Frugal Village Forums banner

What was your best purchase for 2010?

Tags
2010 purchase
3K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  telephus 
#1 ·
What do you feel was your best purchases of 2010?

Why? was it because it was a great deal? was it because of how it made you feel? was it because of what it did? Why were they your best purchases?

Reactions: thesightofoneself
#2 ·
I have three purchases that I think were the best of 2010.

1)our new mattress because it is great sleeping well and not aching when you get up. It was good deal too as we stumbled into a sale and were able to get a better quality mattress for the amount we had to spend

2)the new sofa and love set because they match the living room and the dog just perfectly LOL because they are so comfortable but most importantly because they brought the family into the same room as everyone now has a comfortable seat. I also didn't know how nice it was going to be being able to have hubby and the children/teenagers cuddle up/lean next to you. Oh and it was a good deal too as it was 60% off didn't pay cash as it was more than we had planned but it was to perfect to pass up We did received 0% interest of a year ( have a plan on how to pay it off so there is no interest)

3) changed our cell phone plan/and house phone plan around and added a phone for our teenager and added texting. I say this was a good purchase because it saves us money each month and we can be in better touch. I love texting Hubby I feel so connected. I feel safer with the teenager having a phone as plans change and he can contact us to come pick him up easier without having to track down a phone.

Those are my three best purchases of 2010

Oh just thought of one that makes me smile. I smile ever time I walk by Little Miss's room or tuck her into her hand me down bed with her quilt from the Goodwill It fits her personality and matches her room and she needed a blanket. It was a good deal at around $1.50 I had a coupon for the goodwill.

Reactions: Sassyclass
#27 ·
I have three purchases that I think were the best of 2010.

1)our new mattress because it is great sleeping well and not aching when you get up. It was good deal too as we stumbled into a sale and were able to get a better quality mattress for the amount we had to spend
That is an excellent investment - more and more studies are coming out showing how important a good night's sleep is - it impacts how long you live, your health, your cognitive abilities. Yay for you!

#3 ·
My best purchase this year was my son's education. He is in his first year at LU and is loving it! It is a purchase that will payback tenfold. :)

#4 ·
Our refrigerator.

It was on clearance, the store also marked it wrong, making it less than what it was supposed to be and because of their mistake, we got another 10% off. We did not ask for the additional 10%, nor did we notice it was priced wrong. The salesperson and manager noticed it. We only selected the fridge after reviewing it online and following consumer reports, etc. Soooo, in the end we got the new refrigerator for less than half of it's original price. :D

Needless to say, because of their upfront honesty and great customer service, we'll be shopping that store again.

#28 ·
I'd have to say the 70 feet of cedar fence I bought back in the spring.It wasn't cheap but I shopped around and got a good price. That fence did a few things.It allowed my son to play safely in our yard and it made me feel very empowered as a woman and as a home owner. weird I know but it did.
Not weird at all! A great purchase related to safety and allowing you to have less stress - that's always a great investment.

Reactions: mamamia
#6 ·
The new living room furniture. It was not cheap at all but since my dh is so tall I wanted to get a sofa big enough for him so he could watch tv in the living room with us and not have his knees or back hurt. Also, just to keep him out of the bedroom watching tv and being with us is a big deal. We have so little real time with him during the week.

We were able to get it @ 0 interest and will have it paid off well before interest would tack on in October so it was "free" terms.

Besides I like having my own loveseat lol and it is well made and beautiful!

#7 ·
the home repairs/repainting/architectural details over the summer, priceless. brought me out of dreary mood and into 2010.
i know i went into debt, but worth it.

this chair (impulse item) from ethan allen View attachment 16432

friendly village china, which i already owned, got put back into service.

this eldred wheeler tiger maple chest of drawers from the salvation army View attachment 16433

"monticello yellow" painted great room View attachment 16434

this ethan allen chair $20 from the salvation army View attachment 16435

my pink bedroom freshly re-painted View attachment 16436

Reactions: imagine
#29 ·
the home repairs/repainting/architectural details over the summer, priceless. brought me out of dreary mood and into 2010.
i know i went into debt, but worth it.
Agreed - updating your home can make a huge difference in how you feel on a day-to-day basis. A coat of paint, a few new items and voila! I had new solid wood doors installed to replace the 1960s hollow core doors and it made a world of difference in how my house looks. I put a new chandelier in the dining room to replace the 1970s one and it looks fantastic - every time I see it I smile.

#8 ·
We got a new dishwasher to replace our sad 12 year old one and it's QUIET. I have to ask if its started. Peace and quiet

2 new tvs. I rid of the 2 15 year old megaliths.No more orange people. The one we got for our anniversary is so thin. Love it!!

This year will be another replacement year as we are now debt free. Good bye tired water heater.

#30 ·
We got a new dishwasher to replace our sad 12 year old one and it's QUIET. I have to ask if its started. Peace and quiet

2 new tvs. I rid of the 2 15 year old megaliths.No more orange people.
Wow - what brand did you buy? I got a slightly used one for cheap on craigslist. It serves its purpose and is slightly quieter than my last one - but I still wouldn't call it quiet! LOL

What brand TVs? I have a 13 year old that may have a few more years in it, but you never know.

