Frugal Village Forums banner

Can older children get croup?

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  cheles2kids 
#1 ·
Can older children get Croup? DD started off with just seemed like a cold runny nose etc. Now she has a barky cough, and it is way worse at night. I know she used to get croup alot when she was under 3 ( I used to have to walk outside with her around the block alot) but I don't think I have ever heard of a seven year old with it.

#2 ·
I'm sure it can, especially if she's a kid who had croup a couple of times before.

Google 'croup' and click on the mayo clinic site. They had some good info. It could be viral or bacterial. If it's bacterial, you may need an antibiotic.

I'd say, as a nurse, I'd get some steam going in your house. When she has a real crouping jag, take her in the bathroom and turn a hot shower on. Let her sit on the toilet seat and inhale the steam. But you probably know that from experience......

Reactions: Rhiamon
#3 ·
Yes even adults can get croup especially if they have had problems in the past. My DS has asthma and he still gets croup occasionally.

#4 ·
I got the croup every time the seasons changed until I had my first child so older people can definately get the croup. My DS#2 got it several times a year until he was 12 or 13. My Mom always did the steam with me but it didn't work with DS#2. With him the cold air always worked better then the steam.

#5 ·
Yep...my 14 yo DS has croup as we speak...he is asthmatic as well. I had just asked a friend of mine if older kids still get it! Hope she feels better! My "baby" feels so cruddy!

#9 ·
Thanks everyone I called the Dr and spoke to the nurse, she said it sounds just like croupe. That because she was way better on the way to school this moring with the cold air. She said there is not much to do sleep with the window open and if she starts bad at night sit with her in the bathroom with the shower running. So I am going to go pick up a new inhaler for her just in case. But frig of course I tore my whole house apart and can't find my drug card. I am missing alot of stuff out of my purse. I think with my lack of sleep that I am putting stuff away and can't for the life of me remember where they are.

#11 ·
Well DD is home from school today. She is to sick to go. Now she says she has a sore throat so I had a look and felt her neck, her glands are swallon. She has been coughing pretty steady since she woke up, but I don't want to give her something because I want her to try and cough up what ever is in her lungs. She already had Pneumonia 1 1/2 ago. Plus they said she has illness induced asthma. I gave her some children cold meds last night and slept with the window open and she slept well. I swear I hope I don't get the Truancy officer at my door. She just started this new school on Jan 3rd, was out for almost a week with chickenpoxs and now this.

#12 ·
Yes they can...my oldest, now 17 yrs. old just had a bout of it last winter, so far we've been lucky this winter but winter isn't over yet.:eek:uch:

I noticed someone above me mentioned their child having asthma when they were younger, I think there is defiantely a link between asmtha & the coup, Allen, too, had asmtha when he was younger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.