Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you graze?

Tags
graze
6K views 66 replies 46 participants last post by  Pianolady 
#1 ·
While shopping today I noticed a woman sampling the grapes,also observed a fellow taste testing the candy on the Brach's rack.Can't tell you how many times I have witnessed people opening fingernail polish to test shades or spraying deoderants. Just wondering..... do you taste test, graze or sample?

#2 ·
NEVER! We were just talking about this at my in-laws. Just awful! It's stealing for goodness sake! I don't know what's with people!

I might open a cap of a perfume bottle to take a whiff, but never spray it.

#53 ·
I feel the exact same way you do Polly.

The other day I was at Meijer picking out a bag of cherries and a woman came up to me and asked me if they were sweet. I said I don't know I didn't taste them. This goes on at the produce stand all the time. A woman actually picked up a piece of broccoli and started chewing it.

#7 ·
Never. If I haven't paid for it, it isn't mine.

When I see someone paying for an open package - a mother with children who ate some of the crackers, or a case like Sunshine's - that's different. But just random tasting and sampling, no. I once saw a woman (years ago) open jar of jam, sniff it, close it and put it back. Yuk.

#8 ·
I'll taste a grape or cherry if I'm planning on buying some to make sure they're not overly sweet or sour.

Reactions: annymoll
#19 ·
I do the same, usually with grapes.

Nope. If everyone tried only one grape, the bunches would end up being consumed. I don't see how people can justify stealing something, simply to see if it meets their standards.

Samples being handed out is different.
Same here. Sampling a grape is something that is encourage because you can return fruit if they were bad, sour etc and then they would have to toss the whole bunch. So they prefer to have someone try one rather the risk it and return them. So sampling one is considered normal. I don't see people doing it often. If someone does where are several asking how they taste to decide if they want some.
:rolleyes:

When I sample, its with the intent to purchase. I do not sample if I don't intend to purchase. That, to me, is stealing. Only once or twice have I sampled and not purchased because they tasted bad. And I am not going to eat produce that tastes bad. I either have to give it away or it will go bad.

What if I purchased them without sampling one, took them home and then tasted one and it tasted bad? I would then have to take them back to the store for a refund. They would refund my full purchase price, not the purchase price minus the weight of one grape. The store still has one less grape and now I have less gas in my tank too.
*snip*
This is too funny. I found myself agreeing with each person's argument as I read through, first mndtrp, then you two. Tasting a grape is a minor offense to me. I buy enough crappy produce that is "untastable" (an orange, an apple) that they can eat the cost - no pun intended :D - of me tasting one lousy grape for every couple pounds I buy LOL.

Reactions: Libby and annymoll
#9 ·
Our stores put out trays of fruit, crackers, dips, cold cuts, etc for people to taste. If it looks appealing and reasonably sanitary I try it.

I have had grocery managers encourage me to try the grapes, cherries, and other similar produce in the local stores, so I do. I got no problem trying *one* grape to see if they are sweet or sour so I know whether to buy them. The store managers here apparently don't have a problem with it either. It's not like I'm walking around eating the entire bag.

Now, I don't bite apples or rip open oranges, or open other sealed packaged items in the store... except sometimes for scented items. Yeah, I'll open perfume if it is not safety sealed. I never mangle the box and you'd never know I had a sniff at it. I can usually smell enough of it without spraying anything, so I'm not "using" the product. I open liquid detergent sometimes too to see if it is something I want on my clothes. Perfumes give me a headache so I have to be careful about them.

#17 ·
Our stores put out trays of fruit, crackers, dips, cold cuts, etc for people to taste. If it looks appealing and reasonably sanitary I try it.

I have had grocery managers encourage me to try the grapes, cherries, and other similar produce in the local stores, so I do. I got no problem trying *one* grape to see if they are sweet or sour so I know whether to buy them. The store managers here apparently don't have a problem with it either. It's not like I'm walking around eating the entire bag.
Same here. Sampling a grape is something that is encourage because you can return fruit if they were bad, sour etc and then they would have to toss the whole bunch. So they prefer to have someone try one rather the risk it and return them. So sampling one is considered normal. I don't see people doing it often. If someone does where are several asking how they taste to decide if they want some.

#10 ·
Never........ I'll do the candy thing, but only when it has the coin box with it..

I never get an item off the shelf from the front, only from the back for 2 reasons, one cos' of the sampler people and 2 cos' the ones in the back are less touched (slight bit of a germ-a-phobe here)..

#13 ·
Yes, I do sample foods that are on display and a person is handing them out or I ask for a sample at the deli.

So I was originally going to say no I do not open bottles or rip open packages. Then I realized that Yes, I have opened lotion bottles or shampoo bottles to see what they smelled like. I did this at a health food store since I didn't know anything about the products.

When working at a grocery store I used to get upset when someone came to the checkout with an empty canister of soup saying they wanted to pay for it after they ate it. UMMMM, we have to weight it before you eat it.

