Frugal Village Forums banner

Feeling panicky- bought a new car

865 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  NewLeaf 
#1 ·
It has been 2 yrs and we have paid off all of our debt except our mortgage. Our van was still in running condition but beginning to have some problems. We wanted to have a paid for vehicle for our teenage son to drive. Soooo, we went ahead and bought a used Ford Escape. We didn't trade in the van. We can afford the payments easily, but it has been so long since we have spent that kind of money (gotten into that kind of debt) that I came home and had a panic attack and then had a seizure ( I have a brain tumor/seizure disorder). Things worked out liked we planned, but I can't shake the panicky feeling of getting into debt again.

I just wish I could settle down and enjoy our "new to us" car. We will be letting our teenager drive the van when he gets his license. He will pay his own insurance as soon as he gets a job.

Being frugal has worked so well for me that I hate doing anything Un-frugal.

Thanks for listening to my whine.....

#2 ·
sounds like buyers remorse.

:hug:

It'll be alright - just focus on paying it off as quickly as possible!!

#3 ·
You could make a long-term game out of paying off your car early...make short-term goals like "I'll save 20% of our grocery budget this month and we'll put that money toward the car payment" and see how quickly the payments go down.

Best wishes!

Reactions: HappyMama
#4 ·
You are doing so well being frugal. I'm not sure what kind of interest rate you got on the loan. Sounds like you have good credit so the interest rate is probably very good.

Sit back relax and enjoy your new purchase. I'm sure you'll pay it off early!

Reactions: HappyMama
#7 ·
Thanks for the support. It's not really buyers remorse, it's just that I have a very, very hard time making large purchases. I usually won't spend even $50 without thinking it over first.....I love the car and we can easily afford the payments. I did my research and we got a very good deal, but I have panic over spending. Ah well. I'm starting to settle down and try to enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.