Frugal Village Forums banner

Being Generous

Tags
generous
926 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  imagine 
#1 ·
Hubby and I believe in giving and being generous. Our generosity is usually a percentage of what we make, and not set dollar amounts. And we try to be responsible givers: making sure that our gifts get the most mileage possible, and that the recipients are ethical organizations or truly people in need and not frauds. Yet there are times when we simply are compelled to share and give, and may not know much about the results.

Both of us came to separate conclusions recently that we need to be giving more. Now the questions are: to whom do we give? How much do we give? How do we give (time? money? skill or talent?)? So we are now searching for how we should do this.

Question: My hunch is that lots of you on FV are generous people. How do you determine your giving? Do you have personal guidelines for giving?

#2 ·
Time, talent and treasure is what my church suggests. Time is normally one on one helping somebody with a skill I have that they don't (taxes, etc.). Talent is normally using my crochet and couponing skills to help provide for others. Treasure is pretty easy to understand! Monetary donations. Different for everyone, but this is what I'm up to these days.

#3 ·
I try to give as much as possible without it hurting me financially. I am on disability so realistically I can not give much financially. I do volunteer my time, give personal care products or food products to people who I know will make sure someone who needs it gets it, I will also donate a ceramic piece to a charity/organization to use in their fundraiser auctions, knit scarves for food pantry.

I really can't give financially however I think the way I give right now feels good and is the right thing for me right now. I really do not think giving financially where I am in a bind on such a limited income will benefit anyone.

One suggestion for you is to volunteer your time as a tutor/mentor for youth or adults who cannot read.

#4 ·
I used to volunteer a lot. Not as much anymore as I am trying to sort out my mental health. I can't give money as I am on disability so I don't have any extra. I have given art to charity auctions. ( I am an artist, well I was)
I volunteered doing filing for the local sexual assault centre. I have volunteered with girl guides. For me I believe in any giving that I have done in the past or will do in the future benefits my community. I know that other places overseas need help as well, but I also know the need of those that live in my community. I think IMO only that taking care of your community should be the first thought when giving.

#5 ·
I believe strongly in giving too.

I often feel that despite my huge debt and personal insolvency, that I have ben so greatly blessed. Despite more than a year without work and some very poor business decisions, we have never done without necessities. Just as things got to the point where I was wondering where the milk was going to come from, it just happened.

Because we have spent the last year as a "family in need" I especially try to help people in that situation. God took care of us and I think that it's our duty to act for Him by helping others in need.

We donate weekly to the food pantry - sometimes only a package of pasta and a can of sauce - about $2 - but I know it will provide a meal for somebody.

We give our time by organizing donations and drives for different local causes.

We donate handmade jewelry to the women's shelter - everyone deserves something pretty.

Once the bankruptcy goes through and we have a little bit extra we plan to ramp up the financial giving. Although I am unable to take care of my debts, I want to be thankful by sharing our improved fortunes with others. I'm not sure if that makes sense or not but I guess it is also a way to atone for the bad debt.

#6 ·
I am on Social Security and we all know that's not much, but I knit and crochet items for our local chapter of the Red Cross and they send my handmade items all over the world and that's my take on it !!

#8 ·
We donate time by volunteering [ deliver Meals on Wheels to shut-ins ,help out at our local senior citizen center,etc ]
My talent is sewing. At home, I make and donate quilts for Project Linus. I also belong to a quilting group at my church. We make quilts for Lutheran World Relief which are sent overseas to needy countries.
As for treasures, we give to our local food pantry, women's shelter, and Salvation Army. We also give any used household items, books, clothes, etc. to GoodWill or a thrift store.
I really feel that it is important to share whatever we have , and I know there are many people worse off than we are.

#9 ·
Time, Talent, Treasure! Love that!

Time- There's not a lot of areas in our church where I physically serve. I help cook & serve for funerals. That's an all day thing. I serve for our churches light the night party at our areas local low income housing.

My husband serves as a Ranger commander, a trustee, Angel food, church clean up day, hanging banners, setting up for events.

Talents- I cook and take food to people who are sick.

My husband fixes and builds things for the church, and others. He sings in the choir.

Treasure- I personally give to the SPCA. Together we donate to several charities, missions.

My goal is to serve by participating in a therapy dog program. After losing our Suki Girl I realized just how sad it would be to never be able to pet a dog again, so many in hospice, hospitals, mental institutions, live that reality.

After natural disasters/ man made disasters, therapy dog teams are often used to help the victims AND rescue personal cope with the horror.

Cancer centers, children's hospitals, special needs schools, women's shelters, are also places that therapy teams visit.

I'm praying for a suitable dog to join our family someday soon. Right now I am researching training methods for our pup. :)

Other then that, we share whatever we have with whoever who needs it. Sometimes it's just a place at our supper table, but it's what they need most. Personal guidelines is really just our gut, if it feels wrong, we don't do it. (after prayer) But, if I'm approached and asked for a handout, the answer is ALWAYS yes. How much I give, I follow the Lord's leading on that.

#11 ·
Before anything else comes out of DH's pay, a donation to the United Way comes out every pay period.

Both of our kids volunteer at the history museum. DD has logged over 500 hours in three summers. DS just started this year.

We make monetary and item donations to the Salvation Army and Goodwill.

DD's best friend has a less than stellar mom who "forgets" to feed her, doesn't pay the gas bill and won't even think about getting the refrigerator fixed. I send her a lunch to school everyday. Also, we buy her non-perishable food items to hide in her bedroom so she can make some soup, ravioli or have some cookies when she is hungry. When she is running low on her stash, she lets me know. If she has not had dinner (her mom never, and I mean never is home before midnight so she never gets a good dinner)and wants a hot meal, she calls and I send over a plate for her. On really cold nights, I bring her and her dog here to spend the night. The times her mom doesn't buy dog food, I take care of that, too. These days she and her dog are our number one priority.

#12 ·
what you are doing is so wonderful neeley! You are not only providing this young womans physical needs but you are also showig her she is loved and you are providing an example of a better life she can have if she works hard and tries to live up to her potential :) When I was a teen my mother was a good mom but going through a rough divorce and my grandmother (her mother) was dying of cancer. So my youth pastor and his wife taught me alot during that time and sort of "adopted" me. I learned what a good marriage looks like and I got so much emotional support and spiritual guidance (church) and love that my mother couldnt give me at the time. I still to this day think of that family often. I could never thank them enough and feel that they are partially responsible for who I am today.One day I was standing by the dad of the family about a year ago and somone came up to talk to him and said "is this your daughter?" the dad said 'she might as well be" It warmed my heart that he still felt that way considering I hadnt been in youth group in 15 years

#13 ·
I KNEW I could find inspiration from you all!

#14 ·
Since I personally don't make any money (Or rarely do) as a Stay at home mom. I find other ways and things to give.

Of course, time and talent.

but in loo of cash I choose to give away things we are finished with instead of selling them like at a garage sale etc. There are many organizations you can donate to and so many people directly you can give too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.