#18 ·
:rolleyes:

When I sample, its with the intent to purchase. I do not sample if I don't intend to purchase. That, to me, is stealing. Only once or twice have I sampled and not purchased because they tasted bad. And I am not going to eat produce that tastes bad. I either have to give it away or it will go bad.

What if I purchased them without sampling one, took them home and then tasted one and it tasted bad? I would then have to take them back to the store for a refund. They would refund my full purchase price, not the purchase price minus the weight of one grape. The store still has one less grape and now I have less gas in my tank too.

What about the occasional rotten onion/garlic/potato I get? I don't keep my receipts and its usually more hassle than its worth for me to go back to the store to get one onion/garlic/potato replaced. And if I did, I would be out the money I paid for gas, and my time is worth something. It was not the store's intent to steal from me but yet I am still out the money for that piece of produce.

#20 ·
The little old lady we saw was just happily scarfing away her grapes! She looked to be about 80 and she said,'" These things are expensive, try these red ones, they are good!" I told her," No thanks, I'll take your word for it"My husband was laughing and stating that at least she appeared to be getting her daily servings of fruit and veggies!I can't imagine eating fruit that has not been washed like that.I saw a child once licking grapes and putting them back! EeeKKKK!I reach a little higher and always grab the back bottles also, they have not been "tested" as much!

#22 ·
I sniff HBAs if they aren't sealed, as well as cleaning products. When my kids were little, if they were hungry at the store, I would open a package of something and then purchase it at checkout, but not if it was something that needed to be weighed.

I've noticed people are really bad about this at Bulk Barn. When I go there, my kids are given strict instructions that to eat it without paying for it, is to steal it.

#24 ·
Nope, I am not a grazer and I have taught the kids not to either. I won't eat any fruit or veggie without washing it first. Even oranges, lemons and other fruits that you typically do not eat the peel I wash first.

When the kids were little I wouldn't let them open a box of cookies, crackers or chips in the store even if I was buying it. But, that goes back to my style of parenting more so than my thoughts on grazing through the grocery store.

I will sniff a candle before buying it. But not if it is in a sealed box or the lid cannot be removed and replaced without tampering with the packaging.

I don't wear perfume.

I do open the caps on peanut butter jars, butter containers and any other grocery item that uses a safety seal located under the cap. I only open the cap to make sure the safety seal is still intact, close it and place in my buggy for purchase. If it is missing the safety seal, I take it to customer service so no one else gets stuck buying it. I've bought one too many items missing their safety seal when I didn't check for it.

Now, at Costco, I do enjoy sampling my way through the massive sampling stations they have. Who needs lunch after you sample your way through Costco? OMGoodness the amount of samples they offer will fill you up.

#26 ·
nope not here either. And I don't try the samples people are handing out either because 99% of the time it's somehting I wouldn't buy anyway and/or the representative can't tell me whats in it (my kids and I are highly allergice to mushrooms and fish....even the little bit if worchestershire sauce is an ingredient) And I don't test out HBA items because Lord knows what peole have done with the sample bottles. (I ve watched people sit there and mess around pouring soap into lotions etc. (took that to the clerk) but who knows whats been done to it before I got to it so I don't know that sniffing or trying a smaple would be a real representation of the product anyway. If I want to try something, I write down the name and look for it online, most companies you can email a request for a sample. I dont think I have gotten a "no" from many. ANd They often either send a coupon for a mini size of it or send one of those perfume vials (and a bonus one or two) also.

#28 ·
I guess I'm a produce wimp. Some fruit is tasty, ripe and sweet. Some isn't. Luck of the draw. It would never occur to me to take it back. In fact, I don't think I would ever return food. I have written a company when something was weird, like the block of cheese that when I I cut into it had a glop of clear gelatinous something. Boy, did I get some great coupons out of that one!

#29 ·
~Nope I've never sampled without permission from the store to do so(you know, big "TRY ME" signs). I also think it's stealing.
Just this week my DH brought home a bag of apples from Aldi that was rather light for 3lbs. I weighed it and then noticed that someone had removed an apple or two and retied the bag. Hubby didn't notice.
It drives me crazy seeing people sample. I always wonder what else they've been tampering with. Just another reason to wash all your foods carefully before consuming them at home.
I think the try a grape with the intent to buy argument is pretty weak. I've never had to taste in the store to learn which stores have good produce. After a few purchases I trust the store will have good produce. The store would similarly trust me if I returned produce for being inedible. I highly doubt they'd do a taste test before refunding my money.~

#31 ·
I think the try a grape with the intent to buy argument is pretty weak. I've never had to taste in the store to learn which stores have good produce. After a few purchases I trust the store will have good produce. The store would similarly trust me if I returned produce for being inedible. I highly doubt they'd do a taste test before refunding my money.~

(more eye-rolling) Yawn.

#30 ·
I never do, everything needs to be washed first. When I purchase Lady Speed Stick deodarent, I take the lid off and roll it up a little way. Too many times, I have bought them and they won't roll up for some reason. Then I buy that one because I know it works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.