Frugal Village Forums banner

So alot of us are about to get slammed with snow

2K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  momof2boys2005 
#1 ·
What do you do to prepare for it? Hopefully the power will stay on since the heat and stove is Electric but if it doesn't do you all have any suggestions for us? The only thing I know to do is pile on the blankets and huddle. It's cold so we can put the refrigerator food outside and it will stay plenty cold enough. I am hoping the stuff in the freezer will be ok if we don't open it . I made sure there was salt for the outside and dh will make sure there is plenty of gas and oil for the snowblower tonight. I got extra pet food and litter today . It was on my list for the end of the week but I dont want to have to worry about it. I have plenty of candles and matches and lighters. Batteries are abundant and I will have dh round up all flashlights. I am also charging everything that we charge like Cellphones, The kids Ds's ,Ipods, my Kindle and the laptops (they won't be able to get online but they could watch movies). There are plenty of games , books, and puzzles. I have the laundry hamper empty and will do up another load first thing tomorrow. The water is not effected by a power outage here but I have plenty stored up. I made sure I have dd's heart pill prescriptions full and other dd's has a fresh in the box inhaler if she should need it. So what am I forgetting? There must be something , I just don't know what it is. Of course of I did, it wouldn't be forgotten . LOL.

#2 ·
sounds to me like you are prepared.

Thanks for mentioning charging things up like phone, ipod, DS. I would have forgotten about those.

I would think the freezer would be okay if you didn't open it. My father always taught me to top of the freezer with milk jugs of water the frozen water helps keep the freezer cold in a power outage. You also have a nice supply of clean water if you needed it.

#3 ·
We've already got significant icing - and looking for blizzard conditions later tonight/tomorrow.

We have a kerosene heater, and small generator (will be able to run sump pumps, etc. ) and plenty of fuel for each (enough for about 2 weeks each). My kitchen range is propane, but the oven won't work without electricity. We'll be able to cook on the burners though, and I can hook the microwave to the generator for a short time if needed.

We have lots of blankets, etc.

We've piled the livestock with straw for warmth, and loaded the feed bins.

We've got the oil lamps cleaned, I've printed off some crochet/knit patterns (instead of just reading them from the computer screen as I generally do). . . games, books, etc.

Temps here are predicted to be subzero - so I"m not worrying about my freezer in the summer kitchen.

#4 ·
Sounds like you are prepared Kim. I am in a snow area, but use to be in a bad snow belt years ago. We are getting it bad here !

Here are some tips:

Refill prescriptions.
Get your prescriptions and pharmacy supplies before the snow falls. A snowstorm can keep you inside for several days. If you are on regular medications it's important to be sure that you have enough on hand. Diabetics should take inventory of any supplies that may be needed.

Be sure your flashlight is in working order. If not, get a new one and buy extra batteries. The same goes for a radio or battery operated television. Flashlights can be very helpful with small kids they are less afraid if you lose power and you don't have to worry about fire hazards. You will also need a non-electric can opener.
We keep candles, and oil lamps at the ready.

Campstoves and heaters.
Inspect the condition before the snowstorm. Be sure that your equipment is in good shape. Check your fuel supplies. Search the internet or call the manufacture for advice on any needed precautions.

Keep food stocked up, things to make quick without heat. Snacks etc. If you see a storm coming bake and cook before hand in case you run out of power. Keep things like water, dried milk, trail mix, dried fruit and nuts stocked up.

Oil or gas.
Check your supplies. Arrange for a fill up as far in advance as possible. Be sure that tires are at the right pressure.

Blankets and sleeping bags.
Make sure that you have extras for every person.

Clothes
Don't put off doing the laundry. You may need the extra clothes. Do this in advance of the winter weather if at all possible.

Stock up on water, and fill the sink and tubs if need be before a storm.

If you have a wood stove or fireplace, make sure you have wood stocked up and already seasoned.

Keep warm everyone.

