Frugal Village Forums banner

Need help with Frugality & Simple Living-Don't know Where to Start

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  lyra 
#1 ·
I used to be a spend thrift and waste my money on clothes, shoes, cosmetics and food. Hardly have any savings besides also helping my parents financially.

Anyway..
I am now working from home (I quit my office job) and earn less than I did, also with the inflation, I have to watch my spending. I still have credit card debt I must pay off.

One person that inspired me to be frugal is my partner/BF (we didn't live together yet).He's a very simple man and I get interested in simple living & frugality because of him. I am also reading websites on internet about frugality and I am ready to change.

I am single, I live alone in a rented room. And honestly, my room is such a mess! I don't know where to start cleaning. I need help with decluttering and organizing..badly!
During my good income days, I spent a lot of money on clothes and shoes and they are piling up. Also some books and food items (dry stuff). My room is 60% messy 40% organized. That is the current situation. I have messy shelves and cabinets filled with old magazines which "I might read later.."

I also sold some cosmetics as a side income and cosmetic boxes from the distributor are piling in my room because I always think that they might be useful later.

I was born and raised in a messy house full of clutter and never had a clue about organizing & decorating. My mother was a hoarder and she had so much stuff that limit my childhood life. We never invite friends at home because of embarrassment. Mom is seldom home and always go out because she hates looking at the stuff and she never made an attempt to clean the stuff she accumulated.

I think I have explained quite a lot for this first post and will reveal more. Looking forward to get encouragement and advice. I need a frugal friend who can motivate me and exchange ideas on my journey to frugal living, managing clutter and living life in simplicity.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome! You'll gain a lot of friends and insight here. As far as the cleaning and organizing goes, take it one small step at a time. You may want to join the clean and organized home challenge for 2011. There are also more financial based challenges that may help to facilitate the change you are seeking. Best of luck to you!

#3 ·
mamachop,
Thank you for dropping by and giving me some ideas. Indeed this forum is filled with knowledge and I am looking forward to become a frugal and organized girl. That is my ultimate goal. I want to be a good home maker and be able to create a comfortable, homey house for my family.

I will try the clean and organized home challenge and financial challenge as well. I am in the process of job hunting as well. Thank you :)

#4 ·
Welcome, you will find lots of tips and ideas on these forums.

One of my favorite things is the 15 minute challenge. Do something, anything for 15 minutes. You will be amazed at how much you can do in 15 minutes. So to start you might want to just decide for 15 minutes, I will go around and pick up any papers or garbage that needs to be thrown out. Another one would be, for 15 minutes I'm going to pick up all the dirty clothes or hang up clothes for 15 minutes. Start with something easy and build momentum. Give yourself permission to stop after 15 minutes. You will be surprised how much you can get done.

As far as financially, the first thing I did, was do the no-spend challenge. A coffee or pop or lunch out every day adds up. I know you said you work from home now, so these might be different for you, but that is where I started. I bring my lunch to work and only eat lunch out twice a month instead of twice a week. Adds up really quickly.

Good luck, you will be able to do it...

Reactions: lyra
#13 ·
One of my favorite things is the 15 minute challenge. Do something, anything for 15 minutes. You will be amazed at how much you can do in 15 minutes. So to start you might want to just decide for 15 minutes, I will go around and pick up any papers or garbage that needs to be thrown out. Another one would be, for 15 minutes I'm going to pick up all the dirty clothes or hang up clothes for 15 minutes. Start with something easy and build momentum. Give yourself permission to stop after 15 minutes. You will be surprised how much you can get done.

I love this and frequently do it...especially for those tasks which I am dreading. I have gone so far as to purchase a kitchen timer and set it for 15 minutes. I made sure I got the kind that makes a loud ticking sound. I just keep thinking to myself...when the timer alarms I am done doing this task.

#5 ·
My suggestion would be that if you have a lot of clothes or shoes that you know you don't need, pack up a box full and donate them to Goodwill [or some type of charity thrift store].
It will help you unclutter and also help someone in need. And it will make you feel good, too.

#6 ·
Hello and welcome. :welcome:
You've come to the right place for many of your answers!!
I've learned so much since becoming a member here, and I'm confident you will also! Many, many wise members here...
:hug2:

#7 ·
I think the idea is to start small. You may feel pressure to get everything done right off but it will overwhelm you and stop you from making progress.

A trick for me is to find a small area, say your dresser perhaps, grab a trash bag and 2 other storage containers like a box. Then, for 15 minutes seperate the trash into the trash bag, the donate or garage sale into a box and the keep into a box. Work that area for 15 minutes at a time until the area is empty then clean it well with the type cleaner it needs to look and smell clean. Only put back what you NEED.

Then continue on with another area. Often when you hit your groove you will find you can work longer and find it easier to get rid of stuff once you learn to allow yourself to realise the most important lesson there is...If your STUFF is making you unhappy then GET RID OF IT!

It sounds like you are looking for some control in your life and controling your home environment is a great place to start and will spread over into other aspects of your life.

You can do this!

Welcome to the boards!

#8 ·
Welcome to frugal village! Check out the threads and the challenges. Baby steps lead to success and soon you will be clutter free and organized. Make yourself at home and will catcha around the forum! :)

#9 ·
it took me a long time to understand that i was NOT going to use it someday and that i needed the space now.

i also had this weird idea about feeling like "things had feelings" and that i would hurt an object's feelings if i gave it away. weird, i know. to break this weird thinking, i say to the object "i now let you go to someone who will love you and use you".

the books by sandra felton helped me immensely in this area. good luck.

