Frugal Village Forums banner

Space Shuttle Challenger accident 25 year ago

1K views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Luckybustert 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
I was at school. I remember them turning on the tv's that we had all assumed didn't work because they were never on. That was the only time I remember the tv's being on in the school.

#3 · (Edited)
Wow, hard to believe it was that long ago. I was home with Nicole not even 1 yet and pregnant with Mark & I was just so shocked & saddened and couldn't wait to see hubby to talk about it. He's always been a big fan of all the space projects and checks sites daily.

Reactions: imagine
#8 ·
I was at the university getting ready for my first class of the day. I knew the shuttle was going up that morning but hadn't been able to stay home and watch the tv coverage like I usually liked to do.

My boyfriend walked into the lounge where I was waiting and told me about it. I was really stunned that it could happen after so many successful missions.

#11 ·
I was at lunch at work and we were all waiting and looking out the windows in the lunch room. It must have been delayed a few minutes because I had to go back to work. We all had radios on so were listening for the count down. It went up for just a bit and then nothing. By then we all ran to the windows and all we saw then were the odd looking trails that everyone has seen on the TV.

like the rest of the world we were stunned. Seeing it with your own eyes was something you don't forget. It was certainly tragic all the way around but the thing that everyone kept saying was the "school teacher, the school teacher!"

From where I live I can step out my front door and look to the north and see the shuttle and any rocket they launch from the Space Center. That is once it clears the treetops. I can't see the lauch pad or anything. My inlaws live on the river several miles closer and they can see the VAB building in the distance across the river.

#12 ·
~I was probably in school. My younger brother likes to tell the story of how my mom thought he was lying/making up stories when he came to tell her that he just saw the shuttle blow up. He was about 4. He did make up a lot of stories and had a great sense of humor as a kid so I can see why she would think that. Unfortunately it really did blow up. :( ~

#13 ·
I was like you, Darlene, I was home, had a toddler, and I was PG.

My toddler was 2-1/2, though, and he kept watching the TV (as they played it over and over) and saying "UH-oh." Even he knew something was wrong, seeing that trail of smoke coming down....

#14 ·
I was in 11th grade sitting in drafting class when the electronics teacher came over and told us the space shuttle just blew up. My drafting teacher turned on the tv and we all sat around watching the news. Everyone was very somber.

#15 ·
I was in my 6th grade class and we all watched it happen on live TV. It's true; I will never forget seeing that.

I also remember that there was lots of interest in the event at school leading up to the launch, so it was a big deal and probably school kids all over the US were watching.

Kara

#22 ·
We were stationed in Misawa, Japan, at the time. I remember watching it on TV and being absolutely shocked. I think it was even more shocking that it would have otherwise been because of the teacher who was selected to be part of the mission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.