Almond Milk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almond Milk

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Almond Milk

Anyone tried this? I had read quite a few articles stating this was the new 'in' thing and how beneficial it is to your health blah blah blah. While I was walking through the grocery store...I stumbled up on this product - at eye level no less - and it was a 'featured item' on sale at $1.99/carton. Figuring it was only $2 why not try it...I had to hunt for the unsweetened non flavoured type being diabetic.

I have chilled it and just tasted it for the first time and WOW it is VERY different then what I thought it would taste like. I don't think I like it very much and had to add some Splenda to my glass. Now that I've gone to their website, I see they offered flavoured but unsweetend type but I'm not sure if I should spend another $1.99 to find out I don't like it again....anyone here tried this? Blue Diamond Almond Milk

Funny thing though - I love eating raw almonds...isn't that ironic?

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almond milk rocks, although I always buy rice milk because Almond milk can be more expensive.

I eat it with cereal. I just buy the regular and not the vanilla unless I just want to drink it straight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't heard of Rice Milk, I will have to check it out. I'm looking for an alternative to milk that isn't soy.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Never heard of rice milk either. I'm used to soybean drink - traditional Chinese and then the soy products etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use almond milk because it's practically the only type I am allowed with my food intolerances. It can be pricey but for me not getting sick is worth it plus I don't use a lot. It does take some time to get used to it but I can be good in baking and in cereal. You can also make your own at home which can help with the cost if you can get almonds cheaper.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This brand is my favorite.

http://www.tastethedream.com/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've made almond milk, as well as rice milk, oatmeal milk, and other nut and seed milks for eons - at least 3 decades - for a fraction of the price of the store-bought - once again, "fresh is best". So just like I've seen bell-bottoms the "in" thing at least 5 different times in my 57-years, so have non-dairy milks been "in" - they just aren't "new".

I'd suggest a great book - Not Milk...NUT MILKS! by Candia Lea Cole.

Nut and seed milks are are surprisingly a good source of calcium. A one-two punch of almond milk with chia seeds is a great source of calcium. In chia seeds alone, there is about 600-milligrams of calcium in 100-grams, contrasted with 120-milligrams in 100-grams of milk - so 5-times as much. You can also add seeds like sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and chia seeds, which are all rich in essential fatty acids and a wide variety of other nutrients.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i used to drink rice milk regularly but when i figured out the calories i was consuming without all the health benefits that soy gives i switched mainly to soy...

rice milk is the 'plainest' flavor of all of them...(closest to skim milk)....
    plain soy can be downright 'nasty' straight so i always get vanilla.... (plain is ok in cereal or cooking coz you can't really taste it then)....
    almond has its own taste altogether.... to me it's the 'heaviest tasting' of all the milk alternatives...

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    This brand is my favorite.

http://www.tastethedream.com/
    Thank you for the link, looks like they have it at one of my stores so I'll have to check it out! My daughter didn't like the lactose free milk but maybe she will like this. I'm pretty sure she will go for the ice cream varieties at the very least, ha!
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never tried, Almond,rice or soy milks!! I might try one of them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Thank you for the link, looks like they have it at one of my stores so I'll have to check it out! My daughter didn't like the lactose free milk but maybe she will like this. I'm pretty sure she will go for the ice cream varieties at the very least, ha!
    Haha, about the ice cream. I've seen Dream at Walmart super center for 1.99 and that is a very good price. The store by my house has it for 3.99. *gulp*

ETA, also if you have a health food store near you it will be cheaper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not sure how old Almond milk is, but I have a book that was writtin in the mid 1800's that speaks of having it on Friday, when Catholics wern't allowed to have regular milk.

I have not tried it although I am lactose intolerate. For years I drank Vanilla Silk or goats milk. Recently I switched to Lactose Free milk (Cat likes it best). I prefer the lactose free milk to Silk and Silk to other soy milks.

I like Rice Milk too, (not rice drink). I think its best used to make oatmeal, you should try it if you haven't already.

I have made coconut milk before and liked it, just was a lot of work.

I have read some reviews to the soy, rice and Coconut Ice Cream alternates online and none seem to get good reviews.

I have seen the Almond milk and will give it a try.

THANKS!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thank u for the link. My son is on rice milk now. Its not cheap but he likes it and it helps his stomach. Thanks for the almond link, i know we have it I seen it at Sobeys.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My question is this:

is it good for non-dairy diets?

We use soy milk with DS11 and DS6 drinks it occassionally. We've seen rice milk, but never gave it a shot. If I find it around here, I'm gonna buy a carton and give it to DS11 to see what he thinks if it's ok for his dairy-restrictive diet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    My question is this:

is it good for non-dairy diets?

We use soy milk with DS11 and DS6 drinks it occassionally. We've seen rice milk, but never gave it a shot. If I find it around here, I'm gonna buy a carton and give it to DS11 to see what he thinks if it's ok for his dairy-restrictive diet.
    Yes! For anyone who is lactose intolerant or not.

I like it better than Soy(although I use soy and I bake with it) You just can't go wrong. It's better than consuming some steroids or hormones and breast milk from a cow. No I didn't just type that. heh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast