Frugal Village Forums banner

Power Outages in Texas

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  HappyMama 
#1 ·
Dealing w/ purposeful power outages here in South Tx. Companies are cutiing some people's power for a few hours so that others can use power for a few hours....alternating areas.....so I'm trying to get things done before we get hit again.....its going to snow tomorrow (rare for us) & Friday...its now 29 w/ windchills in the teens - dang! Stay safe everyone.

#2 ·
How do they do that?

Here when we are out of power it is because the power can't get to your house some link or line went down to your area.

#5 · (Edited)
Hubby who is home for a snow day explained it to. It seems to be something that happens when demand is higher the supply. That is not normally the reason for black outs here. Learned something new today :)

#3 ·
Yep, I'm in central Texas and it's the same here, rolling power outages, which is really rough when you have multiple aquariums. The fish really don't do well without air and heat. Luckily, I'm home from work today so I can monitor everything going up and down. Here, it's down for about half and hour, then back on, which is, I suppose, better than for being down hours (or DAYS) at a time. We are TOTALLY ill prepared for this kind of weather. I still feel very fortunate. My sister is in Kansas City and dealing with crippling snow and cold, and a three-week-old newborn to care for.

#4 ·
Stay Safe and warm everyone. Very familiar with rolling black outs for power, ( on purpose to conserve and rotate power amongst people) when I lived in N California.

Sorry you all are dealing with it. We had a blizzard ice storm here and power was sketchy last night.

Reactions: imagine
#6 ·
My FB friends haven't been to happy about that today. It is pretty much happening all over Tx. Just don't let it spread into your neighboring states!!

#7 ·
Nothing like that here in my east Texas neck of the woods although it is a big state!

Dh has the generator all ready to go just in case anything happens. No snow expected until Friday my my goodness it is COLD out there(and kinda cold in here dang my penny pinching ways! LOL) and like a nut I ran around in it all day.

Remember if you are on pier and beam to see about shutting off your water and clear the drains! They say at 100 hours of below freezing pipes will burst!

Good golly, those of us in Texas don't know how to live in this cold!!!

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.