Frugal Village Forums banner

Frustrating jeans shopping trip Daughter in tears

5K views 74 replies 33 participants last post by  erinalexmom 
#1 ·
Did they change the way jeans were sized/made?

We had not been shopping for clothes especially jeans for a long while as Little Miss has been wearing hand me downs for a while now.

The hand me downs are gone so we had to go shopping.

She had outgrown her pants and jeans so we had to go the the store. Seemed an easy thing to do.
She had outgrown size 10 so logic followed to try a size12 so we did. They were as tight or tighter then the 10 she outgrew and were so long.
14 didn't even fit right. We went to all the stores in town and they all fit this way.

Little Miss was in tears.

Since we needed some pants we did buy some velour work out pants in a 10 and they fit well but were to long also.

I'm perplexed.

#2 ·
It's those darned skinny jeans that designers/buyers think all the little girls should wear :rolleyes: They're meant to be (too) tight and ride (too) low. I don't understand it myself.

My girls buy their jeans at the thrift store because they refuse to wear the "hoochie mama" jeans sold in most stores (their words lol).

#3 ·
I hate shopping for jeans/pants. It seems like I have to try on every pair in the store to find one that fits and then they won't have my length in stock.

I did notice some relabeling of shirt sizes a couple years ago. I used to wear a medium, sometimes I would fit a small or large. Then one day it was like all the sizes got bumped down. What used to be a XL is now a large. Large is now labeled medium. I'm shopping in the juniors dept when I want something fitted because apparently my adult middle age shape is what teenagers are shaped like now. I'm glad I'm not the same size I was when I was 18, I'd be shopping in toddlers....

Reactions: imagine
#4 ·
Yes, unfortunately, low-rise is the new thing, and you can't find jeans that fit at the waist. I buy my jeans from Land's End and LL Bean, because they have NORMAL jeans (i.e, fit at the waist) and Land's End also has various sizes of leg and various types of material (i.e, reg cotton vs types of stretch). If you have a feed store near you, they often carry the traditional Lee's and such as well.

#10 ·
We checked the farm and ranch store. no lee's the children's section was also limited. Maybe everyone already bought "normal" jeans there.

#5 ·
It seems so sad that a 9 year old ( almost 10) can find jeans and the shopping trip ends up in tears.

#25 ·
Just re read this it should say can't not can

#6 ·
I had this problem w/my dd10 as well. What I found is that JCPenny's have a nice selection of plus size clothing....even though my dd is not what I consider "plus sized" but they come in half sizes. So when she outgrew her size 10's and the 12's didn't even fit her, I tried an 8 1/2 and they fit her so nice and the length was perfect!

What she liked about the jeans is that they Plus-sized jeans were exactly the same jeans that were found in the "normal" sized" girls section.

They do run some sales like buy one get the other for 99 cents...but it still comes out to about $20 per pair. But at the time I thought it was worth it, and she felt so good about herself.

#8 ·
Our Jc Penney girls' section did not have plus sizes. They had slim and regular but no plus. I wonder why they do not.

I also think that it is sad that a normal on the medical charts child would wear plus sizing.

#7 ·
I can't even find jeans that fit and I love the low-rise jeans. I have larger thighs (from all my years of running track) and long legs, but a skinny waist. I've found one brand of jeans that fits the best and sadly, even those ones are starting to feel all sorts of weird. I told DH that if I'm losing weight, I'm not buying new jeans until then and I'm in sad need of some.

#9 ·
I am dieting and have lost 13 lbs. as of today. I am wearing some OLD size 10 jeans (levis signature from WalMart). When I outgrew them, I went to WalMart and tried on same brand/style in a 12 and they were smaller than the 10's! I went to 14 - go figure.

I recently went to WalMart and tried on a variety of colors and styles of levis signature jeans in the same EXACT size and length. They all fit differently!

