Frugal Village Forums banner

Help out with hygiene items please! :)

Tags
hygiene items
1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  rskmom 
#1 ·
I just wanted to post about a chairty I run. (dont worry I am not asking for anything lol) Since March of 2009 I have run a charity at my church and we give away hygiene and cleaning supplies to those in need. We give away toothpaste, soap, laundry soap, trash bags, toilet paper,ect. We give away no food. (Except in the new year a goal of mine is to add pet supplies and pet food) But we give away things that food stamps dont. Do you know that you can buy steak on food stamps but not a pack of toilet paper? There are no government programs for things like this and there arent very many "hygiene pantries" around.
However, most of the time food pantries would LOVE to have hygiene items for thier clients! No one ever thinks of it, they only donate can food. Our most popular items are trash bags, toilet paper, and laundry soap. All can be bought for $1 at Dollar Tree.
So please, if one of your new years resolutions is to help the needy please consider thier hygiene needs as well. Also, all those free samples that you get in the mail would be a perfect option/size for a homeless shelter,because they can pass them out to those needing a shower.
Thank you for your time :) Happy New Year!

#5 ·
Thanks for the great reminder. I will be keeping this in mind for sure.

Reactions: Heather Groce
#7 ·
Thanks.........a good reminder.

Another problem..........anyone living in a nursing home.......and on even a % of medicaid only gets X number of diapers/liners/depends per month...........if they need more.........tough! So.......I know they are expensive but if you see any (thrift shops/etc) and can afford to...........nursing homes can always use them.

#11 ·
Exactly. We had such a time getting diapers and pads for my fil who had Parkinsons. We cared for him in his home for 2 1/2 years. He got no help at all with things like that and we had to either buy them ourselves or on occasion someone would donate extra that they got. We had 2 people donate what was left of their deceased parents to us which was a huge help. At $12.00 a pkg for pullups it adds up quickly.

....so if you have a parent or grandparent that gets medicaid and gets more than they can use each month OR a loved one has passed away and you have diapers, pullups, pads and things along those lines please donate them to others. If you don't know anyone personally that can use them ask around or donate them to pantries or other organizations that can find a home for them. If you know a aide that stays with the elderly then I'm sure they can find someone that can use them.

#10 ·
Over the Christmas break...there are plenty of food drives, toy drives etc. They're always stating that they need items for teens and usually you'll see the bins overflowing with stuffed animals. At a bank I noticed someone putting a huge bag of condoms, maxi pads and tampons into the collection bin along with the travel sized toiletry kits and Christmas packaged Axe/Nivea/make up gift sets.

One of the ladies in line was appalled (very loudly too) b/c it wasn't a cute cuddly teddy bear. Really - what is an older teen going to do with another teddy bear?! I responded to that lady the woman was doing the right thing and what she was choosing to donate was no better then baby formula/diapers nor a stuffed animal. Its still a donation of something and will be used and very welcomed. Not all teens are created equal nor have chosen the life of abstinence. The organizers may choose to exclude some of the donated items but that goes w/o saying for all types of 'drives'. You put a call out there and you get what you get.

A lot of people don't think of toiletries for a food drive but consider diapers and baby food. I think the personal hygiene items are a great idea for donations.

erinalexmom good on yas for bringing this topic to light :)

#13 ·
Wow! Thank you all for the replies! I love that it brought this issue to light :) I try to educate people to the need any chance I get because I think people want to help and that there are alot of good people in the world but they arent always sure what to do. This is just a small way to improve someone's life. You have to think that if someone wanted to go to a job interview how could they if they smell bad or cant shave or wash thier clothes? Thank you for bringing up the womens hygiene and the older adult needs because they are important also. (we do have those things also)
My next goal (besides the pet supplies) is to buy the energy saver light bulbs (this will save them $ in so many ways) and rechargable batteries. I am looking into ways to "teach a man to fish" now. Meaning more long term solutions....

#14 ·
Thanks for the information..

Here when a family member passes everyone gets food to the family but no one thinks of paper goods..I have been doing that for the past year. It really makes a difference...It was done for me at the passing of my DH and even in that time it made a big difference to me and my family. So I have tryed to carry it on..It isn't much but it makes a difference.

#16 ·
I worked with a refugee group for a while, and they had this problem too.

When I travelled a bit, I'd keep the bar of hotel soap I used during my stay and always grab one more (I was usually there 3 days) and give the group the extra soap and maybe the hotel shampoo too, as I frequently took my own. I didn't take all the hotel HBA products, but the things that I would normally have used, and it helped the refugees quite a bit. Also, like others, although I have no small children, when I find a bargain on diapers, I buy and donate them.

Judi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.