#9 ·
I think the best deals were the end of season clearance sales at Ann Taylor Loft. I purchased a pair of jeans and a pair of cordoroy pants for a total of $5.00. Not each but all together. I am hoping there will be another sale like this that I can stock up on more pants for the coming year.

Other than that I really did not do any major spending on anything specific this year. Although I did get a nice shoe wardrobe.

#10 · (Edited)
~The baby's crib. Our cherry sleigh style drop-side crib was recalled. So I sent in the hardware and forms and got a voucher for a free crib. I chose a white convertible style this time. We paid $4 OOP for tax. It's a nice looking crib and the baby loves it. My older two never liked that sleigh crib like #3 likes hers. Very happy with that $4 purchase!~

#11 · (Edited)
a gamecube. i've wanted it for forever

i got donkey kong!
i need a memory card though, i beat the first level but couldnt save it, which sucks.

#12 ·
I bought dh a heated mattress pad for Christmas. We are both loving it. I've been really sick with both the flu and a stomach virus since before Christmas. I was hurting so bad the other night and I crawled in the warm preheated bed and lay on my stomach. The heat from the mattress pad was so soothing on my hurting sore stomach. It helped me to finally go to sleep. Also since our bedroom is in the basement...split/foyer home...its always cold down there and it feels good crawling into a warm bed.

#13 ·
Our new to us 2005 GMC Yukon. We had to replace our 4x4 truck and we found this and fell head over heels in love with it. It's safety, luxury, and convenience all rolled into one vehicle. It's not bad on gas for a big SUV either. We average around 19 miles a gallon. We like it so much DH has declared we will never be without one.

Cat

#14 ·
My favorites this year...

1. A desk and side cabinet I found at goodwill for $11 total just recently. I'm excited about it because I get to give it a makeover. It's in perfect shape already, just a very ugly color. And I was looking for a sewing table/craft table and they don't make desks like this anymore! I adore it, and for that price! OMG! It was a perfect find!

2. My camera and lenses. I've wanted a nice digital camera for a very long time. I'm so thankful I was given the chance to buy one early this year.

#16 ·
My first slow cooker, I mentioned it in another thread. Bought at discount at amazon.com through ebates.com. I won't say I love it but I do have a crush on it.

I splurged on scented jar candles before Christmas. They're 18 - 20 oz and retail for $9.99. Several drugstores near me offered them at B1G2F. I couldn't resist and stocked up. They are a luxury to me. I'm going to save the jars and tops.

I discovered that WalMart takes coupons and used several for necessities. I also discovered that they have their Equate version of Excedrin coated tablets.

I upgraded my ISP from Earthlink dialup to Verizon FIOS with telephone for a few dollars more. FIOS rocks!

I bought a new-with-tags pair of overalls on ebay and turned them into denim aprons.

#33 ·
My first slow cooker, I mentioned it in another thread. Bought at discount at amazon.com through ebates.com. I won't say I love it but I do have a crush on it.
Yes, I love my new, larger slow cooker too - I didn't buy it - got it as a Xmas present, but very excited to have a nicer one.

#17 ·
My 2006 Harley Davidson Low Rider! I paid cash for it. I love it. Riding it makes me happy. I also save TONS of money on gas. Hubby and I ride our Harleys on weekends together. I also use mine to take my packages/orders to the post office and FedEx.

I am getting ready to sell my truck. We have two Harleys and two trucks. We don't need all four. I can use the proceeds to pay down hubby's Harley and save money on license, registration, insurance, and vehicle maintenance.

#20 ·
can you post sepearately about the roomba, model , make? i want to buy one. thanks.

Reactions: HappyMama
#21 ·
We don't purchase much besides food...
Best non-purchase (but my tax $$ does go towards) are all the books I read last year from the library. I went on so many wonderful adventures.

#22 ·
I have three, new Dyson vaccum that I found on ebay for $317 shipping included.I searched everywhere for the best price and finally found it there.A microwave convection oven that I paid $89 for new from the nerds website.A new HP Officejet All-in-One, paid I think $86 from buy.com.

#24 ·
My best purchase's for 2010 is definately my 8 by 12 Greenhouse...My Peach & Plum trees plus several berry bushes that will provide fresh fruit for my famly for many years to come..

My Chicken's that I love like my own kid's whom give us a nourishing present everyday..

The treadmill that will hopefully help me lose the extra weight..

#25 ·
Roku (to watch streaming video from Netflix--gave up cable TV--yay!!!!) and a toaster oven. I never used or owned a toaster oven before, but I thought it was a good idea for times when we really don't need to heat the oven. I love it! We've been using it a lot.

#31 · (Edited)
~The baby's crib. Our cherry sleigh style drop-side crib was recalled. So I sent in the hardware and forms and got a voucher for a free crib. I chose a white convertible style this time. We paid $4 OOP for tax. It's a nice looking crib and the baby loves it. My older two never liked that sleigh crib like Fairfax likes hers. Very happy with that $4 purchase!~
Excellent investment - safety for the baby. Drop side cribs are going out of production.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.