#11 ·
I hate to say it, but I buy all my jeans in the mens dept. They fit better, lower rise but not muffin top! I have my baby belly( my baby is 16) I also love the deep pockets! Wish all the luck! Back in the day, I had trouble finding jeans that were long enough. Came back in tears many times! If you find a pair, get several pairs, the always change the style!

#12 ·
Little Miss even tried the boys section in desperation. But not a go.

#14 ·
Imagine--not sure if there is one close to you, but have you checked the Childrens Place? girl - Newborn Shoes, Girls Dresses & Boys Pants | Kids Clothes | Clothing Store | The Children's Place

What I like about the store is the quality of the clothes (the only reason we ever buy Wesley more is because he outgrows them, he has never torn a hole in them, and they wash well), as well as the fact that they are age appropriate.

They have size 4-14 in flare and boot cut (NO SKINNY JEANS! WOOHOO--Seriously they make skinny jeans for babies.)

Sorry about Little Miss's troubles. I always have troubles finding pants to fit my leg length, so I know her pain!

#16 ·
She has some hand me down workout pants from them size 10 and I ordered a pair or velor ones on clearance from them size 10 also.

We don't have a Children's Place here and I'm getting a big nervous about buy jeans on line. I'm beginning to think I might have to go that way though.

Sure they have skinny jeans at Children's place in the big girls check pout the fit guild girl on the top with the bike and blue scraf
denim - Newborn Shoes, Girls Dresses & Boys Pants | Kids Clothes | Clothing Store | The Children's Place

#15 ·
I tried buying some clothes at Walmart late last year, because the prices were so good. NONE of them fit. I even tried going up and down in sizes. I wanted to ask whoever buys their inventory what exactly they used as a model of a human being, because it surely wasn't an actual human being!! Even the sweat pants fit weird!

#17 ·
I would also suggest looking at the petite section of a store. I am considered petite and sometimes can even wear kids clothes that would be a size 10 in girls pants. I do buy jeans if they fit in the waist and bottom but are to long. It is just a matter of hemming them. Usually the pants I get on clearance at a store are to long. So they get hemmed. I have found petites at JC Penny and Sears. Hold on a couple of more weeks and try again when the really good clearances happen.

It is frustrating not finding clothes that fit but when I would watch "What not to wear" they always seemed to think tailoring was fine. Only reason I am saying this is that your daughter may find this to just be a way of life. Not trying to sound mean. My sister always had to have her pants waist altered just because of her body shape and of course had to hem her pants.

Now that I think about it I pretty much have to hem every pair of pants I get because they are to long. Some petite pants are just a little to short length wise.

#20 ·
HEY! Don't hate on the skinny jeans! I've been rockin those since 7th grade :)

I've found that the "Sweetheart" cut at Old Navy in women's jeans is a higher rise and my favorite cut so far.

You have to remember, jeans have ALWAYS been a pain in the rear to find a "perfect" pair. All stores have different cuts, sizing etc. At some of the cheaper stores you may need to try on several of the same size just to find one that works.

#22 ·
HEY! Don't hate on the skinny jeans! I've been rockin those since 7th grade :)
Yeah, but my daughter is in 4th grade. I think she should be able to look like the girl she still is.

#21 ·
The sizes are all over the board I have found with my 11 year old. I just have her try on a bunch of different ones until we find something comfortable and don't worry about the size. She wears everything from a girls 14 to a women's 2. It's crazy!

#26 ·
I was just coming here to post something for you, I had to run a return into the mall so I popped into Children's place and grabbed a sizing chart. Size 10 is usually for kids 54-57' and 67-75 lbs. Size 12 is 57-60' and 75-85 lbs. Size 14 fits 60-62' and 85-100 lbs.

Not sure if that helps or not.

#28 · (Edited)
Yes that helps and it explains why the size ten's are long on her.

Short child. Everyone guesses her younger than she is. Might be the round face too.

Based on the chart, I think I would definitely have to have her try on jeans from there instead of buying them on line.

#27 ·
Poor kid. I can just imagine her frustration. With the size differences too...ughhh...poor kid. I'm a shorty and a roundy and its difficult to find pants that fit. If you know of any good thrift stores you might check there.