#6 ·
Believe it or not---me and DH drove NORTH last night. To our cabin. It's not supposed to snow here, but at home (Ohio) we are getting a foot!! (they said anyway.....)

By the time we go back in about a week, they'll have cleared the streets and everything. :thumb:

Y'all take care with this snow coming!

G
#7 ·
I second the candle/oil lamp suggestion.

I would also suggest if you don't have a generator, know someone that does. We lost power for 6 days in the big ice storm of 2008, and we had DS stay at his grandparents, since we didn't want him to be freezing cold (house got to 50).

Generator is still on the list of things for us to buy - figures last month we got a snow blower. We have 2 feet on the ground here, they are predicting another 16-24" with a possible 1/4" of ice in the next 2 days.

#9 ·
We are right in the area for at least an inch of ice and snow, several inches...of course, the generator isn't working...hubby is working on it now.

Something I do, when we had an ice storm several years ago, was I pulled my gas grill up to the back door on the deck and heated or cooked things on it...worked great...

Today, I did tons of laundry, cooked several things ahead that can be reheated....got the oil lamps ready to go, games, books and movies, just in case we don't lose power...good luck to you all...

#11 ·
I have a question, please: I have a chest deep freezer with not much in it right now. If I lose power should I quick move Fridge and fridge's freezer stuff to the deep freeze or leave everything alone and keep all the doors shut on them? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jamielane
#12 ·
Do you have some containers you could put water in, and make some giant ice cubes now. How about some plastic gallon milk jugs ? If you lose power, move the stuff to one unit with your giant ice cubes. I think your chest unit would stay colder longer than a upright. And then after you move things, try not to open any more than necessary.

#13 ·
It's snowing right now and supposed to be worse tomorrow so though I have lots of stuff in the house
I baked 2 batches of cookies
2 kinds of muffins
4 loaves of bread
I've got a roast and a chicken crockpotting. If power goes out those are good as cold sandwiches. Tomorrow I'll make extra coffee and put in the thermos.
I've got some jugs of drinking water so if we have to drain the pipes we've got some to drink.
We've got gas for the generator.
The lanterns are ready and flashlights have new batteries.
I charged up the portable dvd player, the kindle and the kids' portable game things.
We've all got warm sleeping bags and there's wood for the fireplace.
The worst thing is cooking on a grate in the fireplace but it can be done 'cause we've done it.
Oh, and I got out the Euchre deck.

#14 ·
Even the time we had over a metre of snow, we were still able to get out in two days. So I really only worry about getting through 2-3 days on our own in any emergency.

I don't have a huge stockpile, but we won't starve. The cold room is as cold as the fridge, the outside is as cold as the freezer, so the food won't spoil. The wood stove heats the house, the cooktop is propane, so we can still stay warm and cook food.

We have no water in a power outage, so I need to draw off water before the storm if I think the power is going out. I really should start saving something to store water in. Would milk jugs work, or would they always smell like sour milk? My parents are 5 minutes away and their water is not effected by the power, which is only useful if I am not trapped in my house behind a wall of snow or ice.

I don't have lanterns or candles, and wouldn't want any open flames in the house anyway. We have a couple wind up flashlights, but would pretty much just have to go to bed early.

The house is wired for a generator, but we don't have one. I won't get one unless we find the power goes out frequently; so far we haven't had an outage since we moved in.

#15 ·
We are due for 10-12" here, which is an enormous amount, our snowfalls are typically 1-2" with 6" being a big storm. If it's just snow I think we'll be ok, but if we get ice the power will eventually fail. Our lines are underground, but not the ones that feed into this neighborhood, and in the big ice storm of 2002 (we had 3" of ice) transformers all over the city blew out.

I went over the supplies this morning. We have candles, oil lamps and flashlights to spare. I have a working radio with a working battery in it. Folding stove and plenty of sterno and liquid fuel for it. Enough food for us and the kitties for a week.

