Frugal Village Forums banner

HORRIBLE DAY :( - Long

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ncarr 
#1 ·
We live in a cheap, but very cute apartment. My only real complaints are that we don't have a yard for the dog, and we have next to NO storage. Also it's an old-ish place and we can hear EVERYTHING that goes on upstairs.

Since we've had the baby (well, before that), our upstairs neighbors have been incredibly loud. We never complained or thumped our ceiling or anything until we had the baby here, though. We should have complained to the office, or called the cops, but we never did. On two occasions after the baby was born, it got out of hand up there and we thumped the ceiling to make them stop. They did, but not without yelling smart-alec remarks. And even just in day-to-day conversation, they ought to get a Guinness award for dropping the F-bomb.

Since then, someone continues to break into my car, even though by now, they KNOW there is nothing in there to steal. Last week, they finally took our burned CD's (no big deal). But they also broke my center console. Our lock is broken and will cost $100 to fix; that's why they keep getting in there. In the mean time I've figured out how to lock that door, even though it's a pain to get in and out now.

Anyhow - the worst part happened today. My landlord, whom I've never even seen before, knocked on my door today like the d*** SWAT team and spoke to me in a way I've never been spoken to before. He was angry, rude, and just mean. To him I was just another young deadbeat, irresponsible student.

We are late on the rent, and I knew that. I was simply waiting for Friday to pay everything all at once. I didn't know it was so urgent. This place, unfortunately, is not managed very well. I've gotten wrong late notices, etc, in the past. We just assumed they hadn't' gotten around to sticking a notice on our door; it's happened before.

Anyway, the guy said he had put 4 notices on my door himself, so he KNOWS I got them. The problem is, I haven't seen anything!! He was going to evict me tomorrow!!! It took him some time to realize that I was telling the truth. It took me a while to realize what happened: Our upstairs neighbors must be taking them off the door so that we DO get evicted. They don't like the baby crying, and they don't like it when we tell them they're being way too loud.

I'm not an unreasonable person. I understand there is noise when you live in an apartment. That's why, even though if I recorded the noise and played it, anyone would be shocked at how loud they get, we never complained. But I can't believe someone would do that to someone else. Anyway, I went to the office and paid us all most all the way up. The landlord apologized. He believes me and offered to transfer us to another unit. All those times, we SHOULD HAVE complained about those neighbors. We SHOULD HAVE called the cops. And I can't believe anyone would think that I would EVER risk not having a roof over my precious daughter's head, just for the heck of it! I had no idea!

I'm just so sad. It was awful being talked to that way, and I just don't understand how people can be so cruel to each other. We have NEVER done anything to them. I want to move, out of spite, but maybe this could be an opportunity to downsize and save up even more money. Since I broke into tears when I went to pay him, and told him what I think happened, the landlord is going to waive all late fees and we'll be totally caught up on Friday. Our other neighbors are really nice - maybe I'll ask them to help us catch whoever keeps messing with the car. They'd probably be just as happy to find out once I explain to them why (their window looks right out onto our car).

The kicker? The house we've been so excited to save for? It sat on the market for 9 months. The owner was going to lease option it to us. I thought maybe what happened today was a sign that we should get outta here now instead of staying in this tiny place to pay down bills, putting up with these horrible people upstairs. And isn't it everyone's dream to have a direct view of the GREENISH-BROWN swimming pool that never gets cleaned out until Summer comes back around?

Well, the house I've been dreaming about for months is sold. As of yesterday. *SOB* :eek:uch:

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe you should take the landlord up on moving you to another unit. It may take a bit of tension away.

Has he to your knowledge talked to those people? If he had they probabaly would ramp up their efforts to get to you even more.

#3 ·
Wow. That sucks. I do not miss renting at all! At all! I feel for ya. Couple options, take him up on getting into a different unit or plan a move to a different apartment building.

Next time something happens though, call the police! File complaints etc. Document everything.

I'm so sorry things have been rough. I hope they get better very very soon.

#4 ·
No, I doubt that he has talked to them about anything concerning us. They're just very selfish, very young people, who I guess can't live and let live as we have done for them.

I don't mean to suggest that all people their age act that way. And I have to laugh to myself - since I'm only 32. :crackup:

It's just that it seems obvious that the landlord DID leave those notices on our door, and there's just no other explanation as to where they went.

We probably will move to another unit, though. They own several properties, so now we need to think about whether we want a larger place or a smaller one.

We don't always have issues paying our bills - we just got caught with a Direct Deposit gone awry and we weren't prepared. Thus, the reason I post here now! No more debt, and no more getting caught without a safety net. We want to Live Like No One Else.

#6 ·
I would definately take your landlord up on transferring to another apartment. Before you do though make sure you are just transferring and not having to pay additional fees like security deposit.

Anytime you are unable to make your rent payment on time immediately call the rental office or manager and explain the situation. I am sure right now with the economy the way it is he may be running into situations that are causing him grief. I have been in that situation and the owner/manager has always been understanding because it was not a regular occurance.

Sorry to hear it was upsetting the way he spoke to you but it sounds as if you stuck your ground and he realized he was wrong. This happens.

A couple years ago I went through a situation with my downstairs neighbor. It was pretty bad but I did move to another unit in the same complex and am very happy now.

Hang in there. I realize you want a nice home to live in. Things happen for a reason. It is not easy to wait for something you want. But paying down your debt and living financially within your means is a big payoff in the long run. You will get to where you want to be.

#7 ·
Anytime you are unable to make your rent payment on time immediately call the rental office or manager and explain the situation. I am sure right now with the economy the way it is he may be running into situations that are causing him grief. I have been in that situation and the owner/manager has always been understanding because it was not a regular occurance.
I did, when we paid half a month's rent. Here, they won't charge late fees if you pay at least half by the 5th. But the lady who normally runs the office has been on vacation and somewhere between her and the owner, there was a lapse in communication.

I asked him why no one called or emailed me when I didn't respond to the paper notices. He said, "She's been on vacation the last couple weeks!" Well, excuse me buddy! 1. How was I supposed to know that? and 2. Why do you not have access to your tenants' contact info?

#10 ·
IMO:

I'd take him up on the offer to move into another unit.

Also, ALWAYS call the police & file a report when someone breaks into your car!

Reactions: papayAsassin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.