Frugal Village Forums banner

using up what we have

1K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  bumplett 
#1 ·
For some reason I have the urge to use up all the food we have in this house. My husband works in a grocery store and is always bringing something home. I told the family that we are cooking up what we have , this way I will clean out the deep freezer and pantry. It should take about 2 months but I want to have everything fresh.
I will only buy stock up food if it has the best price ever.

I will still but milk, fresh veggies and bread.

Today my husband bought another box of cereal home - hopefully this is the last because I have alot of boxes of cereal.

#2 ·
Great Idea. I need to make a clean sweep of the deep freezer.

Reactions: porembam
#5 ·
I'm in the middle of that project myself. I had made 60+ frozen meals last September, and we're getting down to the end - finally.
I've been busy using up bits of this and that which I am too frugal to throw away (an over-ripe banana which I froze, a handful of diced onion, that sort of thing)
Brings out the creativity in you!! (Wish my husband worked at a grocery - he once famously told me that "Kroger is out of margerine" when I sent him out for it :) )

#9 ·
this is what I;m doing as well, simply because I really need to cut back on spending and have entirely too much on hand, the kids say our house is a mini grocery store....but at least they are never without right.....

#10 ·
I am doing the same thing in order to eventually change to a healthier style of eating :) thats one reason I am in the clean out the freezer/pantry challenge and I am also in it to save $ for a few months so I can go on vacation in April. I figure I will use what I have and then when we come back from vacation it will be time for a fresh, healthy start for my family :)

#11 ·
great idea!

I wonder how much money we could save if we didn't go to the grocery store unless it was NEEDED vs. just a good deal?

I have a hard time passing up FREE items.

#13 ·
I've been trying to do this lately too, because the stockpile was getting out of hand. I've been buying markdowns at a local store and I knew I had a problem when I had to store a bag of items in the rec room instead of the pantry or the freezer. So for the moment I don't care how good a deal it is, I don't need it.

Have you asked your husband to not bring food home?

Reactions: porembam
#16 ·
Our DD cleaned out our refrig before she left yesterday - wasn't too much there - she figures I have enough in there for food for today and then will need to shop :)

We are really cutting back so it will be easier to do since the frig is cleared out.

#18 ·
I have been doing really good - I still have at least least 2 of each meats , so I think I will be done by the end of February.
My family has been very good - they are treating it like a game.
I am baking alot more to use up the pantry , it keeps the house warm.
I would like to empty the deep freezer and give it a good cleaning when I'm done

#19 ·
I also have a turkey I am using up this weekend.It was such a good bargain at Christmas I couldn't resist.I am deboning it and making a cranberry pear stuffing,and making a stuffed turkey roll with the breast.Some small strips of meat will go to a stir-fry.Will put the rest of the meat through the meat grinder for a turkey meatloaf and of course make broth from the bones.
I am also using up what I have in the freezer,have done really well so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.