Frugal Village Forums banner

Bad day shopping - somewhat rant-ish

893 views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  annymoll 
#1 ·
Watch out, this is kinda long...:nrant:

Ok, so I’m trying really hard to be careful with my money and I had an episode yesterday that left me so frustrated.

I was at Wal-Mart buying some staples for me and picking up some stuff for my mom who gave me money to pay for her stuff. First, I get into the store without my list and once you’ve gotten into the store you have to circle all the way back around the front and get through the gauntlet of check stands to make it back outside. Since I had my girls with me (5 and 1) I just said “forget that, I’ll do it from memory.” Big mistake. It took twice as long to find what I went for because I kept stopping and thinking about what I really came for (did I want spaghetti? Pumpkin? Etc.).

Finally we get to the check out area and we have more than the 20 item limit for the “quick” lines. Only two regular lines are open so we hop in one and wait 15-20 minutes while the people in front of us deal with gift cards that don’t work, or chatting up the cashier, making her go more slowly. Ok, so now it’s our turn and I’ve got our stuff on the conveyor belt, separated between my stuff and my mom’s stuff and the lady goes “Oh, it’s going to lock me out I can’t do your order.” She locks her register turns off her light and walks away. Grrr!

So, I have to put everything back in the cart, get in the last open “regular” line and start the whole process over again. This time I’m behind a woman who has, like, half the store in her basket. Of course she and the cashier are friends so they’re chatting about everything under the sun. By this time, I’m frustrated, the girls are antsy, and the woman behind me is b****ing about poor customer service loud enough for the whole store to hear.

When it’s my turn again, I’m so stressed that I’m ready to scream. The woman rings up my purchases and it totals $37.58. I open my wallet and see that I only have $31.00. Instead of putting some things back like I should have, I reach into my pocket and borrow some of my mom’s money so I can pay in cash. (I’ve been trying SOOO hard to just pay cash lately because debit cards are my nemesis). I didn’t feel able to take the time to put stuff back because the woman behind me is drilling me with this horrid stare that says “If you take too long I’m going to run you down and smash your head into the ground.” (Ok, maybe not that, but you get the idea.) Anyways, the clerk rings up my mom’s stuff and because I borrowed money from her, I now don’t have enough to pay for her things with cash. I’m so frazzled that I just whip out my debit card and swipe away and get out of the store.

By the time I get to the car I’m hating myself for using the debit card and for caring more about what the people in line behind me thought, than my own goals. GRRRRR!!!!!:bang:

Anyways, what’s done is done and there’s no point dwelling on it. I just needed to vent to someone. Does anyone else have days like these? Does it get easier to ignore people and focus on your own objectives, even when the lines are long, people are agitated and your kids are tired and cranky?

Thanks for listening :)

See less See more
#2 ·
There have been times that I forgotten about my own objectives in order to not inconvenience someone else. I am trying harder and harder not to let this happen. The bottom line is that just because a store does not provide enough cashiers that doesn't' mean that the each customers shouldn't get the time that they need in order to complete there transaction in a satisfactory manor.

#3 ·
Hugs Don't beat yourself up over it.

First don't worry what the person behind you thinks ( or at least try not to) you aren't there to make a relationship with them.

Second, at our walmart people are always putting back things they don't have them money for. The cashier just rings it off and sets it aside. Some else puts in back on the shelf later. Takes almost no time.

I always go back from my list even if I have to drive back home. The greeters have laughed at me on that one before but I have earned their respect though, not that it matters.

#4 ·
Don't you just HATE these kinds of trips.

FYI, something I routinely do, is pay with both cash and a card. Give the cashier your cash and then put the balance on your debit card. It's much better to only put a few bucks on there then the entire purchase.

Also, it has helped my greatly to keep my butt out of wal-mart.

#5 ·
I've never been in a Wal-Mart where they lock their register while someone is in line...