I had been buying a certain kind of pants at Walmart that I just loved. I could get them in "round" LOL and petite and they fit good. A few months ago I was needing more so I go and find out when trying on that my size is now 2 sizes smaller plus the waist is shorter so they no longer fit me. I've not grown any and in fact am a few pounds lighter so its the sizing difference.

#30 ·
My oldest daughter has shape problems for those pants and my grandson is different portioned (if it fits him in the waist, they are to short, and the other way around) She does most of her clothes shopping at Gordmans with out much problems..

#31 ·
I am sorry you are going through this I hate shopping for me or DD. DD is tall and very skinny but I will not buy her and she is not aloud to wear clothing that shows her belly or shirts with sayings on them. Why would she need a shirt that say hot chick at 7??? I am plus size and no two stores size anything the same for me or for her. My sister is very tall and very skinny and even she noticed a change in sizing she has gone from a 4 to a 8 now and has lost weight but they are making clothes so different.

#33 ·
Little Miss is long through the torso so like you finding shirts that are long enough (no tummy is the school dress code too) is hard. Shirt seem to be getting longer though and I have had a better time finding longer ones in stores then in our hand me down pile or at the thrift store. Add to that tunic and baby doll shirts are in style now so it is much easier now then I had found it in the past.

#32 ·
Several people have mentioned that sizes have changed.

That they have lost weight but were a bigger size.
Do you think this is because of the change is style of jeans or is it a fashion industry reset (no one longer having vanity sizing)

What do you think why the change?

#34 ·
I got my last pair of jeans from levi's website. I'm < 5' and middle aged, so I've ALWAYS had a problem, except when I was in college. In college, I used to fit "chubby boys" jeans, I wore a 28 x 29 and they fit. Try asking for chubby boy's size 16 jeans, they may not work, but they just might!

IHTH!

Judi

#36 ·
Size 16 would be to big for her even without a husky.

Hubby wants to know why girls clothes aren't sized like boy clothes.He says measure waist measure in seam and Voila.

#35 ·
My daughter buys the Aeropostale jeans for her daughter- she wears a zero, but she is so very short.It has been a challenge to find her jeans.I find for ladies jeans that the sizing appears different. I have always worn a size 6, now the size 6 jeans are huge around the waist, the seat and the thighs.I think this is due to the increase in girth in our society. Once I find a brand that fits well I do not change. I don't like the low rise, but I do not like them higher on the waist. I want them just below the waist.It's a pain to buy jeans at any age.

G
#37 ·
Not that I can offer any practical suggestions, but I used to work for a company that manufactured clothing for various companies (GAP, Old Navy, DKNY, Levi's, etc.). Here are 3 things I learned to bear in mind if you're in tears...

1. Sizing is NOT consistent from brand to brand. A Gap Small may specify a 26" waist and an Old Navy Small might specify a 28" waist. Even the numbered sizes aren't standard - one company's idea of a 12 will be very different from some other company's idea of a 12. Yes, some companies do have "vanity sizing."

2. You have no idea what the manufacturing tolerances are! I can tell you that for Levi's jeans, you used to get plus or minus an inch in the waist. So a 32" waist could be anywhere from 31" to 33" and still be considered in spec.

3. When you're manufacturing a bunch of garments, and you accidentally make too many larges and not enough mediums, the easier thing to do is relabel some of the larges as mediums. You simply sew different tags in them. Yes, companies do audit most shipments, but depending on how many you relabel, you can play the odds that you will have enough correct ones to be randomly pulled and pass the audit.

The moral of the story I took away for all this - TRY EVERYTHING ON and don't worry about what the tag says! I am 5'1", about 125lbs, and I have clothes in my wardrobe anywhere from a 4 to a 10. And the jeans I own tend to be size 10's.

#38 ·
They are making all girls jeans shorter on the hips. Shorter between crotch and waist. My daughter is short she went from wearing size 10/12 girls straight into junior 5/6 short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.