, I find that relating to people at any time is more stressful than it used to be years ago. People seem to be more materialistic, pretentious, two-faced and difficult at times, and dealing with them is hard. Even the nice people can be hard to deal with, because you always have to maintain a high standard with them in order to please them, and that can be a drain; and they have annoying faults too. I find it particularly hard to deal with people who assume a lordly air over me, asking nosy questions, making busybody comments; I avoid them as much as I can.

Having said that, illness for the past 2 years has changed me so that I don't care as much about the house being in perfect order; I just apologize for the dust or the dishes at times, and let it go at that. When I have company, not work-related, I like to do a few special things, use special dishes, pamper them a little, just enjoy them, and relax and appreciate the time we have together. Spending time with the ones I love and like is still a wonderful blessing, even though I have to exert myself a little to be hospitable.

#15 ·
Incognito---your middle paragraph here, especially, rings true with me. It has made me more of a homebody, a loner, in some ways. The only people I trust and do things with are mainly my siblings and family, and sometimes DH's.

People often make me uncomfortable, in some way or other. Especially in my own home. I feel as though I'm being judged for cleanliness, decor, my lifestyle in general. Mainly because our society is so 'thing' oriented. I feel some people feel we live too rich, and some feel we live too poor.

I just don't care about such things. As I'm getting older, I am less of a worrier about it. It's a monkey I just want off my back.

#8 ·
Yep, me to. And it's not likely to end to be honest. The house is usually a mess. I'm normally at work with hubby ( until I find a job myself ) 6 days a week so that dosen't leave much time. All I do is pretty much sit there and answer phones, computer work but by the time I get home I'm drained. Probably from sitting.
My upper body is also held together with cortisone shots. Both shoulders, one twice, both hands, one wrist and one elbow. My hips need it but not going there. On bad days it can take me 4 or 5 minutes to get out of a chair. Another 4 or 5 to walk to the kitchen. Orthopedice surgeon said after many ex-rays that it is extreme bursitis and won't get any better and is spreading down my entire right side from shoulder to ankle. The left side is starting also.
So I do what I can when I can and that's it. Luckily people don't "drop" over and we hardly ever have company. We're normally invited over to our friends which works for me.

Reactions: nessarowdy
#9 ·
I love company and never get stressed out over company. I figure they are coming to see me, not my house and if they are coming to see my house, well then they need to leave.

#11 ·
Do I stress when company comes over? YES!! Like Nessarowdy said,I love my friends an family and don,t mind most of them visiting but with me it is more about having strangers or people I don't know very well here. I always feel like they are looking around and judging my house and what I have in it. It makes me very uncomfortable. It all goes back to my inferiority complex. I have been like that all my life. I don't feel like I am asgood as other people. It is something I am working very hard on. I know a lot of it is from growing up poor and having very little. I was looked down on by most of the kids in school so I tried to be the best student in the class and succeded most of the time. I could have gone on and made something out ofmy life but I got pregnant at 15&1/2 and had to get married. That wes in 1962, 3 kids later and the rest is history. I still haven't forgiven myself.

#13 ·
Forgive yourself, and live!
You should see my place. I live in "the projects" in Canada; I have no living room furniture, just a few things for my music studio, my floors are bare tile with cracks and burns all over them (I didn't do it). Not too many modern conveniences, just the basics, and stuff is always needing repairs. But the people that come here are the kids and adults of the community, including the business people, educators, local bureaucrats & professionals from the lowest to the highest. They all take off their shoes on my worn-out doormat and sit on my worn-out chairs. I make a bare, meager living, and have nothing for extras.
But it's my life! :candle:

#12 ·
It depends on the company and how well I know them. The girl that I do Girl Scouts with is no trouble at all. We have both seen each others houses in varying states of clean and clutter so I don't stress over her coming by. If it's someone stopping by for the first time or a larger gathering, I'll run around the day before cleaning and at least moving clutter out of sight. Since we have a two story house, i can move things upstairs if I don't have a good place for it to go. The upstairs is bedrooms so there is no reason for 99% of guests to go up there.
I have never been able to keep the house company ready, just took too much energy. But the kids are older and are doing more chores so I'm hoping to be able to keep it closer to company ready.