Just an F.Y.I,, next time you go there and are a little over 20 items and have purchases for 2 different people, separate the items, and have them rung up separately.. If you are a prepared person and have your money ready, it actually doesn't take much more time.. I have never had anyone behind me mad at me when doing this... I don't put 20 items up, then 20 items more, the second time is usually just a few things or card loading...

I only use cash, I don't have a debit card from my bank, all I have is a prepaid credit card that only has money on it on the 15th of the month and the money is gone the same day, and a debit card from the bank my child support goes too, which is only $41 a month..
I always add up as I go even with small amounts... Never have been in that position at the register.. I also learned a long time ago,, never go to Wally crap when your in a hurry...

#11 ·
I've never been in a Wal-Mart where they lock their register while someone is in line...

Just an F.Y.I,, next time you go there and are a little over 20 items and have purchases for 2 different people, separate the items, and have them rung up separately.. If you are a prepared person and have your money ready, it actually doesn't take much more time.. I have never had anyone behind me mad at me when doing this... I don't put 20 items up, then 20 items more, the second time is usually just a few things or card loading...

I only use cash, I don't have a debit card from my bank, all I have is a prepaid credit card that only has money on it on the 15th of the month and the money is gone the same day, and a debit card from the bank my child support goes too, which is only $41 a month..
I always add up as I go even with small amounts... Never have been in that position at the register.. I also learned a long time ago,, never go to Wally crap when your in a hurry...

I do the same thing.

Add it up as you go - round UP.

If it's over 50 cents, I call it a dollar. You'll never be short on cash again

Also - you can always use your debit card for the amount over the cash in hand -

We've all had those horrid trips to the store - just shake it off.

#7 ·
Aww, that sucks. I think you let the people/thoughts of others get in your way. If you really don't want to use that debit card then leave it home or cut it up. But don't let others dictate YOUR goals in this life. I get flustered too but this isn't a race, its a process. The person behind you got a test of their patience, that's all, God delivered it personally. You got a test of your will power, God delivered it personally as well.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

#8 ·
Thanks all :)

I will be better prepared next time and will make myself go back for my list even if it's a hassle.

And I try to limit my Wal-Mart visits, but I live in a rural community and sometimes it's the cheapest place to get certain things.

Hope you all have a great day, and thanks again for listening!

#9 ·
Not that it will do any good but I'd write to walmart and tell them what that cashier did to you, that was wrong. Even if nothing comes of it at least you'll have the feeling of standing up for yourself.
Sorry for the stress.:hug2:

#10 ·
I have to say that IMO you did really well. You were over by less than $7. Seems great for a trip to Walmart. Think the long lines & other shoppers can really turn things into a really bad experience. I avoid Walmart for that very reason, but sometimes you simply have to shop there.

Gotta remember to see the positives though - definitely need your list in the future, perhaps add your items up before hitting the checkout & most important you earned the right to be given enough time to make your purchase or to have items removed from your bill if you'd like! I'll admit that others can make me feel the need to rush in that type of situation, but I've waited just like they have. Take the extra minute or 2 so you feel good about your purchase.

#12 ·
I worked for Walmart for 8 years. And yes, the register will lock you out, IF , you have been on the clock for over a certain amount of time, and you need to take your lunch, or get off the clock, or whatever. It gives you a 15 minute warning, then it keeps telling you how close you are, until it finally just stops. So that cashier NEEDED to get off the register..........but they should have had someone else get one it.
It can be very frustrating, I know. Sorry it happened to you.

#13 ·
Have definately had days like that. Especially when I want to withdrawl cash during the purchase.

One time at AC Moore a lady behind me kept on ramming her cart into me. I turned to her and said I am still here. She said she was making the line go faster. Idiots are all over the place.

#14 ·
Oh yes, I too have had the WalMart experiences! You made it out in one piece!!!What a cute little dog you have!! Give her some extra hugs, it helps with stress! LOL!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.