do you have nightmares or nightterrors??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default do you have nightmares or nightterrors??

I have both, at least 5 times a week and actually closer to 7 nights a week. for a while i wouldn't sleep because i knew i would be having them, but then figured out that it didn't matter how late i stayed up i was going to have them anyway.
    So do you have nightmare or nightterrors or both, if so how do you handle them? how often do you have them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Several times I have had a dream about being in a big, old, scarey house. Those dreams really give me the sweats! I don't have them very often though. Thank Goodness.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I was working 60-75 hrs/wk I had night terrors. They were definitely stress induced. I would literally jolt out of bed thinking I was dying or close to pending doom. (usually from ::thinking:: I was falling asleep at the wheel)
    Heaven, I am sorry you have them so often.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Sara, I have been having them so long, that now it is normal. yes the sitting up in bed with your heart pounding, i have those nights all the time. it does get scary until you finally realize your sleeping. i would love a night with none that would be wonderful.

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nightmares happen most often with me when I am stressed. They tend to have a theme too, for years when I was really stressed I would have nightmares about living in a place with sand floors, lizards and parrots everywhere, with a really strange old man speaking in a language I didn't understand. Weird, I was always terrified of this place.

central BC, the westernmost province of Canada
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont' get nightmares very often, but dd gets night terrors and those are way worse than anything I've ever experianced.

She can be dreaming and looking wide awake, interacting with me and her dad and still in the dream. AWFUL!!!

Fortunately they don't happen very often for her. I wish I knew something that helps.

If I'm aware she is having one, I wake her up by turning the lights on, getting her up, making her drink a hot cup of tea, turning music on and generally making it as daytimey normal as possible.

Once she is really awake and no longer in the dream, I talk it over with her and bring her back to normal life so to speak.

Then even though she is a grownup I will tuck her in my bed beside me and dh till she stops shaking and kind of warms up and relaxes.

She has had these awful terrors since about age 4 I think, but they really got bad during a stressfilled year at age 8 and have tapered off after that year but she still gets them once in a while.

I do think they are stress related. and maybe genetic to a degree.

Dh used to be a sleep walker but he seems to have stopped that about 22 years ago with only a few since. He also could carry on whole conversations that seem lucid with eyes wide open, still dreaming.

The only clue it's a dream is that he'll miss a detail and nothing makes sense but that is a few sentences into the conversation. Usually he was convinced the house was on fire and he had to get us all out, seeing flames and everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband has them.

Moreso when he is stressed. I automatically wake up when he starts moving, maybe moaning....and i pat him till he tells me he is ok.

My older son is so unique. He would start to have nightmares, realize what it was then turn against the monster or villian by reentering the dream.

He can even go back to a dream and finish it any way he wants to.

My little guy...was so excited I was painted castle walls for his room and a huge archway that looked like stairs going around the corner.....I had to read him Bible verses and have him rub the wall a few nights before he could be comfortable in the castle he desperately wanted my to paint.

When I am really tired, I can carry on conversations and go right back to sleep....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also talk in my sleep and have been known to carry on conversations. I also have nightmares quite often and yes they are stress related usually. Probably why I don't go to sleep at night until I'm too exhausted not to. I never thought about it before, but it makes sense.