Frugal Village Forums banner

Things Babies Born in 2011 May Never Know

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  ruderring 
#1 ·
I found this article today and wanted to share it with you all.

OldMan and I are constantly trying to teach Diva the "old ways" because there may come a time when the GPS malfunctions or the battery on her spoon-feeding-her-everything phone dies and she is left depending on herself. Simple things... maps, analog clocks, sun positions etc.

Take a peek at the list, I found it really though provoking, and a bit sad.

Article

#3 ·
I agree with you, some of those are a bit sad. Letter writing is one of them. The computer is so impersonal, and no one saves emails that I know of. I wonder what some of these will do to emotional intelligence and connections to people in real life. And IMO You can't always trust a computer to tell you everything correctly. Maps... Ooo there have been some bad ones with directions for me. One should know how to read a map!!

.. a lot of those on the list were because of the internet. How will our children learn to use the internet to show who they really are in stead of having separate lives like we do today. People have their internet life and their real life and sometimes they don't feel the same for various reasons. I wonder if they will figure out how to combine the two better.

The more and more I think about it, Electronics ruin a lot of things. Experience, in some ways is taken away. That's sad. Example. Reading a book on the computer or ebook reader. I have one, I love it, but I still read actual books more than my ereader. There is nothing like holding a book in your hand.

On the flip side, I have been able to meet a ton of people I would have never gotten the chance to meet. My mind is open and bombarded every single day with good ideas and new things to learn if I can sort though all that information. Again, some experience can be taken away. Instead of taking a craft class, I can watch Youtube videos on how to do something until I get it. Etc.

Sad.

#4 ·
What I was shocked by the article is they said in coming freshman class of 2014 many didn't know how to write cursive.

They still teach cursive where I live which was great the the children wanted to read notes in their great grandmother's yearbook 1920's.

Think of the history that would be lost if people forgot how to read cursive.

G
#5 ·
A few items I was sentimental for, but most of them I honestly agree with. I don't have a copy of the phone book in our house. Or encyclopedias.

I agree that technology has changed out lives in many ways, but I don't think hiding from it is the answer. Is there value in doing things without technology? Yes. Is it important for leaning and understanding? Yes. However, I'm not saddened by being able to use Excel to work my budget instead of pulling out a pencil and paper.

#6 ·
I was just talking about some of these things yesterday with my parents (they're in their 70's)...about what my iphone can do. They were surprised what all it could do! hehehe

I still write letters...and probably always will. I love getting a hand-written letter in the mail...there's something really special about it. :)

I do think it's important for everyone to learn cursive. Need to be able to sign documents, if nothing else.

Can't believe CDs are already on the way out, but Dh and I have been shifting all our CDs to mp3 format for a few months already, so guess that's true, too...hadn't thought about it that much. hehehe

#7 ·
The other day the electric went out. I was all set to sit down and watch some tv. Couldn't do that. Then I realized how quiet it was. The candle light seemed to dim to read so I turned on the transitor radio. I was really happy when the electric came back on. It did make me realize how dependant I am on electricity. I really do not have all the fancy gadgets out there!!

#9 ·
I still love flipping through an old fashioned catalog. I love shopping online, but a catalog is so satisfying.

Reactions: Booklover
#10 ·
A very sad, sad list :( I remember being in the 4th grade and spending what seemed like forever practicing cursive. My cursive is darn pretty, too, if I do say so myself :)

I still remember going to the video store as a little kid and having to take the little round tags off of the shelves and take them to the clerk to pull the Beta tapes LOL. And how excited I was about having a cassette player with headphones, and then a CD player...oh I was SO cool with my CD player :D

The strange thing is this one bothers me the most...

"Forgotten anything else: Kids born this year will never know what it was like to stand in a bar and incessantly argue the unknowable. Today the world's collective knowledge is on the computer in your pocket or purse. And since you have it with you at all times, why bother remembering anything?"

Reactions: Booklover
#11 ·
I disagree with a lot of that list.

Remember back in the 50's we were told by today we would all have robots in our house like the Jetson's? WHERE IS MY ROBOT, I HAVE DISHES TO WASH!!

Not to mention vacuuming, sheesh the dog hair around here.

Sorry, but that article was one person's daydreaming thoughts if you ask me.

I was also told by my neighbor not to put in ethernet (when I was building my house) because "Its all going wireless, no one will use ethernet or landlines in a couple of years." Well, that was 7 years ago and I'm still enjoying my ethernet cabling through the house and the speed it provides. Guess what, people still have landline phones too, I thought cell phones were supposed to obliterate that?

Hang in there and keep teaching cursive. :usa:

#12 ·
I guess a lot of boys are just going to miss out on the Sears catalog lingerie section.

#14 ·
Before quit working I workedwith a college graduate that couldnt do simple math...had to use a calculator to add an subtract. think it's things like that the kids aren't learning on hand is what they are going to need in future again sometime. Geez what happens if the batteries go dead and they can't get to the store or we have another Y2K and everything goes (kinda) haywire. They won't be able to function. JMHO

#15 ·
Neither of my boys have learned cursive and I now that I think about it from a historical standpoint as another poster suggessted I think that will have to be on the from home learning list. Years from now when sorting through things they would never be able to read any of the family momentos, love letters, journals, christmas cards,....and so on. Guess I'll start that soon.

#16 ·
What happens if technology fails? I will teach my newly born granddaughter all of the essential things to survive in case if this should ever happen because it could. I want her to know how to be able to survive without technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.