#17 ·
Thanks, I also had the same emotional reaction when trying to get rid of things, especially sentimental stuff.
Yesterday I donated some ethnic dresses my ex boyfriend got me when he went on a trip to Turkey. Those dresses were lovely and beautiful but I never wear them anyway.

My relation with him ended few years ago, but I still keep the dresses (which I never wore). I donated it yesterday. And the people who receive it were so happy. The dresses were indeed lovely with beads etc. It took me a few years to finally do that.

#10 ·
I am now working from home (I quit my office job) and earn less than I did, also with the inflation, I have to watch my spending. I still have credit card debt I must pay off.
You quit your job while you still had credit card debt? OUCH.

#20 ·
Yes,because of company issues. I am job hunting now. I used to get more than enough from selling cosmetics so I wasn't worried with my office job that much when I had to quit.But things seem to get more tight and I want to make efforts to land a job.Hopefully this month. Please wish me luck.

How about if you put some things on EBAY? then you not only get rid of it but you also have some $ to put toward the credit card debt?
Thanks for the idea. I will do that also.

I have learned by watching my mom, don't go through the papers while your cleaning, put them in a box and go through it while your relaxing.. Mom has more than once thrown important papers away while cleaning..

As for financial help, this site is awesome on ideas...
Thanks for the tip. I will surely incorporate it. Wow I am so happy to find friends here and good tips to help me sort out and organize my life.

#12 ·
First step is to be willing to get rid of things, that's the hardest step.. "I might read later or I might wear sometime", but haven't done either in a month then it goes...

When I go to reorganize/clear out a room, I pick a wall of stuff and just start in, I have boxes (thrift store, papers, out of place items, etc.) and a trash can.. In no time, the stuff is taken care of.. I have learned by watching my mom, don't go through the papers while your cleaning, put them in a box and go through it while your relaxing.. Mom has more than once thrown important papers away while cleaning..

As for financial help, this site is awesome on ideas...

#15 ·
anything that you havent worn in 2 yrs....try to consign it. most consignment want classics or high end names...do a search in your area and ask around. you can make some $$$ consinging...dont just donate it all..go thru it and do attempt to sell it first.

if you have business clothing, try to consign and then donate to a battered womans shelter. just a thought. get a receipt for your taxes

do the 15 min challenge as others have suggested...great idea. you can clear a lot of clutter out in 15 minutes...amazing...

good luck.

#16 ·
I agree with the others start small but start somewhere pick a place to begin your organizing journey and just start cleaning up your clutter. You will be amazed with your progress and it will give you fuel to keep going cleaning up your apartment! It's contagious!!! My son isn't very organized so I just started w/his desk I organized his bank statements and bills put in a folder. then went from there.

#18 ·
Trishagirl, thanks for the tip. It's very useful. I am on my journey to be an organized lady :) I think that organizing and decluttering is a skill that we can all learn. I just need to have confidence in myself regarding this.

Updates on me

Yesterday I did small organizing and decluttering. I cleaned 20% of my room now. I put some stuff away and now my room looks wider and more better. I plan to do some work again today.

#23 ·
Great Start!

you can also sell items on Craigslist. This way, you aren't paying a listing fee or shipping an item. It's local to your area.

You can give items away for free of Craigslist also, or Freecycle.

I think if you are willing to give it away, you should give it to a non-profit organization so you know someone who needs it gets it, & so you can get the tax receipt - JMO.

I think that I may be at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. If I have too much stuff in a room, I can't breathe. I can't have too much clutter - I don't like "nik naks" These types of "things" suck up my oxygen.

Weird, I know.

As for the financial aspect: Have considered having a yard sale? Everything you sell gives you more space, and you can use the money towards your cc debt.

#25 ·
Update on Me
"Room 80%tidy now, Clutter & Mess only 20% left"

With the help of a kind cleaning lady who I know and used to help in my apartment area, I declutter and organize my room and it looks 80% tidy now. I only have 20% messy clutter spot which I plan to tackle next week.

The Cleaning Lady taught me about organizing and storing, I got some interesting tips from her. She kept going with the cleaning and decluttering when I felt exhausted almost like giving up. But I was so relieved and happy and couldn't believe my eyes when we're done! Before this happened, I thought there was no hope for me.. :)

I am so grateful & happy. I also have her some of my stuffed animal collections because she desperately needs a gift for her little daughter's birthday next month. She was so happy when I presented her the gift. I am also very happy to see my room. What a blessing! :)

#26 ·
Lyra, I can relate. My mother is a hoarder but she's getting better.

I love to keep sentimental items but I HATE clutter (thanks to Mom, lol). If I have an item that's in my way, but that I will never use, I take a nice picture of it, and then I donate it. That way I still have the memory, but not the clutter. Sometimes I print and scrapbook those pictures. It's a nice way to honor your memories and feelings without having items pile up that you can't use. The space and peace are more important!

#27 ·
Debt Ninjette, it was difficult for me to declutter & organize my room at first when I live alone, because I never experience it when living with my parents.

But I am determined to learn and I believe I can learn this. Although sometimes I am not confident with myself, when it comes to organizing. Now I am happy to go home and see a tidy room :) A kind cleaning lady I know helped me organize my room and taught me some basic steps in organizing & decluttering my place. I am so grateful for this :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.