Everything here is electric except the water heater, so while we won't have heat we will have hot water for showers. :)

In the 2002 ice storm we made it 4 days before the house got so cold I couldn't stand it. The storm this time around is supposed to start Tues morning and go all day into Thurs. I am going to do like a friend suggested and keep the heat high tomorrow so it will be plenty warm in here if/when we do loose power. I don't usually leave the heat on overnight but tomorrow I will as that is when we are most likely to go dark, after the snow has gotten too heavy on the trees.

I have two new books to read and so does DH. What I remember from the ice storm was just being cold and bored and making a lot of tea and cocoa on the camp stove.

#16 · (Edited)
Expecting a significant ice storm tonight through tomorrow. Expecting power outages.

so far I've

-filled 2-5 gallon buckets and one cat litter bucket to flush the toilet

-got a few loads of laundry done

-brought out the tea candle lanterns

-filled all pitchers, a soda bottle, a 1/2 gallon milk container, a soup kettle, and the tea kettle with water

-DH went to the health food store to pick up herbal medicine

What I need to do yet

-get DS1 to pick up a few gallons of water, batteries, some paper plates, cups, etc. and some toilet paper.

-have everyone get a shower before the ice comes. In the event we lose electric overnight, there will be no showers in the morning.

-fill oil lanterns

-make sure all games are charged

-get some food cooked so we have food ready to eat

-get more laundry done

#19 ·
We have a whole house generator with a power transfer switch. In the event of an electrical outage the system will convert over to natural gas. I did make sure that we had household supplies,pet food,batteries and flashlights, all vehicles were gassed up and that there was plenty of wood brought up and in the woodshed.If there is a power outage we will have company.Our gravel road is drifted over in places, we have used the tractor to blade it off. No one has been down the road that I can tell since this morning.We are having to break ice at the farm, it is already a mess.Stay warm and safe everyone!

#20 ·
Just received word we will have another "snow day" tomorrow, schools closed due to freezing temps.

Once again, I just don't want to lose power, that's all I care. Recently my bf sent me a case of hand-warmers so I have those and I gathered all the candles and matches up last night.

Oh, and last night I did find a couple of containers to fill with water for the deep freeze, thanks for that tip!

#21 ·
Hang in there guys!! Our storm is coming from 11 tonight to 11 tomorrow morn. We are set w/ foood,batteries,flashlights,candles,paper plates,cup and plastic silverware. I took out emergency cash and got sidewalk salt. DS filled both the cars w/ gas. DH filled the wiper fluid last week. I was thinking about cooking an extra dinner in case of power outage. Poor DH works at home so no days off. DS is expecting 2 days off. Should go fill some water containers but I am beat. DH needs to check on the generator too I know the blowers ok. And that we have some gas and gas/oil already. Almost forgot to charge my phone!!

#22 ·
We got significant ice this AM, lost power around 11:30 - got power back at 8:00 PM, but it's iffy , going off and on.

We're fine - heat, light, entertainment, food -- all good.

Our area has declared a level 3 emergency (has never been declared before). . . . no one allowed on the roads except emergency vehicles (police, fire, ambulance). Most everything else is closed anyway.

#24 ·
This is the only storm I think that is going to miss us. I do have to say however that I am so impressed with how everyone is prepared! You all rock!!! Stay safe everyone, I'll be thinking of all of you! :hugz:

#25 ·
Well, we've survived the first day. Lot of snow but less than they were predicting. We are snug in the house. It was blowing so much nothing built up in the trees to bring branches down, and we had no ice. Yay!

Everything is closed. Schools, roads, airport, businesses. They are telling people to stay home, etc. DH said a plow went down our street ... they must be on the ball here because we always get plowed last, if at all.

DH is staying home tomorrow and we will look for the cars....

#27 ·
One thing I noticed about a paralyzing bitterly cold snow storm.

It is so quite outside. No trash truck, no cars, no barking dogs. Nothing is going on outside.

The only thing I can hear right now is the reassuring hum of the furnace and my children giggling upstairs. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.