#16 ·
Thanks,Incognito, that is what I am working on. Slowly I am learning that my mistakes are in the past and over and done with. I am still married to the same man for 47 yrs,we raised 3 great kids.my 2 girls are both RN's and my son is a succesful mechanic.We have 7 grandkids and a great-granddaughter. Our house is paid for ad we have some money in the bank.We don't have the best of everything but we havemost everything we need. I do have something I ma proud to have done. I quit school to get married and was a stay at home mom while my kids were growing up . When I was 37 I went to Adult Education and got my GED. I got a really good score on it and was hired to be a teacher's aid. I worked there for 10 years,thenmoved closer to my kids so they could help with my husband. Woked fast food from 1994 to 2009 when I retired. I work as hard as I could at my job,showed up every day and earned my paychecks. I guess I wasn't a complete failure after all and I am going to try to be a lot easier on myself and maybe even love love myself a little!

#17 ·
I only stress if its my grandmother coming over. Silly I know because she wouldn't care if the house was a mess and certainly would never say anything negative. That being said, the week before my grandma comes for a visit, EVERYTHING gets cleaned.

#18 · (Edited)
Yes I stress when people come over but if you don't give any notice you can't expect anything....and really you shouldn't expect anything from my house. Its somewhat cluttered - yes, dirty and unsanitary no. I have my living room presentable (for me) but no means is it pristine like a magazine photo shoot and never will be. Those pics are beautiful but unrealistic. I prefer the 'lived in' look which is easier to maintain. Bathroom was purged and set up to be minimalistic therefore it stays clean 24/7. As I said, everywhere else has the 'lived in' look.

Close friends/family know the 'lived in' look and we're ok with them coming over but distant family coming to stay/visit - we need to clean up to the social norm.

#19 ·
I don't mind it. I prefer to have notice, but we have unexpected company quite often, and I have learned to deal with it. I prefer to have company come here, rather than visit. I am a neat nic, and home and kitchen cleanliness is very important to me. I rest easier in my own home.

#21 ·
No, I don't stress.
I do like a heads up though. Even a half hour will do.

We don't get a lot of company. Our kids stop in. During deer season, hubby has several friends that come up often. As long as I have the coffee pot on, it's all good. The one fellow will eat lunch with us once or twice during the season on a saturday, because he has so far to travel to get here. When season is over, then we don't see them again for another year :)

#22 ·
It use to bother me but was able to get over it after almost looseing my dh 3 times. If people come to look at my house they don't need to come...and if they want to tell everyone that there was dirty dishes in the sink and dust bunnys under the bed so be it...I spend my time for me anymore..If I am not here tomarrow it won't matter anyway so i live for the day...My house is clean enough to be safe and dirty enough to be comfortable. If that isn't good enough well tuff...It is my house not there's.

#23 ·
I love it if my friends come to visit! I think they know me well enough to know that you can't expect to sit on the sofa without leaving covered in dog hair..... and it probably smells like cat..... but oh well. I love my friends, and I should hope they love me enough to overlook the things that don't really matter.

My parents never visit because of the pet population.

oh well.

I have the boys birthday parties at home, we host the family Easter shin-dig, as well as Halloween! This was the first year I wondered about the pet smells since little j had new classmates (with parents) that came over. I guess if they never come back, that will answer my question!

On the other hand, there are some people that totally STRESS me out, but not because I worry about the house, or what they think, but because THEY stress me out.... I dread when they visit.....

#24 ·
oh, one thing I think is funny now - we don't have a television in the living room - so you are forced to talk to each other.... it's obvious that it weirds some people out..... :toothy:

#26 ·
I love having company! We are blessed to have a small circle of friends that we love. We have an open door policy. You are always welcome to come and stay. Take off your shoes and make yourself at home. We will have a group of 20+ people in our small home and it always works. We have become the hang out :D

#27 ·
No, I don't get stressed. Our home is very different. :D. I swear it is the only drop-in center in town! My day (EVERYDAY) starts with three of DH's friends that come over around 10 for morning coffee. That is everyday....even in a blizzard! Then we have had anywhere from 1 - 38 people here on and off everyday. I am use to it. It doesn't bother me anymore. If the crowd gets too large, then DH moves the crowd to the garage. I don't stress about my house being perfect anymore. I figure they wouldn't come if they didn't think it was passable.

That's my life gang, in a nutshell. :sigh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.