Frugal Village Forums banner

Holy Crap COLD!!!

Tags
cold crap holy
1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Hamada 
#1 ·
I am in a touque, two sweaters, jeans, my outter army pants (hand me downs) socks and slippers. I have my heat turned all the way upJust did this to see if it would the heaters would warm up at all) but still it is not getting warm in here or even comfy for the way I am dressed. If it doesn't warm up soon I am going to go get the supper because this is crazy! Until then I think I will do some baking, I also have a pot of homemade chicken soup just started. I don't know if it is just because this is a real old building the windows let in alot of cold air, the walls always feel like ice and on top of it it was -29 this morning with the windchill. But good grief!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
i'm in long sleeves, sweatpants, and socks with the heat on

#3 ·
You're in Florida danni! :laugh:

Not bad here today. It was like that a few days ago. Stay warm and keep a tap dripping!

#6 ·
#4 ·
I have my heat turned all the way upJust did this to see if it would the heaters would warm up at all) but still it is not getting warm in here or even comfy for the way I am dressed. If it doesn't warm up soon I am going to go get the supper because this is crazy! Until then I think I will do some baking, I also have a pot of homemade chicken soup just started. I don't know if it is just because this is a real old building the windows let in alot of cold air, the walls always feel like ice and on top of it it was -29 this morning with the windchill. But good grief!!!!!!!!
Is part of your heating system is outside? You might want to check that part to see if there's a problem there. That's the problem one of my neighbors (I live in an apartment) had some years ago - the outside part had iced over and wasn't working anymore. Fortunately one of my other neighbors noticed it and had me bring it up to her as she was an older woman and he didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable with having an unknown man knocking her door.

Also, do you have curtains/drapes to cut the drafts?

It's cold here too but not as bad as your area, it seems. We had anything from 9F-12F overnight in my area... without the windchills.

#5 ·
The heating system in the building is water heat. It is a six storey building. I can hear the water in the walls moving and running but my heaters don't seem to be getting warm. I do have curtians up and was thinking of going and buying some plastic to put around them.

#7 ·
It was cold here this morning too... -2F (without the wind chill - can't feel that indoors anyhow). I'm wearing three tops, jeans and wool socks sitting in front of my portable heater and still have cold feet.

#8 ·
I've had the windows open all morning - not because it is warm but because I needed fresh air!

The kids are bundled up and working. As soon as their room is picked up, I will start closing windows.

#9 ·
It's 20 here and im still freezing!

#10 · (Edited)
I got myself a few of the ten dollar walmart special heaters. They're made by "Sunbeam" and do a pretty good job warming up a little area quickly. I have one in the bathroom and one in the dining room, and one I take with me to point at me where ever I am sitting (at the computer in the office, or whille i am on the couch watching tv in the family room, whatever.) I use them on the coldest days so i am using the electric vs bumping up the more expensive gas whole house forced air heat.

#13 ·
Thumbs up on the plastic. We do it every winter. All windows inside, and we do our covered deck porch all the way around. When the sun is out and it's not freezing outside we open the back door and let the heat come inside. We have had to open the front door at times because it has gotten up to the 90's on the porch. Free heat. It's 24 here at the moment but still chilly, I have my lap quilt over my legs.

Cat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.